Sign in to follow this  
Uninvitedhaggis

Mandalorians and Line of Succession

Also, as far as we know, neither Boba nor Jango were actually mandalorians. That's all Legends now, George apparently stated at some point that they weren't mandalorians. This is of course all subject to change now.

Reference is a line in one of the early seasons of Clone Wars. Obi calls out his interaction with Jango and one of the mando political types immediately responds, with some anger/disgust in his voice, that Jango was not Mandalorian. Now... if he was saying that Jango was not of mandalorian descent, or was, but had done something so awful the entire Mando ethnic group had disowned him is another matter.

You mean something like letting the Republic make millions of clones of him for an army?

Whether or not it's canon, for gameplay purposes, having the Mask should give your character a reasonable claim to the throne, and there should be enough Mandalorians with grievances against the leadership to help your character plot to seize it.

Every player in the galaxy--the Empire, the Rebellion, the Corporate Sector Authority, the Hutts, the Black Sun--should back a faction.

Also, as far as we know, neither Boba nor Jango were actually mandalorians. That's all Legends now, George apparently stated at some point that they weren't mandalorians. This is of course all subject to change now.

Reference is a line in one of the early seasons of Clone Wars. Obi calls out his interaction with Jango and one of the mando political types immediately responds, with some anger/disgust in his voice, that Jango was not Mandalorian. Now... if he was saying that Jango was not of mandalorian descent, or was, but had done something so awful the entire Mando ethnic group had disowned him is another matter.

You mean something like letting the Republic make millions of clones of him for an army?

That's what Kal Skirata was angry about.

I'm pretty sure a Mand'alor is chosen when the clans of Mandalore choose to follow him or her.  At least that seems to be the way things played out in the case of Pre Vizsla wresting power from Duchess Satine.  Pretty sure that's also Traviss Legends canon as well.

I'm pretty sure a Mand'alor is chosen when the clans of Mandalore choose to follow him or her.  At least that seems to be the way things played out in the case of Pre Vizsla wresting power from Duchess Satine.  Pretty sure that's also Traviss Legends canon as well.

It is for the most part. There are a lot of clans though that are looked at as being in a leadership position, though, with a reverence. In the states the effect was akin to being a Bush or a Kennedy. If a promising leader from one of these clans is looking for supporters, its much easier to garner support than it is for a left-field choice.

If a character were to use the Mask of Mandalore as the platform to build their support from (calling on divine providence in effect) then they would still need to garner the support of the clans to take the title. Being Mand'alor takes more than having a suit of shiny armor.

The biggest hurdle I see lies in what the Mandalorian people want. Like I said, their warrior past didn't exactly work out for them very well - poorly enough in fact that Satine's pacifist movement garnered a frightening level of support. The Empire's meddling I think would compound this issue, rewarding pacification and punishing militant uprising. 

I often wondered what was meant by the statement that Jango wasn't a Mandalorian, whether it was actually an honest challenge to his genetics/parentage or a stubborn view or 'philosophy' as to what makes a 'true' mandalorian. Pre Vizsla did come across as an arrogant jerk, quite frankly (but I guess that was his role in the story...)

Pre Vizsla accepted the code to the letter. When Maul beat him and was about to kill him he himself said:"Like you said, only the strongest shall rule.", accepting his death as mandalorian tradition and accepting Maul as new mandalorian Leader. He was clearly not all talk, but believed in the old tradition and was willing to give his life for them. Most of deathwatch agreed with him, they even attacked Palpatine and rescued Maul from the Sith Lord. Would have been some great clone wars episodes, but we got this still as canon "Darth Maul, son of Dathomir" comic series. 

Getting back to the topic: I would be careful with claiming that title. If the PC thinks he is on par with the strongest of the strongest he can try to go for it, but this might result in a visit of some of the strongest characters in the SW universe if he dies not early on from some weaker adversaries. We are not sure what happens to Maul in the next few season of Rebels, but he actually might be still around and interested to claim that title for himself. ;-)

Because I love that duel.

Edited by SEApocalypse

So this video has a really good complication to the Mask of Mandalore idea. 

At 3:27, when confronted with Maul claiming ownership of Death Watch, Bo-Katan responds with "Never! No outsider will ever rule Mandalore!"

This brings up a really sticky situation if the PC in question isn't from one of the Clans, as the Night Owls (the offshoot of Death Watch that Bo-Katan forms) will actively resist such an attempt.

Heh, @ 0:26 Seconds to the right of the throne is Sabine's mother, Pablo did say she was in there during the duel.

Really? I mean there's no reason not, it's just kinda a nice aside.

Also that duel is a great demo of how to use a well equipped non-forcee against a glowstick waver...

Heh, @ 0:26 Seconds to the right of the throne is Sabine's mother, Pablo did say she was in there during the duel.

Really? I mean there's no reason not, it's just kinda a nice aside.

Also that duel is a great demo of how to use a well equipped non-forcee against a glowstick waver...

I agree.

Actually, at 0:35 there's someone next to Bo-Katan with the same helmet, then it flashes back to the other one beside Pre-Visla. It seems that pattern is just the helmet style for females, as all the Mandalorians wearing it are women. We know she's there, though, but with all the armor looking rather generic its tough to say where she is. I think the one next to Bo-Katan isn't her, since in at the conclusion of the battle, she flees with Bo-Katan while the one on the dias fights for Death Watch.

Though that begs the question, did Sabine's mom split with the Night Owls or stay loyal to the Death Watch? Rumor has it she's one of Maul's lieutenants in the "Son of Dathomir" comic, implying she stayed with Death Watch, but that hasn't been confirmed as far as I know.