Sign in to follow this  
Talonbane Cobra

Please help me used my unused ships!

I posted a topic the other day, much to my surprise I had no replies and I thought you guys would be all over it but will try again and be more specific.

I love x-wing, but I don't actually no many other people that play, I've bought pretty much every expansion pack but on the rare chance I get to play I don't normally take risks and play with stuff I don't know how to use.

Anyway so I am going on holiday next week where lots of people will be playing games and hopefully will be getting people to play x-wing.

Trouble is the AP of handing them all the folders full of upgrades is too much and chances are they will just fill every upgrade slot in the standard rookie way.

I am planning to take a bunch of pre-prepared lists using things they might like to use. So ask what ships they like a list already made that suits them.

Issue is, I don't know how to build lists for any of this stuff myself. So here's what I'm looking for to use, hopefully you guys can give me your lists (these are for new players remember) that use this stuff, and thematic lists with reconcilable names could be good.

I'm not expecting any one person to answer everything but if you see something you can help with please submit the odd list. 

Rebels

• Stuff I NEVER use - 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95's, 2 K-wings, YT-2400, 1 HWK, 1 ghost
  • Other stuff I have that does get used, 3-X-wings, Transport, 2-B-wings, 2-A-wings, 2-Y-wings, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-1300
  • Some lists using the stuff I never would be good, A K-wing Missile / Bomber list especially.

Imperials

• Basically anything.
  • 2 Defenders
  • 1 Phantom
  • Bomber / Punishers list (I have 4 bombers and 2 punishes)
  • Interceptor list
  • Got all the Tie/Ln pilots but only 6 Ties. so 6 tie swarm, or using TFA core Tie/fo's?

Scum

• 1 Hounds Tooth
  • 1 Firespray
  • 2 IG-2000's
  • 1 Starvi
  • 3  Kyraxis
  • 2 Scyks
  • 2 Most Wanted
  • Maybe a Bro-bot list or some lists using the familiar bounty hunters or such?

rebels : 
Wedges (T-65) + integrated/BB8 + predator
2x Blue Squadron pilot (Bwing) + FCS 
Prototype Pilot (Awing) + chardaan refit + autothrusters
- 99pts

My brother won a local store tournament this weekend with that list. It's decent & well rounded. Bwings are your frontline, use the Awing for the blocks and wedges on the edges.

For a low upgrades Scum list, you can try something like : 
Bossk (YV666) + predator + outlaw tech
2x cartel spacer (scyk) + Heavy scyk/"mango"
Cartel Marauder (Kirhaxz - I'm playing a third Scyk but a K-fighter can be OK)

Edited by CaptainBrochette

My Miranda triple Xwing list has been doing pretty well this year. You get some Kwing time in and really get to play with the dial.

Miranda, TLT, Adv Slam

3x Rookie Pilot

You can swap out the Adv Slam for two points of your choice, I just haven't found something that fits real nice yet. Miranda flies separate from the pack and pinwheels around while Xwings are point and shoot simple. Arc Dodgers require some thought and a loose formation while big hitting list require a tighter formation. I'm 8-2 this year with it.

TIE Punisher... I wanna help you. I can't. I used mine once when I first got it and my wife made me look bad. Really bad. Like, cry in the corner when she's not looking bad.

Have you tried Fab's Squadrons Generator? I use it almost every day (even if I don't play every day) just to try different builds and have fun trying new concepts. I really find it to be a fantastic tool to use and it has increased my own understanding of how different Pilots and upgrades can interact. Hope that helps, God bless :D .

Have you tried Fab's Squadrons Generator? I use it almost every day (even if I don't play every day) just to try different builds and have fun trying new concepts. I really find it to be a fantastic tool to use and it has increased my own understanding of how different Pilots and upgrades can interact. Hope that helps, God bless :D .

Thank you for this. I will definitely use it.

Edited by beowolf777

I just don't play the game enough to want to try out new things with no idea of what people have found to work / not work. And I don't want to throw a pile of rubbish list on the table for an opponent with no experience. The idea of this is to let people use lists that work well off the bat so they can get a grip on the game and then work their own stuff out later.

I played a game once against someone that really liked tie bombers and was new to the game, neither of us had any idea how to kit them out and well, he lost to me taking my normal safe list i like to use and didn't want to play again....

I also don't have time to work this stuff out, planning for a holiday, packing making sure I don't forget anything, trying to make printable 100 point list cards in the middle of it all, I would just really appreciate the communities thoughts on decent lists to use.

Still after a tie swarm style list, maybe some punisher/bomber ordances stuff, and interceptors?

I just don't play the game enough to want to try out new things with no idea of what people have found to work / not work. And I don't want to throw a pile of rubbish list on the table for an opponent with no experience. The idea of this is to let people use lists that work well off the bat so they can get a grip on the game and then work their own stuff out later.

I played a game once against someone that really liked tie bombers and was new to the game, neither of us had any idea how to kit them out and well, he lost to me taking my normal safe list i like to use and didn't want to play again....

I also don't have time to work this stuff out, planning for a holiday, packing making sure I don't forget anything, trying to make printable 100 point list cards in the middle of it all, I would just really appreciate the communities thoughts on decent lists to use.

