Sign in to follow this  
LordDD337

New Force Power: Teleport

Hi all.

A friend of mine has come up with an interesting idea for a new force power he wants to make and id like to see what ya peeps have to think about it and help me figure out the chart, xp cost and power descriptions.

Ive got the basic idea of what i want the power to do and i shall past it below.  let me know what ya think of it.  Thanks all.

Teleport Force Power

• Force Rating Minimum – 3+
  • Basic Power
    • By using the force around him, he can use it to make short hyper space jumps to locations within sight or even across the galaxy with but a single thought
    • By using a Force Power Check Action, the Force User may spend 2 Force Point and succeed on a Hard (+3 D) Discipline check, to move to any location within short range that he can see,  All gear worn / carried travels with the force user.
    • The Force User is Disoriented for the next round after using this power
  • Strength Upgrade
    • Spend 1 force point to increase the Silhouette size of the creature or objects teleported by the number of Strength Upgrades purchased
    • This upgrade can activated once
  • Magnitude Upgrade
    • Spend 1 force point to increase the number of the creature or objects teleported by the number of Magnitude Upgrades purchased
  • Control Upgrade – Teleport Objects
    • May teleport objects in addition or instead of self within engaged range
    • Teleporting piloting ships / vehicles use the pilots Pilot (planetary or space) as the opposed skill for the Discipline
  • Control Upgrade – Teleport Creatures
    • May teleport creatures in addition or instead of self within engaged range.
    • Any creature teleported is Disoriented for the round after they are teleported
    • Unwilling creatures being teleported, make the Discipline roll to use this power opposed instead of the normal difficulty
  • Control Upgrade – Maneuver
    • 1 per round, may use this power as a Maneuver
  • Mastery
    • The force user only needs to spend 1 force point to use this power and he and any creatures teleported are no longer Disoriented
    • Only needs to be within Short Range of the intended creatures or objects to use this power instead of being within engaged range
    • The difficulty of using this power becomes Average instead of Hard
  • Range Upgrade
    • May spend 1 force point to increase the range of the power by 1 band per range upgrade purchased

Teleportation is NSFSW*, so I wouldn't allow it in the game normally. However, I have put together a teleport power that would work for any system conversions into another setting where teleporting is normal.

My only requires Force rating 2+, and the basic power only allows you to teleport to a location within medium range and line of sight (I didn't put a skill check, but Perception would work); I also wouldn't add a penalty for use, as sacrificing an action is penalty enough. Magnitude upgrades (2) allow you to move another object of equal silhouette per upgrade. Strength upgrade (1) allows you to increase the silhouette size. Range upgrades (2) increases the range. First control upgrade allows the user to swap places with a target. Second control allows you to commit 2 Force dice to reduce the amount of maneuvers it takes to change range bands. Third control upgrade allows you to spend a DP and use it as a maneuver. Master upgrade allows the 'teleport to a location visited' ability.

*Not Safe For Star Wars

Teleportation is NSFSW*, so I wouldn't allow it in the game normally. However, I have put together a teleport power that would work for any system conversions into another setting where teleporting is normal.

<sarcasm>It happens all the time in the movies. Just look at Episode VII</sarcasm>

*ducks for cover*

This power seems to bring nothing new to the game. For moving yourself Enhance is a much better option, and for moving other things the Move power is better.

If you want this power it needs to stand out, make it planetary ranges, or to places unseen so you can jump through walls.

Back when I was young, stupid GM (many, many, many years ago) I had a player that wanted to bring a Teleport power into the our Star Wars game. If it were modern GM me, I would have told him no, as it doesn't feel very Star Wars to me - but I went with it back then. I made it CRAZY difficult, with some serious repercussions for failed rolls - so it never really moved beyond sideshow novelty.

But yeah, teleportation fits in with stuff like Time Travel and the like. Star Wars has weird Space Operay stuff, but sometimes it is possible to go too far. This would be one of those times.

Yeah, I think this one is just asking for trouble.

Offhand...

I teleport the angry farplizard into the Inquisitors helmet.

I teleport our entire ship to the destination, no hyperdrive needed, no time wasted!

I teleport the squad of Stormtroopers to outside of the ship.

I teleport this baradium charge into the crimelord's stomach. He does what we say, or I blow him.

I teleport 5000 gallons of water from that lake into the burning building. The fire stops, we win.

I teleport the Emperor into the abandoned well in my basement. I lower a basket of lotion down to him on a string.

Scaling it down would help, but doing so just ends up with fancy versions of Move or Enhance... no reason to spend XP on that.

Yeah, I think this one is just asking for trouble.

I agree, but hey man do what you want. I remember my first DnD 3.5 game, when our DM had this whole big elaborate, "You have to make a choice on which town you will save and there will be repercussions no matter what you choose," story line that he introduced, when we had just leveled, and the Sorcerer in the group picked up teleport... He still complains about that... 10 years later...

