Sign in to follow this  
SlaveofChrist

New Skill Level 9 Pilots???

Hi Folks! Hope things are well ^_^ .

I've been thinking a lot lately about Level 9 Pilots and here is what I've come up with.

It seems like there is a "rule" of two Level 9 Pilots per faction (Wedge/Solo, Vader/Fel, Talonbane/Dengar) and I was wondering if perhaps FFG could "break-precedent" by introducing three new Level 9 Pilots for X-wings, one for each new faction.

Here is why:

1. We haven't had any new level 9 Pilots for the Rebels or the Empire since (waaaayyyy baacckkk) Wave II
  2. The game has expanded dramatically since Wave II and a lot of new dynamics have been added that were not even imagined back then.
  3. It would be great to add one more Pilot in the rooster for each Faction making it three choices instead of just two (and then 4 of them are very old indeed).

Anyways, I just thought it would be really nice to have more variety to choose from, and have new Skill Level 9 Pilots - especially for the Rebels & the Empire - that would be more current to how the game has changed.

Feedback, thoughts and comments - as always - would be most welcome, thanks for listening :D .

It would be a shame. The PS bidding war has only recently become interesting - before, it was bid high and annihilate your opponent, or if you were a masochist, run low ps. The rise of ordnance in particular, as well as tlts, has normalised a much lower bid, so that PS4-7 are actually worthwhile, and I foresee that being solidified by the new defenders.

Adding new PS9 pilots would probably increase the top-heavy bidding of yesteryear, and revert us back to a much more rigid set of habits. 

Hi Folks! Hope things are well ^_^ .

I've been thinking a lot lately about Level 9 Pilots and here is what I've come up with.

It seems like there is a "rule" of two Level 9 Pilots per faction (Wedge/Solo, Vader/Fel, Talonbane/Dengar) and I was wondering if perhaps FFG could "break-precedent" by introducing three new Level 9 Pilots for X-wings, one for each new faction.

Here is why:

1. We haven't had any new level 9 Pilots for the Rebels or the Empire since (waaaayyyy baacckkk) Wave II
  2. The game has expanded dramatically since Wave II and a lot of new dynamics have been added that were not even imagined back then.
  3. It would be great to add one more Pilot in the rooster for each Faction making it three choices instead of just two (and then 4 of them are very old indeed).

Anyways, I just thought it would be really nice to have more variety to choose from, and have new Skill Level 9 Pilots - especially for the Rebels & the Empire - that would be more current to how the game has changed.

Feedback, thoughts and comments - as always - would be most welcome, thanks for listening :D .

Talonbane is weaker than the other PS 9 aces. OK if he would be on a slightly less stiff ship, and his range 3 bonus would work against secondary weapons as well. In the current version he dies just so fast, compared to his cost and the other PS 9 aces in the game.

It's hard to really see what new pilots could be added that "deserve" to be as awesome as Vader and Han.

That said I'm a bit surprised we never saw any PS10 in the game

Cause PS 10+VI would make Roark useless.

Talonbane Cobra is a monster in a 1v1 but he really wants a better degree of flexibility, or at least access to the Evade action. Same difference I suppose.

The problem with new PS9 pilots is that it's such a hard balance to strike. It seems difficult enough to balance Pilot Abilities with extant and forthcoming EPTs, never mind who works when where. PS9 is a potent level already, since you're the least likely to need or want Vet Instincts or Adaptability and can more freely take whatever Talent works best.

Luckily Wedge is kind of hampered in the T-65 and Fel always needs PtL, but look at the options Vader has from list to list. If he was already in a 3ATK ship he'd be incredibly unbalanced (I feel they really nailed the x1/ATC interaction by making it potent without being overpowered).

Dengar brings Scum into a strong competitive standing but I hope they continue to treat PS9 with a light hand.

Talonbane is getting the ace treatment with Attanni Mindlink and either EU or Cloaking Device. Not Soontir-levels of acewing, but he's in a much better place with wave 8.

