Sign in to follow this  
DanteRotterdam

Best of the books

I thought it woukd be fun to see what books are those prefered by the forum members!

For me it is the following;

Core Rule Book: Edge of the Empire

Career book: Desperate Allies

Region book: Nexus of Power

Adventure: Jewel of Yavun

Edit: Added adventure

Edited by DanteRotterdam

Core: Force and Destiny (Wow, I would say tie for all 3, but if I have to choose.)

Career: Stay on Target (awesome diversity, beast riding is cool, so are Astromec Droids)

Region: Suns of Fortune (soooo many ideas)

Adventure: AoR Begginer Game (mainly the PDF extension, the box is very railroaded by necessity.)

Edited by Richardbuxton

Core: No preference, they're all too alike for it to really be a contest.

Career: This is the big one for me. I'll have to go with a tie between Fly Casual and Special Modifications. The reason is that these two contain so much useful content in comparison to most of the other books (beyond the new specs and gear sections, that is) and show a marked lack of non-specific fluff and page-filler.

Region: Lords of Nal Hutta, based mostly on the fact that I find Hutt space to be a more interesting region of space than the Corellian system/sector.

Adventures: Don't really care. I prefer to make my own.

Core: Tie between EoE and F&D.  EoE really felt like a refreshing and new take on the SW universe, and it made me love the system.  F&D gets bonus points for balancing the Space Wizards with the muggles, while still somehow making the Force amazingly kickass without turning it up to 11.  Extra bonus points for 'dark side' being a perfectly valid option, and a self-discovery/exploration setting where the players are not suffocating under the burdens of being Sith/Jedi.  It's not that I dislike AoR, but that was the default setting for most other SW games, which we've done so many times before.

Career:  Tough choice.  There's a lot in Special Modifications. But I'll have to go with the first one, Enter the Unknown, for giving us Chiss and badly-needed upgrades to the substandard Explorer career. 

Region:  Nexus of Power - there was enough here for me to make a galaxy-spanning, multiple player-group quest looking for Jedi artefacts.

Adventure: I really liked downloadable content for the Beginners games.  The Onderon one was excellent, really let the PCs get involved and make a difference in planning that battle.  So much so it ended up being a total kerbstomp - but it was a kerbstomp because they'd prepared so well. The completely one-sided victory didn't feel like an anti-climax but the reward for a job well done.

Also kudos for Jewel of Yavin, for the restrained way it dealt with canon characters, and the very different feel of running a Star Wars heist.  I changed it a lot but this is the one that sticks in the player's minds.

Edited by Maelora

Yeah, that Nexus of Power really jumped over the high bar aleeady set by Lords of Nal Hutta... I was shocked to see how much valuable material they put into its pages. A book with Gungans in it should not be this good. Then again the Aleena pretty much made up for them anyway. Man, are they awesome or what?!

Core: Edge of the Empire; even though my campaign is AoR, we started as Edge, so it has a firm place in my heart.

Career: Desperate Allies; so many awesome, stealthy tools for my spy. It was like having a Spy-lite book.

Region: Lords of Nal Hutta; all the Hutt intrigue led to one of the campaign's favorite encounters with this bout of ritual combat.

Adventure: Mask of the Pirate Queen; used this as a Boxing Day 9-hour marathon. So much fun.

Edited by verdantsf

Core: Force and Destiny

Career: Desperate Allies

Region: Nexus of Power

Adventure: Hidden Depths. I have GM'd two groups of people through this adventure in 2 time periods. One was a year before episode 5 and the other was 6 years after episode 6. Both groups loved this adventure and what I was able to do with it. Especially the force visions I created for each player to locate their crystals.

ALL. OF. THEM..... ALL. OF. THEM.... ALL. OF. THEM..... ALL. OF. THEM. .... sorry, hypno toad got me....

Any Core Rules - If only for the dice mechansims that helped me start ditching the D20/3.5 I was used to. I was a bit daunted/confused at the start but it's really easy once you get used to the icons on each die.

Splatbook: Fly Casual and Spec Mods... coz at least 2 of our 3 man party now have splat! STILL waiting for BH splat :(

Core: Tie between Edge of the Empire and Force and Destiny

Career: Special modifications (dat Goo Gun!!)

Region: Only read Nexus of Power.

Adventure: Only ran part of Chronicles of the gatekeeper, but really like that.