Just be careful when messing with time and space.

On an on topic note, I would actually go in the reverse order for the control upgrades.

The base power should give the force user the ability to teleport silhouette 0 intimate objects,

The control upgrade could make it so that the Force User can teleport silhouette 0 creatures that are in engaged range who are disoriented for a round.

The third control could remove the disorientation and allow teleportation of sentient creatures.

Strength upgrades should be able to be used to make the force user able teleport larger silhouette value targets (himself) and magnitude will allow him to teleport the group.

It just makes sense to me that you would want to start with teleporting things that are less cellularly complex and move up to the real complicated creature like humans. The rest looks good from where I am sitting. This is my unprofessional feedback.

Edited by nadethoughts

Letting the Aang-Tii stuff into your game is cool, but you won't think it is, once you DO let it in. Saga Edition did it, sort of, right near the end, and had to dumb it down, to keep it from breaking everything. My main character, Ender Farstrider, can do it, and Flow-Walking, and anyone will call cheese (rightly) if you do it.

Teleporting is really cool, and the Force is filled with little-known, esoteric powers, many of which exist to mark a particular group, race, or person as "different", or "unique", but once you set down the rules, and try to use them, they usually explode. Can I lock you in a cell? Can I even take you prisoner? Can you carry passengers, or must you abandon your allies? Can you "remote-teleport" others? I found several ways to use teleporting shenanigans in Saga, from using Phase and Burst of Speed together, to "teleport" out of confinement, to escaping a trap that resulted in the BBEG, and not me, falling into a star. It was a bit broken, and I actually strongly suggest you don't follow in my footsteps; the Force can already be a buffer, or the thing that makes your character inherently "better" than everyone else, something this system has tried to limit, and I don't think it would support teleporting well. My opinion, of course.

One of the ways that Saga curtailed the teleport (called Fold Space) was to allow you to only move held or unattended objects at lower levels, and the destination had to be an unoccupied space. So no teleporting creatures into somebody's armor, or teleporting weapons into someone's chest. At higher levels, you could teleport a ship that you were riding in (which was the original purpose of the Aing-Tii power). Force secrets increased your range, and if you spent a Destiny point, you could go cross-galactic distances. It was kind of cool, and a nice backup for hyperdrive failure, but not really game-breaking. I always thought that Phase was a more useful power (it let you walk through walls).

Personally, I think that fewer powers is better, especially with FFGs method for customizing. I understand the desire to recreate all sorts of cool things, and doubtless new powers will eventually be introduced in forthcoming supplements, but for now I'd just stick to what we've got. Just my $0.02.

Sounds like it could be distilled into a Force Talent

Fold Space: Once per session, Perform the Fold Space action to make a Hard Discipline Check, on success, you may move yourself and any one silhouette 0 object engaged with the character up to Long range.

I purposely left out things like "Line of Sight" in order to allow the GM to make their best judgement call. I also made it rely on a check so the GM can spend Threat and Despair for special effects. You could make an improved version that allows your to spend advantage or triumph to make an attack as part of the Fold Space action. But the above example was just a good way to start.

Edited by kaosoe

The Aang Tii are also one of those things that mutated into something it was never intended to be. Thier original appearance they used hyperdrive like everyone else, they were just really good at it in their corner of space. Teleportation wasn't one of their things. It just became so when a novelist needed a magic power and decided to apply it to them for some reason.

Fold Space to me is kinda like insisting that all Chiss are tactical geniuses that can squirt acid of their nipples...

Edited by Ghostofman

I teleport the angry farplizard into the Inquisitors helmet.

I teleport our entire ship to the destination, no hyperdrive needed, no time wasted!

I teleport the squad of Stormtroopers to outside of the ship.

I teleport this baradium charge into the crimelord's stomach. He does what we say, or I blow him.

I teleport 5000 gallons of water from that lake into the burning building. The fire stops, we win.

I teleport the Emperor into the abandoned well in my basement. I lower a basket of lotion down to him on a string.

It puts the lotion on its skin...

Be careful of your wording please. One of those above gave me a mental image I didn't want. :)

Thanks for all the comments my friends.  If i can figure out how to add an image onto this thing without it telling me i cant, ill be able to put up the force power chart that i did. 

Ill reduce the Silhouette thing from 1 to 0 since being able to start at 1 is a bit much.

Thanks for all the comments my friends.  If i can figure out how to add an image onto this thing without it telling me i cant, ill be able to put up the force power chart that i did. 

Ill reduce the Silhouette thing from 1 to 0 since being able to start at 1 is a bit much.

Are you using an old version of Explorer? I had troubles with images with such. Upgrading to the latest version of Explorer and/or switching to Chrome may fix it for you.