Still after a tie swarm style list, maybe some punisher/bomber ordances stuff, and interceptors?

Sorry for my misunderstanding :unsure: , didn't mean to frustrate.

Ok, well I cross-referenced your inventory and here's a build that I hope will suite. 

Talonbane%20Cobras%20Build%2001_zpsuq6y8

Ok, so this is my thought process with this build and how I would use it (please bear in mind that I only play casual, so a regular tourney player will have to advise on strategy beyond my experience). So I would begin having the Phantom docked to the Ghost to take advantage of being able to fly the Ghost like the Slave 1 with the awesome auxiliary/special firing arc. The way I've built the Ghost, I've tried to make it very dangerous to fly really close to it. An example would be with Chopper's ability of giving a stress token for anyone that is touching it at the start of the combat round, coupled with the Ion Projector, their is a very good chance of that ship also getting Ionized. Plus - anyone flying at range 1, even outside of the two firing arcs (while the Phantom is docked) will automatically get two damage points - guaranteed - due to the amazing synergy of Accuracy Corrector & Autoblaster Turret. And, if they are in either one of your front or special firing arcs (again while the Phantom is docked) you get at least 4 attack dice, and 5 attack dice at range 1 plus an additional attack with the automatic two damage points :blink:! The other danger to flying close to the Ghost is you can cause some real trouble with the Saboteur. Finally with the Intelligence Agent, you will be able to make life more difficult for them by moving the Ghost into close conflict. The Flechette Torpedoes are meant for when you (if you choose to do so that is) undock the Ghost and coupled with the Autoblaster, you still have a shot up to range 3 in your rear special firing arc (at least one shot anyways).

Airen Cracken is meant for great initial support with a high Pilot skill. His ability essentially makes it possible for the Ghost to be able (keeping in mind you need to fly in formation) to take two actions every turn ;)! Very good indeed. Concussion Missiles, I have found in my experience, to be a very strong attack that almost always does damage - especially now with the Guidance Chips upgrade. This couple with Calculation, makes this a very strong and devastating attack. Even after you've used your missiles, Calculation is a very nice upgrade that doesn't require a second action to be able to be used.

Finally, Hera Syndulla is your "ace-up-you-sleeve" in that when you do bring her out, she is very unpredictable and nasty to deal with. By having Nien Nunb as a crew member and Stay on Target as an elite ability, as long as you have her dial set to any green maneuver (you could of course use something else) you can literally change your maneuver dial to any move on her dial :ph34r:!!! With the Targeting Computer as an upgrade, it will make her 3 attack dice even stronger and more dangerous.

Anyways, hope that helps and I hope that is what you were looking for. God bless ^_^ .

I think I can help you with Scum builds.

You have lots of stuff and could build competitive squads with no problem. The only issue I noticed is not having wave 8 stuff. That will keep your YV-666 (Hound's Tooth) on the shelf a little bit longer.

First squad is really simple. Some upgrades for rookies to understand the importance of them, but nothing mind-bending.

Black Sun Ace (23):

• Crackshot (1)

Total: 24 pts

Syndicate Thug (18):

• R4 Agromech (2)

Total: 26 pts

Two of each gives you 100 pts.

4 ships. 2 turrets, 2 jousters.

Jousters reinforce one-time use upgrades. Turrets reinforce persistent management.

Good squad to teach the basics.

Second squad is trickier but more iconic.

Boba Fett (39):

• Veteran Instincts (1)

• Engine Upgrade (4)

• Gunner (5)

• Glitterstim (2)

Total: 51 pts

IG-88B (36):

• Crackshot (1)

• Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

• Fire-Control System (2)

• Autothrusters (2)

Total: 48 pts

This you can actually take to tournaments, if you happen by one.

Thrives on taking advantage of repeating shots. Lessens the number of ships but increases things to pay attention to. Also, two hot bounty hunters for flavor.

When imperial veterans comes out try this one. In my play tests it has worked very well.

Wes Janson

Adaptability

BB-8

IA

2x Guardian Sq Pilot

EM

Homing Missiles

Autoblaster Turret

LRS

Capable of melting aces like butter. Plus vs the wolf pack you can nullify a torp shot and severly cripple one of the UBoats in the first round.

Let new people win if you can get away with it.  Dont make it too easy but close and keeps them interested.

For K-Wings, try running something with:

Warden Squadron Pilot

Extra Munitions, Connor Net, Proximity Mines or Cluster Mines, Bombardier, and Advanced SLAM.

For 35 points, it gives you a ship that can zoom around the board dropping mines on people.  It also is surprisingly durable. You could then back it up with a Z-95 swarm or two Red Squadron X-Wings and a Tala Squadron Z-95 for 3 PS4 ships and a few more upgrades.  It's worked fairly well for me when I've tried it.

Let new people win if you can get away with it.  Dont make it too easy but close and keeps them intereste

Something I do with new people is let them run 110-120 point lists depending on their experience with miniatures-type games.  I find it gives them a real fighting chance, and keeps it a challenge for me. 

Your playing it all wrong. Make a list as worse a possible then trade with your opponent and see you wins. Trying to prove you made a worse list than he did. That is how you play with all those ships that never get board time.