Sign in to follow this  
BobbyM

Now that we know all of the Tie Defender pilots, how do they compare?

I think the Countess and Maarek are both better options for a "I want to put a Defender in my squad" option than Vessery is. Having more Imperial ships with the TL action makes it easier to build around Vessery than it used to be, but unless you're planning on bringing ships that prefer taking TLs, you need to fly your other ships differently because you brought Vessery along. 

Edited by WWHSD

It's funny, because I currently use Rex almost exclusively.  With the Punisher giving us the MkII engines, he is more than viable with an HLC and PTL.  Nothing like Focussing, Barrel Rolling for Position, blasting away at everyone with 4 dice and flipping them all to crits.  He is a beast.  Expensive, to be sure, but a beast nonetheless. I'm really torn with the announcement and reveal of the new pilots and accompanying titles.  If anyone is made for the Warthog title, it would be Rex, but not being able to use that HLC sort of defeats his God given talent.  Of course, in his hands, a tractor beam to line someone up with -1 agility might be just as good - though, I'm just not sold on it yet.

I will definitely still be including him in almost every Tie Defender build I make.

Does anybody think Rexler could make good use of Rage?

Yes, but only every other turn. :P

In all seriousness, yes, that could be a pretty mean combo but Rage can be painful too. Double stress and the Defender is not blessed with an abundance of Greens to remove it (apart from Ryad). I would definitely give him Mk2 engines to at least give him a chance of de-stressing. I would also look to give him the /x7 title so that you can still claim an Evade token, even when stressed.

Edited by Karhedron

Yes, but only every other turn. :P

In all seriousness, yes, that could be a pretty mean combo but Rage can be painful too. Double stress and the Defender is not blessed with an abundance of Greens to remove it (apart from Ryad). I would definitely give him Mk2 engines to at least give him a chance of de-stressing. I would also look to give him the /x7 title so that you can still claim an Evade token, even when stressed.

The dial isn't too bad with the Mk2 engines, but If you're going to run Rage you have to go with /D as Rage will modify both shots.  That gives him two very accurate shots and the focus he needs to flip the crits.  With the Ion Cannon it also allows Rexler to make those gentle green moves as he knows where they will be going.  It seems like a risky play, but on the turn that you use it he would dish out a lot of hurt.

Rexlar with x7 and Juke is all he needs. Juke helps his shots actually land, or at least force your opponent to burn a focus token on defense to reduce the damage he's going to take.

And those moments where you roll all natural hits/crits on an unshielded target, and still have that focus token? Those are just delightful. You'll usually be able to get at least one or two Rexlarings into a match, and they will almost always be terrible for your opponent.

The only negative is when you get tagged by Boba Fett, and your opponent decides to kill the x7 title.

Rexlar isn't the best, but x7 drastically improved both his price point and his freedom to spend that focus offensively, because he still keeps the evade for defense.

Which EPT is harder. Juke is 'obvious', but his power is greatest against low agi, high hull ships, where it does less good. Predator and LW both tempt me more for helping offense while staying relevant for ghost-murderin'.

Maaerek stele got that crazy price point which makes him harder to justify by default, but as a counter-meta pick he's not at all bad.

I think the Countess and Maarek are both better options for a "I want to put a Defender in my squad" option than Vessery is. Having more Imperial ships with the TL action makes it easier to build around Vessery than it used to be, but unless you're planning on bringing ships that prefer taking TLs, you need to fly your other ships differently because you brought Vessery along. 

You say that like you even need to build around Vessery anymore. The Imperials have a bunch of pilots that not only can take TLs, but want to take them, and those pilots are all independently among the best in the game so it's not like you have to compromise your squad to set it up. Whisper, Vader, Omega Leader, and The Inquisitor all have disgustingly natural synergy with Vessery that doesn't require any effort on your part, but results in you having 2-3 of the game's best ships in one squad. Why would you not?
Edited by DR4CO

Rexlar isn't the best, but x7 drastically improved both his price point and his freedom to spend that focus offensively, because he still keeps the evade for defense.

Which EPT is harder. Juke is 'obvious', but his power is greatest against low agi, high hull ships, where it does less good. Predator and LW both tempt me more for helping offense while staying relevant for ghost-murderin'.

I like the look of Lone Wolf for Defenders. With their high cost, you will never be running many of them while their high speed maneuvers (especially with /x7) makes it easy for them to keep out of each other's way.

One possible use for an Onyx: 

Countess Ryad (34)

Push the Limit (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Onyx Squadron Pilot (32)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 100

Going down to Delta at PS1 doesn't help you that much.  Whereas PS3 the tractor can move a PS1 or 2 or even sometimes a 3 ship.  

