Sign in to follow this  
HanShotFirst831

Just Finnished Begginer Game... Now What?

I bought and ran the EotE Begginer Game and LOVED IT  :wub: !!!

Seeing as how my usual gamming group all loved the begginer game we are wondering what we would like to do next.

I have thoroughly looked into all three of the core books and I think we would like to run one of the EotE or AoR adventures. 

I guess what my question is... Which one?

We like pretty heavy RP and good character development. Which adventure would you all recommend to fulfill these?

Welcome, HanShotFirst831!

You can do all of it with any of them and they cross over quite well.

A smuggler crew can sell supplies to an Rebel cell.

Rebels can look for help from mental psychic hermits against inquisitors.

Charlatans Witches Force Sensitives of any tradition may get involved with any bunch of ne'er do wells while on the run.

I think each line is capable of mystery, exploration, diplomacy, action or comedy so...

• How big a role do you want space-magic to play in your adventures?  If a lot, get Force and Destiny.  If the Force is rare and its practitioners not so showy you probably don't need it.
  • Do the players prefer structured adventures or a sandbox where they're more in control?  I reckon Age of Rebellion suits the former while Edge is better for the latter.

Oh, be sure to check out the free follow-up adventures to the Beginner game stuff, yeah?

Edited by Col. Orange

Decide on what direction you want YOUR campaign to go and consult with the players.  It does you no good to make an elaborate plan for a "Mysteries of the Force" campaign when your players want to play Firefly, for example.

If the players had fun and liked the characters they used in the beginners box, there is a free follow up adventure on the website.

Why choose? Do all 3! you can introduce elements from each book as they come up, that's how my group does it. My biggest suggestion is to ask your PCs what exactly (or vaguely) what they want to do. Usually people have ideas of what they want their characters to do and what they look like while their doing it. Even if it's a small scene or even just one line of dialogue it's totally possible to build encounters off of those small things. 

I told my GM i'd like my bounty hunter to function a bit like Batman and she set up a recurring quest to take down criminals of Correlia. Made gangs and everything! Our assassin said she wanted to seduce her way through checkpoints, security lines, etc. and the GM started putting in harder NPCs to flirt with or might be considered unattractive by normal standards (assassin gave 0 f*cks!). 

In the end the best advice i can give you is to listen to your players, they have ideas too, even small ones, they spark some inspiration. 

If you can afford it, I would reccomend not only buying all three rulebooks, but every single sourcebook and expansion/adventure too.

Because they are of excellent quality (even the "worst" of them is better than any other star wars RPG item I've read) and to be honest, I'd buy them for the images and lore alone.

If the players had fun and liked the characters they used in the beginners box, there is a free follow up adventure on the website.

Definitely this.  The beginner adventure is necessarily on-rails because it's mostly there to teach you the game.  The sequel, free online, is 'Long Arm of the Hutt' and it's much meatier, more like what you'd get in the other adventures.

If your group likes the role-playing and character side of things, they will really like this one.

Anyway, feel free to hang out with us; we're a pretty friendly bunch here. Weird, but friendly.

Edited by Maelora

Seeing as how my usual gamming group all loved the begginer game we are wondering what we would like to do next.

My first impulse would be to buy all the things and get all three rule books, all the career books and every adventure I could get my hands on - but that might be overwhelming to a new-to-the-system group. Much like I would never drop 300 points on a brand new player for character creation, I would take a new group and let them pick from Dugs, Twileks, Wookiees, Droids, Humans, Corellians, Mustafarians, Trandosahans, Hutts, Verpine,  Aqualishes, Gands, Toydarian, Bothans or Chiss. 

So it all depends on what you see as Star Wars. Life in the shadows, a more traditional Empire vs Rebels or whatever. I guess what you see as Star Wars would inform which direction you want to go. Once you figure that out, focus in that direction, get your legs under you and THEN explode out into the universe with all three lines.

Anyway, feel free to hang out with us; we're a pretty friendly bunch here. Weird, but friendly.

Speak for yourself. I'm public enemy number one, remember? 

Couldn't agree more that the three books are easily interchangeable. Honestly my Edge group crosses inquisitors every now and then not because the have a force sensitive but rather that they have some artifact or doo-dad the emperor might be interested in. All the books are a great reference but it can be overwhelming at first. My group started slow and added more books over time.

This has been covered elsewhere. But definitely follow up with the downloadable continuation and then proceed to "beyond the rim" and the "jewel of Yavin". Mixed reviews for mask of the pirate queen.

Question about printing the free PDF's, is there a better way to print them besides just on regular paper at your home printer?  Has anyone used Staples or another service to get them on a higher quality stock of paper or even bound?

Question about printing the free PDF's, is there a better way to print them besides just on regular paper at your home printer?  Has anyone used Staples or another service to get them on a higher quality stock of paper or even bound?

The problem with getting them printed somewhere else like that is some places seem to take copyright law overseriously and will refuse to print those kinds of files, regardless of whatever the publishers might say on the copyright page.

You should certainly be able to print them at home, and you may or may not be able to get a higher quality output if you had them printed at FedEx/Kinkos, or Staples, or whatever.

There’s also print-your-own book services like lulu.com, but I don’t know how well that’s going to work with a low page count. And you’d have to come up with a suitable cover graphic, etc….

But I can confirm that lulu.com does some really high-quality output, if you can give them input files of sufficient quality.

Seriously thanks everyone! I logged on expecting only one of two responses but this is fantastic!

I talked it over with my group and I think we decided to stick with EotE for now. How easily would it be for me to add PC background quests to the story of either Jewel of Yavin or Beyond of the Rim? Are either of them railroady or on a timer that would limit that?

Edited by HanShotFirst831

How easily would it be for me to add PC background quests to the story of either Jewel of Yavin or Beyond of the Rim? Are either of them railroady or on a timer that would limit that?

I haven't played Beyond the Rim but I ran Jewel of Yavin a few months ago.  The pack as written happens over 3 days but you could insert background related stuff to get them to Bespin in the first place with a bit of spare time before the heist kicks off. 

There is also a newer pack called Mask of the Pirate Queen which is bounty hunter shaped.