Sign in to follow this  
EliasWindrider

Are "replica droids" an official species/option ?

Hi I'm hoping that one of you can save me some time. I have all the books, I know that I could Stat an NPC as a normal PC Droid but after buying up attributes to replicate a normal member of a species, they get the shafts on xp. I was wondering if there was some sort of replica Droid rule that went like use the same attributes and xp as a normal member of the species you're trying to replicate but drop the species abilities in return for picking up the Droid traits (don'the need to eat, breathe, sleep, immune to toxins, vulnerable to ion damage). Barring that I could probable use the special modification rules to build an NPC replica droid.

1) A droid is a droid. Whether it looks like a Trandoshan, or it looks like C-3PO, it's still just a droid. So there's no reason why making it "look" like a Trandoshan should give it exceptional attributes. It's not going to be any stronger, it's not going to deal extra damage with it's claws. It's just going to look like a Trandoshan, cosmetically. The reason I say this, is b/c otherwise people would just make droids of their favorite races, and then they'd get all the best stats, and all the droid inherent immunities. It would unbalance the game.

2) While NPCs can basically be whatever you want, I would highly recommend sticking to the usual CharGen guidelines. Otherwise you end up with totally inconceivable characters. "Hi everyone, this is Padawan Bob. He just graduated from the Jedi Academy yesterday and now he's going to join the team. His powers include the ability to juggle Super Star Destroyers, while also Mind Tricking the entire Imperial Senate, and he can Reflect the Death Star's superlaser with his +5 Holy Avenger Lightsaber of Sith Slaying."

Droid traits are considered more powerful than any other species' traits.  That's why they're shafted in the XP and Stat department.  Trading one for the other would mitigate the balance inherent in droids.

I'm thinking the OP has something like Guri from Shadows of the Empire in mind: a droid that, to the naked eye, is indistinguishable from a living being.

Which is possible... with the proper application of XP. Droids start out 1's across the board, Humans start out 2's. So you pump each up by +1, and now you're "the same" as a starting Human.

You spend a significant amount of XP over a period of time, and you'll end up with a Droid that performs as well as a Human in most regards.

But you're not going to be able to do that starting on Day 1. Otherwise your starting character will have a significant advantage over the other starting characters.

Honestly, if someone wanted to play as a Guri-like droid (Guri herself is so not a starting PC it isn't even funny), I'd probably point them at the droid integrated items rules and the Outlaw Tech Flesh Camouflage Set from the EotE core. With a substantial cost reduction if they just wanted to appear as a single being as opposed to full shape shifting suite. Use more gear/cybernetics to add things like claws if needed. Customize your stats so you can fake things well (its not terribly hard to make a droid with a decent stat spread, it just means lots of twos and threes, and if your willing to 'unrealistic' you can go better still). This is all within a starting PC's budget, assuming you grab extra credits at chargen (and your Obligation basically writes itself for that).

Now, that's PC wise. If you want to talk droid crafting rules my reaction is 'not without finding the template', since these are horribly rare and unusual in Star Wars. Said template would have to be made by the GM, so depends how comfortable the GM is with homebrew. NPC wise, just grab a Nemesis or Rival appropriate to the character and add droid traits/other appropriate modifiers.

It's an npc that a pc will be running for part of one session to up to part of 2 sessions

If you are one of my players (i.e. andy) don'te open the spoiler block

One of my PCs is going to get kidnapped and replaced with a human replica droid, the player is on board with this and will be playing the replica droid while his original character is still kidnapped (it's a one or two session story arc, part of the point is so that "his character" can get assassinated without his character dying which will reveal that his character has been kidnapped and then the rest of PCs can rescue him... none of the rest of the players are in on this plot twist.

Edited by EliasWindrider

Ahhhhhh so it's an NPC that needs to appear as a playable character, XP expenditure and all... OK, that I follow.

Seems like the best solution would be to not overthink it. Instead of trying to make a droid, why not make "Replica" an applicable template instead? Almost like a species within a species.

Identify a skill, ability, and talent suite that all replica droids will probably have. Say 3-4 skills with assigned ranks, 3 or fewer talents, the usual droid immunity block, and a defined difficulty for detecting the difference with scanners.

Build the character as if it were the species and spec needed for base replication. Nothing fancy, just everything like normal. If it's a pre existing character, use the existing stats.

Drop the Replica suite on top of the generated stats. No stacking, just bring anything low or missing up to replica suite requirements.

If you want to customize things a bit, identify a set of replica droid mission profiles (decoy, spy, assassin, sabotage, impersonation) and configure a Replica suite to fit each of those profiles.

Or...

Since this is just a one-off character for this storyline, who is destined to die in order to progress the story, you don't really need to bother stat'ing anything.

Guri is an android, a droid built to look like a person. This character is the same. And through the Power of Plot they are able to masquerade as the player for a time.

So long as you aren't planning on making a playable race of androids, there's no need to overly complicate matters. Use the same stats as the character, switch out the droid immunities, and let them die next session. If anybody tries to dissect it for later use, or if players say they want to play one themselves, tell them it's far too advanced and expensive to be a common occurrence.

BTW the secret organization (within another organization not aware of it's existence) who made THIS PARTICULAR replica droid has "nearly unlimited funds" 9 million credits might be a little pricey for them but they probably could have spent 6 or 7 million on short notice without attracting the attention of the larger not secret organization that they are "slowly" siphoning funds from, but that would come close to tapping them out for a short period of time.

It's an npc that a pc will be running for part of one session to up to part of 2 sessions

Since this is a plot device and not a long term game condition, I'd probably keep it simple. Give the droid more or less the same stats and attributes as the meatbag, give 'em the don't sleep/breath/poop trait and call the rest of it a narrative function.

Absolutely. I usually just require the purchasing of Synthflesh as part of character creation.

Comes with the advantage of costing just a few credits. Though for a changeling I recommend using the advanced flesh camouflage kit instead. A copy downright to the genetic level for 2500 credits. So much for spending millions on such a simple body mod. IIRC obi-wan uses such a kit once when infiltrating a scum team lead by Cad Bane. Those kits seem to be based on chemicals and nano-technology, so if you want to use it on a droid than Synthflesh should be mandatory. Though Synthskin and Synthflesh is cheaper than a few deathsticks anyway.