Han is also still very much viable. Just not the reigning beast of former waves, but a reliable ace for Rebels.

Other than that, I agree that we need PS variety in the meta. PS4 is now a thing and PS5-6 have some exciting pilots to counter that. More (effective) PS9 would crush what we're seeing now.

Edited by K Genesis

It's hard to really see what new pilots could be added that "deserve" to be as awesome as Vader and Han.

That said I'm a bit surprised we never saw any PS10 in the game

Cause PS 10+VI would make Roark useless.

Well Roark (and some other effects like some mission-specific ones) maxing out at 12 is what kind of suggests the max unaltered pilot skill should be 10

Edited by The Inquisitor

Too many PS9s and you begin to dilute their effectiveness. As said above, mid-range pilots with an unusual skill or generics that could take an EPT would add more flavor to the game. As an example, Rebel Zs have two pilots that can take elite talents and both of those are unique. It would be nice to have pilots in the 3-5 range that could take EPTs even if they were generic 'uniques' like Tala Squadron Ace.

Definitely.  Those are important characters that deserve to have that top skill level be a rare thing.

That said, as we've seen with other pilots, you CAN have those same pilots show up in other ships. Effectively giving you more skill 9 pilots, without watering down the lore of those characters being the best in the galaxy.

I would much rather have more 4-7 pilot skills and fewer 8 and 9.

Since 8 and 9 are pretty much the best of the best we really should have more of the good and average pilots

It seems that the majority, at least so far, would prefer to have no additional Level 9 Pilots.

If that is the case, I would like to put a couple of questions to you. What's wrong with a couple of more unique Level 9 Pilots? Has X-wing Miniatures become an exclusive competitive nature, tournament only environment? Do you not want some fun and variety in your builds as opposed to only having a handful of top notch pilots? Where is the fun in that? When you play X-wings, do you play it solely to be the best and have the most efficient build or to have fun? Is there no room for creativity and growth? As the new trilogy is rolling out, and then all of the spinoffs and extended universe (which could last for years to come), could there not be a new generation of Level 9 Pilots or can they only exist in the original trilogy? What's wrong with having some variety?

Anyways, before answering - maybe put some time & thought into some of the things that I said, and see if it's possible to have this as a consideration before immediately writing it off. I think casual players would appreciate it. Thanks for considering :) , God bless.

I just wish Rebel and Scum 9s would be as competetively viable as the Empire 9s within current meta.

Otherwise the PS-bid gameplay (Acewing) is very one-sided.

Han is on the back foot at the moment, i'm sure he's still competitive, just not top tier OP like he was.

Talonbane.... needs some help.

Dengar.... well his generic self is pretty good atm, i'm sure there's a way to work him in a list some how.

Wedge.... I think people forgot about him. He's still got a nasty ability, and IA makes him a bit more survivable now.

Well, if you want Wedge to live longer you take Biggs.

But as far as arc-dodging small ship aces, I think it is perfectly fine if Empire retains a monopoly on them.

The rebels have different advantages, especially with large based ships or turret upgrades.

Defender Soontir!

I wouldn't actually use him in a defender.  You gain 3 shields, a white k-turn.  white 1 banks and a green 5 straight (nstead of white).  In return, he'd be more expensive, he loses native boost, so no autothrusters, and if you want boost you've gotta spend another 4 points, only 1 modification, 1 and 2 turns are now red, NO green turns at all (meaning PTL isn't great on him), no native evade action (though you can get it with the title).  Basically, you spend a bunch of points to upgrade for 3 shields, which sounds great until you realize the 3 hull interceptor with PTL, autothrusters and stealth device is way more survivable than a 3 hull 3 shield defender with no autothrusters, most likely no stealth device (cause you'll probably have engine or twin ion engine mk 2), no native evade, and limited to straights and banks if you use PTL.  If you DON'T ptl, you can't token stack the wayt he interceptor can (though with PTL, you could get TL/evade/focus/focus in a round)