Sign in to follow this  
Ailer

Countering Force Throw?

I am playing my first full length "Return to Hoth" campaign as the imperials. The Rebel team consists of good players, but their main asset so far in the first few missions has been Diala's force throw. In missions where positioning is important (such as White Noise or Scouring of the Homestead) this ability has done a ton of work against me.

Do any fellow imperial players have tips on how to counter this ability?

I think the only reliable way to counter Force Throw is to have large figures. Diala will just Rest, Move and Force Throw anyway, so some extra strain won't affect her that much.

You will probably want HK Assassin Droids if you want to get her to withdraw.

Are you remembering that she cannot use it on herself? I see many people talking about it but I never understodd why it should be so powerfull, it has, what about 80% chance of succeseeding and then it's only three spaces of mevement and 1damage if used on enemies

Positioning is very powerful. You could for example use force throw to block someone's line of sight, trigger Verena's ability if the target has 1hp left or set up for a successful Way of the Sarlac or Havoc Shot.

... or combine it with Tac Move to give Jyn 17 spaces in one round...

... or damage an Imperial, move it out of the way AND trigger Mak's Disengage...

... or use it on a stunned Imperial to ensure it can't attack...

It's a powerful ability. Try and keep her strain up to keep her from using it every round. Make her pass skill checks to keep her from using an extra green die on the Force Throw roll. When she fails the skill check it really hurts the Rebel plan, so try to keep her from being Focused when she does it (Riot Grenades are one way to do this). Wounding her helps as it takes it from an 88% (ish, math in head) to 73%.

Thanks for all the replies! I like the point of using large figures as a potential counter. Trandoshans are great, but they are not available every mission and require a lot of threat to cast if they are one of my open groups, so I view that as less of a viable countermeasure.

Aside from Red's examples, the force throw ability was used in this campaign to disrupt my officers from interacting with consoles and was successful in dragging my units through the fire spaces for massive amounts of free damage.

I think the only reliable way to counter Force Throw is to have large figures. Diala will just Rest, Move and Force Throw anyway, so some extra strain won't affect her that much.

You will probably want HK Assassin Droids if you want to get her to withdraw.

If she's resting off force throw strain then she isn't recovering wounds and you can wound her out and lower her endurance.  If she keeps it up you can just kill her.  It's a really nice ability but it's expensive.  It's probably coming at the cost of 2 rerolls or keeping 2 wounds on her from a rest.  She's a super strain heavy character, just hope she doesn't decide to hack off one of her arms and replace it with a bionic one... which strangely makes her better with her force powers.

Diala has some of the best class abilities in the game, but I think it's balanced against her somewhat underwhelming base abilities. They're not bad, but they're strain heavy and if Diala taking strain for Force Throw, Force Adept and strain movement, she's not gonna be using precise strike and foresight that much. In that sense, Diala's class abilities sort of phase out her base abilities, whereas the other heroes only add to their base abilities.

Large figures or lots of cheap small figures should help. The worst thing is when she stuns your high cost figure with precise strike and then throws it out of the fight, so avoid high cost small figures (royal guard, HK) if you can. Giving her strain won't stop her from force throwing you, but at least she'll have to waste more actions resting to do it.