Sign in to follow this  
Zyge

The quickest people have found the Rebel Base

Just as a matter of interest (as this almost happened in a game last night), what has been Imperial players quickest they have discovered the Rebel Base? In other words, which round?

Played my first game a few days ago:

For some reason (maybe thinking I could get easy access to it's production) I chose Utapau as my base. In turn two the Empire gained a loyalty in the system thus immediately revealing the base!

It was Neutral and there were no Imperial units nearby but they needed the production icons badly, I hadn't noticed they had next to no starship build icons under their control.

That same turn they blew up Mon Cal where we had half our ground forces. Didn't think the reveal was much of an issue as the Empire were a long way from getting the DS or troops over there; or so we thought.

Turn 5 it all ended with an awesome combo (Blindside and Planetary Conquest) launching an unopposable surprise planetary assault, only had 3 troopers left on Utapau and we lost the combat badly.

Great fun though!

So far its turn 6 for our playgroup. Both times the base was destroyed upon discovery. First instance was me being completely stupid over mutliple decisions. Second instance was me taking a gamble that actually paid off, though the rebel player did give me some unintentional give-aways and I drew all but like 8-10 cards of the probe deck.

Empire has won all (three) games so far we've played.

For some reason (maybe thinking I could get easy access to it's production) I chose Utapau as my base. In turn two the Empire gained a loyalty in the system thus immediately revealing the base!

It was Neutral and there were no Imperial units nearby but they needed the production icons badly, I hadn't noticed they had next to no starship build icons under their control.

That same turn they blew up Mon Cal where we had half our ground forces. Didn't think the reveal was much of an issue as the Empire were a long way from getting the DS or troops over there; or so we thought.

Turn 5 it all ended with an awesome combo (Blindside and Planetary Conquest) launching an unopposable surprise planetary assault, only had 3 troopers left on Utapau and we lost the combat badly.

Great fun though!

Just checking...the Imperial player used a different mission other than Rule By Fear, yes? Something like Trade Negotiations?

Because Rule By Fear requires an Imperial unit to be in the system.

Turn 3, the resulting battle went: Imperials won space, Rebels won ground with one snowspeeder surviving...the base was moved before reinforcements could clean up. =(, Rebels won on turn 10 by just moving their base again and thus avoiding destruction via Death Star.  

Great fun though!

Just checking...the Imperial player used a different mission other than Rule By Fear, yes? Something like Trade Negotiations?

This combo:

image_zpso1hy1kip.jpeg

He's referring to the initial gaining of Imperial loyalty that caused the base to be revealed. Rule by Fear, the starting Imperial mission, can only be conducted in a system that contains Imperial units.

Turn 3 in a 2v2. Drew superlaser for research turn 2. Captured Dodonna during turn 2, drew Homing beacon for a mission, then recruited Yularen. We had been moving the death star close to Utapau to superlaser or conquer it to keep it out of rebel hands. Turn 3, Homing beacon on Dodonna drops him on Rodia (which we started with). Death star is on Geonsis.

We go check out Ryloth first and the base is there. We knock down two X-Wings and the AT-AT survives against three troopers and the airspeeder. If we didn't win there, we'd have superlasered the planet before the rebels could move.

Worst intro game of Rebellion in my experience :\ The Rebels had a wide swath between Dathomir and Bothwai without any Imperial stuff nearby and could (and should) have gone there. They tried to be sneaky but it backfired. Also I guess didn't help that the most experienced player (me) took the Imperial side. In hindsight I should have been the rebels...

He's referring to the initial gaining of Imperial loyalty that caused the base to be revealed. Rule by Fear, the starting Imperial mission, can only be conducted in a system that contains Imperial units.

Ah, good point - I can't remember how they got the loyalty; if was Rule by Fear we did it wrong as there were no Imp ground units there.  I'll have to see if there is another mission that can gain Imp loyalty, how does Trade Negotiations work?

Edited by Kendraam

Ah, good point - I can't remember how they got the loyalty; if was Rule by Fear we did it wrong as there were no Imp ground units there.  I'll have to see if there is another mission that can gain Imp loyalty, how does Trade Negotiations work?

Trade Negotiations would have worked.

Turn 3 in a 2v2. Drew superlaser for research turn 2. Captured Dodonna during turn 2, drew Homing beacon for a mission, then recruited Yularen. We had been moving the death star close to Utapau to superlaser or conquer it to keep it out of rebel hands. Turn 3, Homing beacon on Dodonna drops him on Rodia (which we started with). Death star is on Geonsis.

We go check out Ryloth first and the base is there. We knock down two X-Wings and the AT-AT survives against three troopers and the airspeeder. If we didn't win there, we'd have superlasered the planet before the rebels could move.

Worst intro game of Rebellion in my experience :\ The Rebels had a wide swath between Dathomir and Bothwai without any Imperial stuff nearby and could (and should) have gone there. They tried to be sneaky but it backfired. Also I guess didn't help that the most experienced player (me) took the Imperial side. In hindsight I should have been the rebels...

Rebel players should have definitely realized that you hadn't taken the bait, and Rapidly Mobilized from Ryloth.

I once found the Rebel base on turn 3... I captured Han on turn 2 on Bespin, then on turn 3, I decided to move him with my lone Stormtrooper and Assault Carrier to Endor, and BAM! Rebel Base lol!

Great fun though!

This combo:

image_zpso1hy1kip.jpeg

When using Blindside, doesn't the mission have to include Boba or Janus?  It wouldn't work for Veers.

I thought when using an action card it could only be used with the pictured leaders unless it states something otherwise.  For example, I think the rebels have a similar action card but it says something to the effect that you get to pick the leader that the Imperials cannot oppose.

Edit: found on RR pg 2 -

Action cards used during a mission or combat can only be used

if one of the leaders shown on the card is already in the system

in which the mission or combat is occurring. The only exceptions

are action cards that specifically move the leader to the system.

Edited by bertockamus

When using Blindside, doesn't the mission have to include Boba or Janus?  It wouldn't work for Veers.

I thought when using an action card it could only be used with the pictured leaders unless it states something otherwise.  For example, I think the rebels have a similar action card but it says something to the effect that you get to pick the leader that the Imperials cannot oppose.

Edit: found on RR pg 2 -

Action cards used during a mission or combat can only be used

if one of the leaders shown on the card is already in the system

in which the mission or combat is occurring. The only exceptions

are action cards that specifically move the leader to the system.

Correct; iirc they had two leaders assigned to Planetary Conquest - Janus was one the other had some ground tactic stat but I can't remember who exactly (wasn't Veers). Janus guaranteed success and the other leader fought the combat.

Great fun though!

This combo:

image_zpso1hy1kip.jpeg

Ironically Kendraam I used this as a last resort when I realised the Rebel Base was at Hoth (I was too far away with any fleets). Only variation I had was no action card and Boba and Veers to get the units there (just to make sure). Rebel Player didn't see it coming. Say...... they should make a film about this! ;)

Round 2 . I moved from Mustafar to Hoth . We used the initial setup for a second game and will do the advanced setup next time but that, so far is the quickest discovery of the Rebel Base so far . As it was our second game my friend must have thought a neighbouring planet choice would foil me some how ....

Oh , quick edit , to mention I did not win , I failed to find him the second time but Mon Mothma was captured and turned to the dark side ..... 

this game is awesome ..

Edited by CLSMerc