Sign in to follow this  
Hobojebus

Petition for 2.0 of x-wing

As long as the ships/minatures remain unchanged and usable I am all for it. If the ships, chnage I am out.

The rules, card wording, etc are sloppy at best...way too casually written for the way the game has developed. A complete rewrite of the rules and card wording is in order. They need a standard sequence of play to reference, ie the the card says defender can modify dice in step 2.32 of the sequence of play. Standardize terms like all bombs are before manuveur, all mines are actions, then not use the term bomb to generically reference both...be careful with the term free action, etc... The result would be a much cleaner rules set.

If they make a 2.0, just make it with a whole new franchise. I'm not buying all the Star Wars ships again (and they will definitely make you buy new models with the new rules, cards, etc.). I'm not sure what franchise I would want though. All the obvious ones are done. Maybe modern fighter jets and such instead of WWII planes. Definitely not dragons...

As long as the ships/minatures remain unchanged and usable I am all for it. If the ships, chnage I am out.

The rules, card wording, etc are sloppy at best...way too casually written for the way the game has developed. A complete rewrite of the rules and card wording is in order. They need a standard sequence of play to reference, ie the the card says defender can modify dice in step 2.32 of the sequence of play. Standardize terms like all bombs are before manuveur, all mines are actions, then not use the term bomb to generically reference both...be careful with the term free action, etc... The result would be a much cleaner rules set.

You mean this designed to be casual game is too casual for your liking.......

X-wing is no longer casual. You have people travailing thousands of miles for tournaments and spending hundreds on.

And I really don't get the hate for a redone version of certain rules, cards, ect. Release new cardbord pretty much. It takes out some of the sloppy way FFG is currently fixing things (which, FYI, has you buying new ships. Like if you want to fly a Darth Vader TIE Advanced you better be willing to shell out 90+ dollars). You can now go back and adjust shield, hull, attack, defense numbers for ships as well as base point cost and upgrade bar (You can add say an EPT to some of the unused Interceptor pilots to make them at least somewhat playable). 

No???? You completely missed my point. The game is not casual. The rules are casual. We definitely need a rule rewrite.

X-wing is no longer casual. You have people travailing thousands of miles for tournaments and spending hundreds on.

And I really don't get the hate for a redone version of certain rules, cards, ect. Release new cardbord pretty much. It takes out some of the sloppy way FFG is currently fixing things (which, FYI, has you buying new ships. Like if you want to fly a Darth Vader TIE Advanced you better be willing to shell out 90+ dollars). You can now go back and adjust shield, hull, attack, defense numbers for ships as well as base point cost and upgrade bar (You can add say an EPT to some of the unused Interceptor pilots to make them at least somewhat playable).

I agree completely.

I can see a X-Wing 2.0 in  about 2 years. New core set and updated point system to 200 points for a more gradient points system. They can do card upgrade packs or do a digital app with the updates cards. TBH, it's silly to think this system won't get a 2.0 in the future.  

I dunno how they could do a 2.0 and make me happy about it. They'd have to let us keep the same minis/tokens/et al. They'd have to offer card/tile replacement packs on the cheap (less than $2 per ship). Best we could probably hope for is something like the Raider, where you get the maximum fieldable copies in each pack. i.e. 4 TIE/Ad for $10 and 8 z-95 for $20 type thing. But, yeah, the rules have grown way beyond their original scope. One thing I don't want is MtG with spaceships, but if they could clean up the rules and card costs/wording while keeping earlier players (with giant collections) engaged, I could see myself doing a 2.0. Short of those requirements though, I don't think so.

You lot realise I'm not actually calling for a new edition right?

How dare you ask us to read, good sir?!

Edit: I was on the fence about the '?'. I ended up going with it.

Edited by Futant420

The title of your thread suggests otherwise. If you meant you are simply petitioning for the name then that wasn't clear and The thought alone suggests you are asking for a new version.

Then what, Hobo my friend, ARE you calling for?

As a relatively casual player, I'm still pretty happy with the game. With some understandable exceptions, the game is balanced. The new waves do seem to keep coming faster and faster, which makes it hard to keep up. (Though that may just be because I'm getting older, and have a different sense of time - that and I'm also playing Armada and Rebellion.)

I think Epic is pretty awesome, though it's harder to find that sort of game, and I'm eager to see what's next in that regard.

I'm also pretty happy with the new format of the rules, with a browseable rules reference guide.

My one lament is that the titular ship - the X-wing - should be more viable.  I want to see more of Luke, Wedge, and Porkins!*

*So I can blow them up, as I'm an Empire-only player.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

We've already had a "version 1.5" with the Force Awakens box set to be fair.

Although I do love your naming convention Hobo.  If The X-Wing Miniatures Game version 4.0 brings us Golan platforms, Mon Calimari Cruises and the entire TIE Experimental series, then I'm all for it.

As an aside, I'm still waiting for a new X-Wing PC game.  Preferably based along the lines of Elite: Dangerous, with the ability to join the Alliance, Empire or various underworld organisations...

Edited by FTS Gecko