Sign in to follow this  
Corellian Corvette

FFG was Ruthless with their Defender Fix!

Tractor beam isn't that easy to hit an asteroid is it. they get to choose the direction and everything so unless they are facing and asteroid they ain't hitting it

Pretty much the only way you cant move an enemy is backwards ie a boost to the rear, everything else is fair game. 

Makes me wonder if I can shoot at my own ships, great combo really for defenders.

Page 12 of the rule book, friendly heading, it's crap but no you can't. I wanted to tractor my own stuff too.

Actually I wanted just to shoot at my own ship which Fel is casing, proc Ruthlessness and auto-hit Baron Fel. Doing no damage with that tractor beam would have been just a bonus. And imho they should totally allow that. ;-)

So this can't hit your Ships?

Or it can't hit the ship your attacking with?

You can hit other friendly ships if there are not any other ships within range 1. it is sort of like being overzellous with the trigger finger. 

But with tractor beam you could easily move a ship away from a friendly ship so it is no longer in range one and into range one of another enemy ship.

Remaining problem with tractor beam remains - it doesn't do anything useful to 'large' ships.

Like...say...a triple-U-boat list.

For that, a pair of ion cannons works *considerably* better, although you are then back to the issue of the EPT not being optional and risking damaging a friendly if the U-boats get in too close.

You dropped this:

swx41_tractor-beam.png

This is either really good or really bad.

Depends on which side of the table you're on.

If you're on the side with the Defender, it's really really good.

If you're on the side facing the Defender, it's really really bad.

Hmm. You seem to believe there will be players NOT using Defenders. This option had not occurred to me.

Now, would you measure range 1 for ruthlessness before or after they are moved from the tractor beam?

As far as I know, they trigger simultaneously and are both your triggers. You choose the resolution order for simultaneous triggers you own.

Now, would you measure range 1 for ruthlessness before or after they are moved from the tractor beam?

As far as I know, they trigger simultaneously and are both your triggers. You choose the resolution order for simultaneous triggers you own.

Well, thats just nasty.

Edited by Corellian Corvette

So this can't hit your Ships?

Or it can't hit the ship your attacking with?

You can hit other friendly ships if there are not any other ships within range 1. it is sort of like being overzellous with the trigger finger. 

But with tractor beam you could easily move a ship away from a friendly ship so it is no longer in range one and into range one of another enemy ship.

Remaining problem with tractor beam remains - it doesn't do anything useful to 'large' ships.

Like...say...a triple-U-boat list.

It still drops their agility for all ensuing attacks. A 1-agility U-boat tends to feel the pain a lot more than normal.

Removing one agility is like giving the rest of your squad crack shot every turn.

Not quite mathematically correct unless your opponent's dice are perfect. Crack shot cancels one evade. Tractor beam removes 3/8 of one (no focus) or 5/8 (focus). This means, that depending on the situation, you need more than one shot, and maybe three, to equal one crack shot. That's also before accounting for the fact that you've given up at least one hit to get the tractor beam to go off.

There are, of course, other benefits of it, but getting extra damage beyond what CS gives takes work and is at the very least a much longer chain to get there.

Edited by AlexW

Removing one agility is like giving the rest of your squad crack shot every turn.

Not quite mathematically correct unless your opponent's dice are perfect. Crack shot cancels one evade. Tractor beam removes 3/8 of one (no focus) or 5/8 (focus). This means, that depending on the situation, you need more than one shot, and maybe three, to equal one crack shot. That's also before accounting for the fact that you've given up at least one hit to get the tractor beam to go off.

There are, of course, other benefits of it, but getting extra damage beyond what CS gives takes work and is at the very least a much longer chain to get there.

True, but a Tractor shot followed by many cheap swarm ships that cannot use an EPT may be comparable to a few ships with Crack Shot in some situations. And if you can pull the occasional enemy into a closer range or onto an obstacle then it is certainly worth serious consideration.

Never tell me the maths :P

Well, thats just nasty.

FAQ specifies that the movement effects of the token MUST happen BEFORE the ship is moved, but also corrects the wording on the Tractor Beam rules card so that you can choose not to move them.  So if a ship is already R1 of Soontir, you don't have to move them over and risk moving them out of Range to deal the damage, but then you can't move them later. OR you can move them before you apply the Ruthlessness damage.

The ship gets moved first and then ruthlessness range gets measured, as per the latest FAQ

I'm hoping that if this gets posted enough in this thread people will stop asking the question or giving the wrong advice on it.

I mean... it's the Internet so my hope is in vain, but still...

Edited by Stu35

The ship gets moved first and then ruthlessness range gets measured, as per the latest FAQ

I'm hoping that if this gets posted enough in this thread people will stop asking the question or giving the wrong advice on it.

I mean... it's the Internet so my hope is in vain, but still...

Tactician, shoot, ruthlessness, move. Got it.

There's currently one pilot that can use Crackshot more than once per game. TB can be used whenever you have a shot, and /D title gives you a shot afterwords with the same ship. One TB Scyk gives you enough points for 4 K fighters, 12-15 red dice firing at one less green die, not too bad. And they can do it more than once.

"And they can do it more than once. "

Phrasing boom!

Phrasing Boom (bomb upgrade) 5 pts

Action: discard this card to drop a Phrasing Boom token. Whenever a player is corrected for speaking incorrectly detonate this bomb and roll one red die. On a hit randomly destroy one of that players ships. On a crit destroy all of that players remaining ships. If the player's statement was found to be correct all the opposing players ships are destroyed.