Are you using an old version of Explorer? I had troubles with images with such. Upgrading to the latest version of Explorer and/or switching to Chrome may fix it for you.

Im using Fire Fox right now.  Thing that it says is that i dont have permission to post an image or something like that.

As far as I know, the only character in canon to teleport like that was the Father of Mortis, so I'm very curious how you're going to introduce this power into your story.  Is this just something that the players can simply buy to pick up, or is there going to be an introduction of some sort?

In the original movies, there were these thematic thresholds to what the audience saw of the Force and it's capabilities, and passing them meant something significant.  In the first movie, there's very little force action that a very skilled individual couldn't do normally (persuade past a check point, sneak around a battle station with distractions, nail an incredible shot, recall some your mentor's last words to you.)  At the beginning of Empire, we see Luke move a Lightsaber a bit after reaching for it several tries, but it's when we meet Yoda and watch him lift a massive ship that Luke (and the audience) learns that the force has no limits based on your physical form, lifting a ship far larger than his muscle mass would ever allow.  Interpreted this way, the final threshold of the Force's abilities is crossed when Luke defies the Emperor, who we then see unleash waves of pure energy from his hands, a display that some would consider unnatural.

This is explicit in the text; after his first training session, Luke tells Obi Wan that he could feel something, indicating his first conscious connection to the Force, Obi wan responds, "You have taken your first step into a larger world."

So what will a power like this mean for your story, world and characters?

But on the subject of theme, I'm not a fan of how you called it "a short hyperspace jump."  Even if that's what it is in your head, I'd leave details vague, and let the players muddle out what the power means for themselves.

Edited by ardoyle

A mage of mine in a different system used to carry his sword only for the purpose of teleporting it inside of enemies; Mutiple times. Guess he was very practical about this whole "point side belongs into enemy" thing.

Now add lightsabers. 

Not that this would be op or anything, as lightsaber throw talent does the same practical the same thing. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

The OP obviously wants our feedback on this - but I reckon they've already made their mind up anyway,...

IMO - an awful idea.... it may look cool in films/books/comics and as I've played and GM'd superhero games in the past it can be a MAJOR game changer, - ok so is Influence and the force powers in general... but teleporting across the galaxy... FFS what is that player thinking? He may be your friend, but seems a power gamer too. I've had powergamer friends.. great at the bar, the BBQ, the wedding party, halloween.. but at the gaming table they drove me up the wall, so much so that sadly it became a problem and I stopped playing with that group because it WASN'T FUN ANYMORE..... so...

so... if it works for you and is FUN, go with it,,, even rolling 1 Despair should have SERIOUS (ie intestine churning, eyeball exploding) consequences.

Seems most are of the opinion that Teleportation doesn't really have a place in the Star Wars universe, and I would agree for the most part.

There are different degrees of science fiction. Some are very basic, like Battlestar Galactica, where it's futuristic but otherwise everything is still the same. Sure, ships have warp drive (or whatever they choose to call their method of getting places faster) but the people still have to walk / drive / fly everywhere otherwise. Then you have the very sci-fi, like Star Trek, where people can teleport anywhere (including between ships at warp, and across interstellar distances, if Jar Jar Abrams is calling the shots) and they can use the same teleport technology to create anything their heart desires... which completely negates the point of commerce, money, and basically working for a living.

Star Wars is in-between, but more towards the basic end. Their super advanced computers rely on droids sticking an elongated probe into a console and spinning the mechanism until the doors open. Their agriculture relies on living in a dirt hole and using antennas to harvest water out of the air. Star Wars technology is about as advanced as the 70's thought it would be. Which is why the Empire lost to a bunch of rock throwing, sharp stick jabbing Teddy Bears.

Now... that being said, there are several extra-advanced races in the lore. One of which is the Rakata. And in SWTOR (the MMO) there are a few locations where your character can discover an ancient Rakata teleport station. A bizarre looking device deep in a hidden cave, which teleports you to a similar device somewhere else on the planet. They aren't on every world, in fact there's only about 2 worlds I can think of offhand that have them. But it is an example of actual teleportation... just not something that "modern" Star Wars societies are capable of.

So if someone were inclined to introduce Teleportation in some regard, that is the avenue I would use. Make it very unique to that particular location. Maybe it's a Rakata world, or maybe just a derelict Rakata ship / outpost. Something the players could explore and interact with, but not something they can run around using otherwise. No taking the ship out for a spin, using it to beam down on away missions.

And I would not, under any circumstances, simply make a Force power that lets you Teleport at will. That will completely unbalance everything about the game, and take away any challenge. Even something as simple as running down a corridor trying to save your Master from the evil Sith attack, when a forcefield comes down between you and them. Why stand helpless watching the duel, when you could teleport inside? Better yet, if you can teleport anything, just teleport the Sith into the conveniently placed bottomless pit nearby.