Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

Proudly made in the USA

People in China need to make money too.

The while idea of "country -A is better than country-B" really is kind of lame.

You would think after thousands of years and millions of deaths caused by governments that humanity would at some point outgrow these imaginary lines drawn on a map called 'borders'.

Nationalism is garbage.old...old...garbage.

Thing is, "made in china" is seen as a "bad" thing (lower quality, sweatshops). I wonder what it'd be like if they had "Proudly made by the People's Republic of China"

At one time, "Made in Japan" was also seen as a bad thing.

Thats because we went to war against japan, not because they ever made a shoddy product, and once that generation's hate waned, people embraced their manufacturing and products.

fr3725.png

I don't know, would you count this US or Canada? Because I pay US taxes, but there is an gas monopoly here which was not broken up because the court ruled that we were considered Canada, despite being US citizens in the US.

You would think after thousands of years and millions of deaths caused by governments that humanity would at some point outgrow these imaginary lines drawn on a map called 'borders'.

But those people in China are getting paid slave wages.

But those people in China are getting paid slave wages.

True enough, and the blame for THAT is squarely on the chinese government. they don`t exactly have a free market going on. One doesnt just decide one day to build a factory and gather farmers from the countryside to use as slave labor.

building a factory and gathering farm people to be slave labor has to be approved by the state.

and even with that...life is a lot better for the people working in the factories for a dollar a week than it is for the people who can`t have that luxury and end up starving in the wilds.

now...if I am a person trying to feed my family...in an area with an oppressive government that i just can`t seem to get rid of for some reason...( like...oh...i dont know...a gigantic military stands in the way) then when my options are 1. starve and while doing so watch my family die. or 2. work in the only factory that the government allows in my area for 90 hours a week to get a bag of popcorn.

I`ll do that.

And i will be mad all day every day that the government will not allow competing factories that would need to bid up the wages in order to get a good workforce....thereby keeping the going rate of 1bag of popcorn/workweek as a perpetual normality.

anyways..thats basically that. 

We are China dependant in many areas, no moaning, this is our world. But when I buy a wargame related product, the "Proudly made" seal is a plus for me.

So you just want your hobbies to be made in the USA , what about everything else? You would prefer to have a broad 10%-20% increase in the price of goods , groceries, daily neccessities so you can tell those poor families to suck it up?

Unfortunately the world is in a bad state of affairs.

I believe the movie star trek first contact made a real good point, and that's scary

It'll take something real bad to happen, before the world can change

As it is now it's the 1% who basically rule over us.

The 1% could probably feed, and cloth most of the world and still have their fancy boats and houses but they don't

Instead they rather destroy the earth and let their grand children deal with the after effects

I know manufacturing and there is a huge component of manual labor that goes into each 'pre-painted' x-wing miniature that you purchase. My best guess is a 'made in the usa' x-wing would literally cost at least TWICE as much. Pragmatically it makes perfect sense to manufacture in China and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Purchasing/supporting 'Made in the USA' does make sense for some things, X-wing is not one of them.

Thing is, "made in china" is seen as a "bad" thing (lower quality, sweatshops). I wonder what it'd be like if they had "Proudly made by the People's Republic of China"

At one time, "Made in Japan" was also seen as a bad thing.

Thats because we went to war against japan, not because they ever made a shoddy product, and once that generation's hate waned, people embraced their manufacturing and products.

Not true. My parents told me a story about a Christmas gift I got when I was about nine. That would make it Christmas 1959 or 1960. It was a friction motor helicopter. You scooted it across the floor and the blades turned. It was made of metal with the tab and slot method of assembly. Probably wouldn't pass child safety laws today. Anyhow it popped apart. The inside of the toy still had remnants of the Maxwell House Coffee label. They had recycled the metal coffee can to make a toy.

And for a point of fact, they went to war with us. Unless you're one of the economic determinists that believes our neutrality and material embargoes against China and Japan forced them into war with us.

I know manufacturing and there is a huge component of manual labor that goes into each 'pre-painted' x-wing miniature that you purchase. My best guess is a 'made in the usa' x-wing would literally cost at least TWICE as much. Pragmatically it makes perfect sense to manufacture in China and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Purchasing/supporting 'Made in the USA' does make sense for some things, X-wing is not one of them.

I have 5 words that would change your mind about that....

"No more On-The-Boat."

It also depends on FFG's costs in china. is it cost effective to keep having the Big boat spend 6-8 weeks to deliver our plastic crack? Answer for now must be yes, because they keep doing it. But at some point that may change.

Also i'm not expecting this for another 20 or so years, but maybe someday Gamestores will have 3-D printers. "Oh you want the new X-wing Expansion?

It'll be $20.00 for the plastic, here's the cards." And then they print your ship within an hour. Plot twist, that ship was finalized 2 weeks ago, and released the day you picked up the cards.

