Sign in to follow this  
Viperous

Take the Station - A Four Player Scenario

Just saw this on the Homepage...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/4/22/take-the-station/

It seems to be introducing us to a four-player world, and a sans-commander fleet.

Basically a four-way melee to try and gain objective tokens from the station.

A few Interesting changes to the rules for the scenario:

-4 players

-150 point lists

-Initiative is switched from player to player after each round

Rules --> https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9e/c1/9ec1e51f-1f72-4ded-baa2-e963a8032fe0/swm_take_the_station.pdf

Thoughts?

Edited by Viperous

Sounds cool. Can't wait to try this out on Vassal.

Edit: Definitely expect to see a preponderance of Raiders, ET'd Gladiators, CR90s, and Neb-Bs.

Edit 2: First list, will also be in the fleet build subforum.

Glad-I: Demo, OE, ET

Raider-I: Montferrat

Edited by ianediger

Oh yes, it will definately be the centerpiece of most fleets.

Edit: Also, I think that the Rhymerball and it's variants will not be a huge presence in this game. I don't think that there will be enough points for a mini-ball and a carrier ship, and if there is, it will be severely underpowered.

Edited by ianediger

I will play with nothing but a MC80.  Mostly to spite meta.

This was my exact thought.

I think the squadron game is going to be interesting. I think it will be very offense-focused, because defensive interceptors are likely to get alpha'd before you get to use them.

Not clearly stated but does the scenario stop after 6 rounds and/or after all but one player's ships are destroyed?

If all ships are destroyed in all but one of the fleets, the game ends at the end of the current round.

I am assuming it ends after six cause otherwise someone could just avoid the whole game and it would never end.

Not clearly stated but does the scenario stop after 6 rounds and/or after all but one player's ships are destroyed?

If all ships are destroyed in all but one of the fleets, the game ends at the end of the current round.

I am assuming it ends after six cause otherwise someone could just avoid the whole game and it would never end.

I have a feeling it ends at round 6.

Also, does the station keep it's effect, or does it loose it like in Contested Outpost?

As you wish...

Faction: Rebel Alliance

[ flagship ] MC80 Command Cruiser (106 points)

Home One  ( 7  points)

-  Adar Tallon  ( 10  points)

-  Projection Experts  ( 6  points)

-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)

-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)

Happy with this?

So, it specifies that the only rules changes from a normal game are the ones in the scenario, so safe to assume that everything works as normal unless otherwise specified.

So, yes, the station would retain its effect; yes, the game still ends after 6 rounds.  Which means that two players would get two turns of going first.

Also, does the station keep it's effect, or does it loose it like in Contested Outpost?

It says "Some rules have been changed" so I reckon these are just additional rules to the standard ones.

It doesn't mention a change to the station's ability, so I assume it keeps to its normal habits for this scenario.

Edit. Missed the boat. Rapid Ard got there first :)

Edited by Viperous

It says "Some rules have been changed" so I reckon these are just additional rules to the standard ones.

It doesn't mention a change to the station's ability, so I assume it keeps to its normal habits for this scenario.

Edit. Missed the boat. Rapid Ard got there first :)

Don't underestimate the responsiveness of a bored office worker on Friday afternoon... ;)

I really like where this is going:

lower entry, more players- exactly the sort of gateway drug that's good for the game!

My entries:

ISDI ord exp, leading shots

4 x tie fighters

Yes!  This definitely can help overall growth.  This could be a great intro game as you can show the basic mechanics with much smaller fleets.

I like the fact that this adds a really nice change and can see the future filled with many different scenarios.

I think the squadron game is going to be interesting. I think it will be very offense-focused, because defensive interceptors are likely to get alpha'd before you get to use them.

Actually with this many points an MC80 is not a terrible idea. the opportunity cost actually almost goes away, the extra dice title becomes relatively more powerful for only 5 points, you can have couple of fighters and a reasonable expectation of being able to push it with the MC80. An upgraded MC80 with a couple of Xwings or something could fit nicely where 2 AF could barely fit and the wrong kind at that. An AF and a CR90 however would maybe be better...

Or better yet go imperial, ISD speed 3, laugh maniacally. 

As you wish...

Faction: Rebel Alliance

[ flagship ] MC80 Command Cruiser (106 points)

Home One  ( 7  points)

-  Adar Tallon  ( 10  points)

-  Projection Experts  ( 6  points)

-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)

-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)

Happy with this?

Yes.  But needs more guns.

Actually with this many points an MC80 is not a terrible idea. the opportunity cost actually almost goes away, the extra dice title becomes relatively more powerful for only 5 points, you can have couple of fighters and a reasonable expectation of being able to push it with the MC80. An upgraded MC80 with a couple of Xwings or something could fit nicely where 2 AF could barely fit and the wrong kind at that. An AF and a CR90 however would maybe be better...

But then I can't quote Ackbar!!

Got to say, an ISD with a Gunnery Team and some Fighters seemed like one of the strongest options to me. Just barge in there, throwing out ludicrous attacks in every direction, crush your enemies, drive them before you, hear the lamentations of their droids. Anyone who races for the station in the first couple of turns will face down the forward armament of an armed and fully operational Star Destroyer. Take a decent bid for initiative if you're feeling bold, then set it so that you'll be first player on the pertinent turn (I'm guessing Turn 3).

That being said, I have a... singularly simplistic approach to tactics and strategy. My advice is likely not the best to take.