Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

Tractor Beams, positive upgrade

In my opinion ( and that of my fellow players ) TB are a very, very good upgrade to x wing. At first it was viewed with suspicious eyes...catch the enemy with a TB and... Boost???

After many games they have proven that they are ok. Not.overpowed but change the way you must fight. Many PS 3 Interceptors in my hands ended over a rock, laughts and very tricky. In a IG 88 simply SUPERB, Ions + TB are tons of fun. A weapon that is really.dual purpose. This turn pull the enemy to aid your wingmen. Next turn, push the target to help your friends.

I am so sorry that the G-1a is only mediocre. Perhaps I am an Heretic, but we equip the Mist Hunter limited title on every G-1a and it works OK.

So, if you have no experience with this, proxy and give it a try.

In my opinion ( and that of my fellow players ) TB are a very, very good upgrade to x wing. At first it was viewed with suspicious eyes...catch the enemy with a TB and... Boost???

After many games they have proven that they are ok. Not.overpowed but change the way you must fight. Many PS 3 Interceptors in my hands ended over a rock, laughts and very tricky. In a IG 88 simply SUPERB, Ions + TB are tons of fun. A weapon that is really.dual purpose. This turn pull the enemy to aid your wingmen. Next turn, push the target to help your friends.

I am so sorry that the G-1a is only mediocre. Perhaps I am an Heretic, but we equip the Mist Hunter limited title on every G-1a and it works OK.

So, if you have no experience with this, proxy and give it a try.

It works the best on VI titled Rexler or Vess. Rex has high PS and a second attack, Vess has Mods for both attacks and is easier to build around. 

The TB seems very powerful. I'm surprised more lists don't use it. Perhaps the abundance of palp aces make the TB less sexy.

Giving up an attack is often too great a cost. In most situations, it would have just been better to deal the damage that could have been dealt by that attack.

It will find its place when Imperial Veterans hits the table. TIE/Ds with Tractor Beam will be quite common. Until then, it's difficult to find a place for it. Not to say I haven't seen it work to great success, but in general, it's a "throw it in a list because I have an extra point" kind of upgrade. That wouldn't even be the case if it weren't at such a cheap price point.

I'm messing with TBs on Bro-Bots.  So far, I find that they are decent against Aces.  If you are shooting at OL, the Inquisitor, or Whisper they would normally take one damage on their shields so you wouldn't trigger IG88Bs ability for the second attack.  If I'm shooting at them with the TB it is because I can toss them on a rock; makes them think harder about just eating the first shot.

I'm not sure about it against swarmy lists.  The bots need to do a lot of damage quickly, I can TB something and prevent it from shooting me that turn but it may be better to take mangler or HLC shots and try to get it off the board quicker.  More testing needed but it is probably very situation dependent.

Even if you never fire them, they can change the way the enemy flies - more caution around rocks, especially.

That alone is worth plenty. :)

Do wish they could mess with bigger ships more, though. Or maybe I just face too many bigger ships. ;)

Edited by Reiver

At competitive level, tractors are sadly probably only ever going to be used by TIE/Defenders (after imp vets re released) and the occassional Mist Hunter.

The brobots quite enjoy using them, but they can't really afford even the 2 points.

I'd personally consider using it on a Lambda shuttle.

I do have to admit though, tractors are fun in casual games :)

I consider them to be tied for the worst design FFG has done, phantoms in general bring the other. They make no sense thematically, or mechanically

In theme, there are only two ships in the OT that get tractored. The Tantive, and the Falcon. Both by other extremely large ships. The idea that something like an Scyk can tractor something the size of a punisher, with out the bean also moving the Scyk is absurd. The inevitable heavy tractor they will have to make for large ships to tractor in other large ships, like the way an Aggressor would, will help ease that. As well the Epic tractor beam hard point they will likely put with a Scum huge. In the mean time, what the F continues to be asked.

