Sign in to follow this  
Supertoe

Flame of the West, New Saga

Scouring of the Shire has a very low chance of being in the sixth box now, because of The Tower of Cirith Ungol, Mount Doom, and The Black Gate being the probable quests for the final box. At least we can hope for a fellowship quest.

Edited by Ecthelion III

Scouring of the Shire has a very low chance of being in the sixth box now, because of The Tower of Cirith Ungol, Mount Doom, and The Black Gate being the probable quests for the final box...

Plus, you'd have Fellowship hero for a Saga quest that needs to use The One Ring that you just dumped back into Mount Doom.

I suppose it's possible they won't have The Black Gates as a quest in the final saga box, as quests that focus on the hobbits tend to not mix with others in a saga.

They could then throw in the gates as a fellowship or GenCon quest, like they did with Fog on the Barrow-downs and The Old Forest.

But as Kakita notes, that would leave us with a fellowship sphere hero without a One Ring. Personally, I don't think that would matter much. Fellowship Aragorn didn't need the Ring to be useful.

I suppose it's possible they won't have The Black Gates as a quest in the final saga box, as quests that focus on the hobbits tend to not mix with others in a saga.

They could then throw in the gates as a fellowship or GenCon quest, like they did with Fog on the Barrow-downs and The Old Forest.

Unlikely. I think since story-wise, the Battle of the Morannon and the destruction of the One Ring by the Ring-bearer have to happen concurrently, there will be one quest involving both. We already have The Breaking of the Fellowship, in which one player controls Frodo for the duration of the quest. Or one of the Hobbit quests where Bilbo is off by himself answering riddles. It seems doable to have the main quest require Fellowship Aragorn + the players, and a different quest/objective requiring only the Ring-bearer. Edited by Network57

Agreed that this would be likely. I guess I meant I wouldn't be surprised if the Black Gates were not a whole quest unto themselves.

Yeah, having to simultaneously fight off an overwhelming avalanche of foes just long enough for the Ringbearer to do the deed would be tense! Also to hurry as the Ringbearer, before your friends get slaughtered. Looking forward to it! :D

I could see a timer-type mechanc, where you play Black Gate first, There, you can reveal additional cards (to simulate drawing Sauron's armies out of Mordor), until you get overwhelmed, You note the number of extra reveals and the rounds survived. The latter gives you the time you have to destroy the ring in the final quest, the former affects how many enemies you see.

I could see a timer-type mechanc, where you play Black Gate first, There, you can reveal additional cards (to simulate drawing Sauron's armies out of Mordor), until you get overwhelmed, You note the number of extra reveals and the rounds survived. The latter gives you the time you have to destroy the ring in the final quest, the former affects how many enemies you see.

This is sort of how they describe the last two quests in this box.

This is sort of how they describe the last two quests in this box.

True. What I like about that approach is that it mirrors the sequene in the books. The Black Gate chapter ends with the troll dropping on Pippin and him falling unconscious, and we don't really know if it was enough until we've followed Frodo and Sam through Mordor.

Slightly off topic, but the box quality on the latest deluxe box for Thrones was a significant step down and I expect we will see the same on this expansion.

Explain.

Please :)

Were there defects on the box, did they use a different material for the box, Cards?

So the current deluxe boxes are a thick cardboard with a slight texture and the entire kid comes off. I think they are really nice. The new ones are a thin smooth shell over a corrugated cardboard and only the end opens up. Much cheaper.

I don't KNOW for certain that all the boxes are changing, but I would bet on it.

So the current deluxe boxes are a thick cardboard with a slight texture and the entire kid comes off. I think they are really nice. The new ones are a thin smooth shell over a corrugated cardboard and only the end opens up. Much cheaper.

I don't KNOW for certain that all the boxes are changing, but I would bet on it.

So you mean the literal box, nothing about the card quality itself? That's OK with me, I put everything in card sheets in binders anyways. The boxes serve no purpose for me.

Really? That's very lame. Normally I wouldn't care about a box, but with all the BS surrounding the controversial decision from Asmode (and therefore FFG) to curb online sales, increasing prices across the board for everyone, I'm annoyed they're cutting corners. They want to label themselves as a luxury brand, not some generic store brand product. Cool, I get that. But why am I paying more than before and getting less? You can't just cut corners and charge a premium price. That's like a luxury car manufacturer slapping on their hood ornaments on cheap used cars they acquired and charging you the full premium price.

Unless they actually start making the deluxe boxes functionally deck box shaped, a dip in quality doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I might even prefer lower quality so I feel less bad about throwing them away after I get the precious new cards out of them.