And also shoots same time as Contracted Scouts.  

Thank the scouts for PS3-4-5 meta. 

Countess Ryad (34)

Push the Limit (3)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Onyx Squadron Pilot (32)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Going down to Delta at PS1 doesn't help you that much.  Whereas PS3 the tractor can move a PS1 or 2 or even sometimes a 3 ship.  

Yes, I can definitely see this.

I got in a discussion at my local store yesterday about Onyx and the use of Hull/Shield upgrades.  I hope that I can get a few games flying against Onyx with hulls soon.  

I have just had very bad experience with X7s with added hull/shield.  Between juke, crackshot, zuckuss, tractor beams, wedge, outmaneuver... I just feel that a hull or shield upgrade is not what it used to be.  It is really more of a feeling on my part though, I have no math to back it up.

Countess Ryad (34)

Push the Limit (3)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Onyx Squadron Pilot (32)

Tractor Beam (1)

TIE/D (0)

The Inquisitor (25)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

TIE/v1 (1)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Yes, I can definitely see this.

I got in a discussion at my local store yesterday about Onyx and the use of Hull/Shield upgrades.  I hope that I can get a few games flying against Onyx with hulls soon.  

I have just had very bad experience with X7s with added hull/shield.  Between juke, crackshot, zuckuss, tractor beams, wedge, outmaneuver... I just feel that a hull or shield upgrade is not what it used to be.  It is really more of a feeling on my part though, I have no math to back it up.

Juke, Crack Shot, etc. are all arguments in favor of Hull/Shield Upgrade. They make your AGI less important, so the extra hit point is very important. Unless you mean dropping Hull for Engine to try and dodge some shots, which I could get behind.

no

I dunno, it could be OK. The thing with Rage is that you don't have to use it, and the thing with Rexlar's ability that seems to frustrate many users who have posted here is that it's pretty situational - you have to have a focus, you probably have to have some way to modify your attack, and you have to be able to deal damage cards to the target without spending the focus to do so.

So I think Rage actually pairs pretty well with Rexlar. For 37 points you get a PS 8 Defender with x7, Rage, and Mk ii. I wouldn't even think about using Rage in the first round of the engagement, but odds are that after a turn or two of dogfighting, you're going to get a good shot on an unshielded target, and Rage gives you both the dice modifier and the focus token. When you're not using Rage you still have a PS 8 Defender, which isn't too terrible.

Rexler's ability is custom made for Prockets. I've used it with him in a TIE/D with Ion Cannon, Predator and Chimps. its pure gold against any large base. Not too healthy for smalls either.

Sure it's an expensive build, but it's so damned much fun when it works. :D

Rexler's ability is custom made for Prockets. I've used it with him in a TIE/D with Ion Cannon, Predator and Chimps. its pure gold against any large base. Not too healthy for smalls either.

Sure it's an expensive build, but it's so damned much fun when it works. :D

I am liking this build!  37+3+3+3+0=46 points, that is not too bad at all.

Juke, Crack Shot, etc. are all arguments in favor of Hull/Shield Upgrade. They make your AGI less important, so the extra hit point is very important. Unless you mean dropping Hull for Engine to try and dodge some shots, which I could get behind.

For example, against a Crack Shot Swarm, each Crack Shot is worth 1 point.  So for 1 Shield Upgrade that gives you +1 hit point the opponent can decrease your list by -4 hit points.  Obviously this is the most extreme case.  With the new Tie Defender pilots and abilities, 4 points can get a Delta upgraded all the way up to Ryad or an X7 to a Tractor Beam T/D. If you can tractor beam 1 ship out of position so it misses its shot then you have gained as many as 4 shield/hull upgrades (again, most extreme case, but I have been tractored out of position so it happens). 

I need to play a lot more games, but as a player that used to have hull/shield on all my important ships and hull AND shield on my Tie Interceptors their value and usefulness has diminished.   

For example, against a Crack Shot Swarm, each Crack Shot is worth 1 point.  So for 1 Shield Upgrade that gives you +1 hit point the opponent can decrease your list by -4 hit points.  Obviously this is the most extreme case.  With the new Tie Defender pilots and abilities, 4 points can get a Delta upgraded all the way up to Ryad or an X7 to a Tractor Beam T/D. If you can tractor beam 1 ship out of position so it misses its shot then you have gained as many as 4 shield/hull upgrades (again, most extreme case, but I have been tractored out of position so it happens). 

I need to play a lot more games, but as a player that used to have hull/shield on all my important ships and hull AND shield on my Tie Interceptors their value and usefulness has diminished.

I do agree that an increase in firepower or PS is more important than the extra HP, but the extra HP is cheap compared to the cost of the ship if you already have the other stuff.