Mechanically, I can have a pilot willingly blow through two rocks on one Maneuver if given the chance, but I can't order them to boost or barrel roll into one for completely nonsense reasons. Even though those actions would technically be part of the Maneuver itself. But my opponent can force them into even just a piddly little debris field that even I couldn't convince him to go into for cover?! Why does my opponent have the ability to make my ship perform a negative effect that I can't myself as it's controller? Should I not be afforded the same strategic options? Yes, I want to be able to barrel roll onto asteroids if it means I won't get shot, even if it is risky and costs me my own attack chance and potential damage. But that's a power strictly I'm the non-controling players hands? Wat? Not to mention as a tractor beam it can't even fulfill its role of pulling me into one position as it can't force me to stop. So other than Dorking around, it actually serves no functional purpose out of combat by the look of things. Can't even stop me, let alone pull me back towards itself to capture me. It's just a troll gun. And the counter? Don't play rocks if you are playing small ships, and try not to stress out even though it won't save you, and shoot first before your plan of attack that you carefully planned is ruined, with out any play option for you to stop it.

Card is sh##

And the counter? Don't play rocks if you are playing small ships, and try not to stress out even though it won't save you, and shoot first before your plan of attack that you carefully planned is ruined, with out any play option for you to stop it.

The counter is to stop ranting, think about the problem for a couple of seconds, then take the obvious answer and position yourself in such a way that he can't put you on a rock.

By way of example, I was running Vessery and the Countess on Vassal last week, and encountered another Tractor Beam-toting Vessery. We had both of us brought the biggest rocks we could find, but he had initiative so he could throw my Vess onto a rock before I could shoot. It took all of two barrel rolls to keep him from doing so: one to put Vess in such a position that a forced boost or roll back the way he came was safe, and another from the Countess to block the only direction that wasn't safe. He got the Tractor Beam off but was completely unable to do anything useful with it, then his Vessery copped Tractor-primary-Ion-primary in return and died in a flaming wreck.

They're also kind of not that great against large ships, and are a strong counter to small ships.  I'm really on the fence about the brilliance of its design.  

I would have liked that if a large ship gets tractored twice in a turn, it gains a stress token.  

I consider them to be tied for the worst design FFG has done, phantoms in general bring the other. They make no sense thematically, or mechanically

In theme, there are only two ships in the OT that get tractored. The Tantive, and the Falcon. Both by other extremely large ships. The idea that something like an Scyk can tractor something the size of a punisher, with out the bean also moving the Scyk is absurd. The inevitable heavy tractor they will have to make for large ships to tractor in other large ships, like the way an Aggressor would, will help ease that. As well the Epic tractor beam hard point they will likely put with a Scum huge. In the mean time, what the F continues to be asked.

Mechanically, I can have a pilot willingly blow through two rocks on one Maneuver if given the chance, but I can't order them to boost or barrel roll into one for completely nonsense reasons. Even though those actions would technically be part of the Maneuver itself. But my opponent can force them into even just a piddly little debris field that even I couldn't convince him to go into for cover?! Why does my opponent have the ability to make my ship perform a negative effect that I can't myself as it's controller? Should I not be afforded the same strategic options? Yes, I want to be able to barrel roll onto asteroids if it means I won't get shot, even if it is risky and costs me my own attack chance and potential damage. But that's a power strictly I'm the non-controling players hands? Wat? Not to mention as a tractor beam it can't even fulfill its role of pulling me into one position as it can't force me to stop. So other than Dorking around, it actually serves no functional purpose out of combat by the look of things. Can't even stop me, let alone pull me back towards itself to capture me. It's just a troll gun. And the counter? Don't play rocks if you are playing small ships, and try not to stress out even though it won't save you, and shoot first before your plan of attack that you carefully planned is ruined, with out any play option for you to stop it.

Card is sh##

Oh man . . . .

First off, other things that aren't in the OT but are in the game include the HWK-290, the E-Wing, the Z-95, the TIE Phantom, the TIE Defender, the Decimator, the Outrider (well, okay, it's in that one shot in the remastered ANH), the Starviper, the Scyk, the G1-A, the Khiraxz, the K-Wing, the Punisher, the Hound's Tooth, the Jumpmaster, the Inquisitor's TIE, the Ghost, the Phantom, and things like Y-Wings shooting ion cannons, or B-Wings shooting ion cannons, or A-Wings shooting missiles, or X-Wings being able to equip torpedoes that aren't protons.

Really, the MAJORITY of the game is not stuff we see in the movies. Look at the EU and you will find plenty of examples of tractor beam use, including TIE Defenders equipped with them. You'll also notice that only small ships can be moved around by tractor beams -- large ships are immune to that effect.