Also i'm not expecting this for another 20 or so years, but maybe someday Gamestores will have 3-D printers. "Oh you want the new X-wing Expansion?

It'll be $20.00 for the plastic, here's the cards." And then they print your ship within an hour. Plot twist, that ship was finalized 2 weeks ago, and released the day you picked up the cards.

On a 3d printer with made in china written on the side? :P

Did you know the first Magic the gathering cards where printed in Belgium and a Belgian company still prints them today?

http://www.cartamundi.com/cases/magic/

Yup! Lived nearby for a while and an old acquaintance works there. They keep tight security not to spoil anything before official release. Had a fun conversation where he, as a manufacturer who has pride in his work, throws away the misprints. He considers them a stain on their reputation for manufacturing quality and seriously doesn´t understand why someone would collect them :D

Did you know half this forum is not from the US?

Given that Hexdot is spanish (or vasque if he prefer), as am I; a Robin is Belgian... Yes, probably all know that...  :D

I think we should vote whether to change the prefered language on this forum :P

Off-topic forum is where this belongs.

True, a moderator will pick it up one day and place it there :)

Don't worry, once President Trump is in power everything will be made in America. 

This little town shall rejoice with the increase of employment!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America,_Limburg

Completely agree, sadly many governments and nationalists don´t :(

Unfortunately the world is in a bad state of affairs.

I believe the movie star trek first contact made a real good point, and that's scary

It'll take something real bad to happen, before the world can change

As it is now it's the 1% who basically rule over us.

The 1% could probably feed, and cloth most of the world and still have their fancy boats and houses but they don't

Instead they rather destroy the earth and let their grand children deal with the after effects

Time to call in the other 1%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club#One_percenter

You all realize that not all factories in China are automatically terrible?

What do you even know about the facilities that manufacture X-Wing?

16 hours a day for wages of .15 cents an hour....

Let´s be realistic here. We all know our favourite toys are not made by people with the best working conditions. We can start a whole seperate thread whether you should therefore not buy Chinese in the hope of forcing improvement, or keep in buying, with the thought that with buying at least these people have a job, how terrible it may be.

Or you can be an old-fashioned nationalist and go for the ´it has to be manufactured in my country´ attitude.

But keep in mind this attitude has its drawbacks as well; Belgian and Dutch dredging firms offered assistance after Hurricane Katrina hit the US. Only to be turned down because their equipment wasn´t made in the US, their ships were not made in the US, and their crews were not US citizens. (This is an US example, but really, the US is not the only country with such laws)

There is nothing wrong to be proud of locally-made stuff and I am an avid supporter as it brings down transportation costs, fuell consumption and pollution due to transport. I would love to see the entire world have comparable wages, thus a factory worker in Myanmar is treated as well as they are in Sweden. Though we probably have to wait for a that a great while longer if ever :S

I am afraid I am just not so much a flag-waving-proud-to-be-from-country X-person.

Maybe because my family never had a thing with borders to begin with ;)

Edited by Cununculus

Did you know the first Magic the gathering cards where printed in Belgium and a Belgian company still prints them today?

http://www.cartamundi.com/cases/magic/

Yup! Lived nearby for a while and an old acquaintance works there. They keep tight security not to spoil anything before official release. Had a fun conversation where he, as a manufacturer who has pride in his work, throws away the misprints. He considers them a stain on their reputation for manufacturing quality and seriously doesn´t understand why someone would collect them :D

Nice! Read in the newpaper they just won best product award for cards with RIFD chips embedded in them. We're one step closer to making Yu-gi-oh a reality (wait...is that a good thing?)

Also used to knew a guy back in the 90s. Dude always had the best stuff, and even an uncut sheet of Mtg cards. Then they found out his dad had swiped it from work and he got sacked. Didn't see the dude much around the store after that.

Edited by Robin Graves

If you want to discuss the morals of capitalism, any chance you could piss off to the Off Topic section to do it? You can all pretend you know exactly what goes on in Chinese factories, how much people get paid and self-congratulate yourselves all until you go blind quite happily there.

You don't even need to pretend it's about X-Wing miniatures by throwing in the odd comment now and then.

Cheers

Baaa

Did you know half this forum is not from the US?

Given that Hexdot is spanish (or vasque if he prefer), as am I; a Robin is Belgian... Yes, probably all know that...  :D

I think we should vote whether to change the prefered language on this forum :P

Off-topic forum is where this belongs.

True, a moderator will pick it up one day and place it there :)

I am afraid I am just not so much a flag-waving-proud-to-be-from-country X-person.

Maybe because my family never had a thing with borders to begin with ;)

Ja! Nederlands voor de overwinning! ;)

Or this discussion could turn ugly and Evan will come in and shut it down. Seems to be pretty civil so far.

I wonder if anyone on this forum is from China?

Hey I gotta say something good about Belgium. Half the world now thinks we're a failed state. :( (We're a country, not a state, dammit!:) )