In terms of mechanics . . . the mere fact that the TB uses the barrel roll mechanic does not mean that it is supposed to be the same as a barrel roll. It is meant to be purely detrimental to the player controlling the ship. Barrel Rolls as an action would be -- in my opinion, at least -- HUGELY worsened if you were allowed to land on obstacles. There's about one time in a hundred when I would actually WANT to put myself on a rock; the other times, I don't want to have to worry about it. If I really want the cover, I'll fly the frickin' ship onto the debris with my initial maneuver. Or I'll realize that adding a die is almost always worse than just taking a focus or evade, and just do that instead :P .

I'd like to see an amendment to the Tractor Beam.

Firstly to be able to use the 1 Bank template on both the Barrel Roll and Boost part of the effect.

Secondly add that the Boost can be made from the rear guides.

Atm its not even worth its 1 Point.

I'm messing around with them on my B's....

two ion cannons and two tractor beams can be very nasty, although the damage reduction isn't a strong point of the list. More of A "push off the table edge" than a "Destroy your opponent" list.

Card is sh##

Oh man . . . .

First off, other things that aren't in the OT but are in the game include the HWK-290, the E-Wing, the Z-95, the TIE Phantom, the TIE Defender, the Decimator, the Outrider (well, okay, it's in that one shot in the remastered ANH), the Starviper, the Scyk, the G1-A, the Khiraxz, the K-Wing, the Punisher, the Hound's Tooth, the Jumpmaster, the Inquisitor's TIE, the Ghost, the Phantom, and things like Y-Wings shooting ion cannons, or B-Wings shooting ion cannons, or A-Wings shooting missiles, or X-Wings being able to equip torpedoes that aren't protons.

Really, the MAJORITY of the game is not stuff we see in the movies. Look at the EU and you will find plenty of examples of tractor beam use, including TIE Defenders equipped with them. You'll also notice that only small ships can be moved around by tractor beams -- large ships are immune to that effect.

In terms of mechanics . . . the mere fact that the TB uses the barrel roll mechanic does not mean that it is supposed to be the same as a barrel roll. It is meant to be purely detrimental to the player controlling the ship. Barrel Rolls as an action would be -- in my opinion, at least -- HUGELY worsened if you were allowed to land on obstacles. There's about one time in a hundred when I would actually WANT to put myself on a rock; the other times, I don't want to have to worry about it. If I really want the cover, I'll fly the frickin' ship onto the debris with my initial maneuver. Or I'll realize that adding a die is almost always worse than just taking a focus or evade, and just do that instead :P .

There's another ship that also used Tractor beams quite frequently in a certain TIE fighter game...... Assault Gunboat. Is this card a preview maybe?

At competitive level, tractors are sadly probably only ever going to be used by TIE/Defenders (after imp vets re released) and the occassional Mist Hunter.

The brobots quite enjoy using them, but they can't really afford even the 2 points.

I'd personally consider using it on a Lambda shuttle.

I think one or both brobots toting tractors is definitely worth the points. I think there's plenty of builds that allow for it as a secondary cannon. I'm even pondering running one with HLC and one with just a tractor beam. Saves a lot of points for other upgrades and the second guy can use primary and TB as secondary can set up the other guy to hammer with the HLC. 

Tractor beams not being worth 1 point is pretty laughable I feel - true it is situational as to which ship it works on (I don't find it very useful on a lambda or trandoshian slaver as they're typically the lowest PS in the list), it kind of needs to be your highest PS ship. And yes, it doesn't work well against all lists, it's typically best against low defence small bases. But it can be game winningly awesome in certain situations. A 1 point upgrade that might tip the game in your favour is a gamble with a tiny pay in and a potentially huge payout. Movement is vitally important in this game and there are so many places where the tractor beam can be clutch. 

I just love the fact that it adds one more layer of tactics & unpredictability to the game - in a good way. There's nothing like a game going stale because the same moves keep being re-applied over and over again (Axis & Allies classic Edition comes to mind). In some ways, it's tough trying to keep up on all of the combo's that can be dealt out in this game, but I love that! Tractor Beam's is probably one of the best value upgrades and a fun "What if...???" being added to an already fantastic game.