Sign in to follow this  
the1hodgy

So it has come to this.....

Since the launch of X-Wing, I have flown Empire excursively, and by that I mean I have never even touched a Rebel or Scum ship.

I've recently started to "dabble" with Scum and today, I've ordered my first Rebel ship.

I feel like am cheating on my old buddy the Emperor here.

But I was just wondering if anyone else, has made the jump from one faction to another.

And mainly how you are finding the difference in  those factions.

That's an Empire thing, the players somehow are attracted to HUMANITY FIRST and other Human Superiority ideals

I don't deny the above fits me perfectly. I think I've lampshaded this in another thread somewhere.

Starcraft/2 I play almost exclusively Terran.

40K is guard/marines/chaos

Star Wars I am predominantly Imperial.

I love Sci fi series like SAAB/Wing Commander/Halo etc as it's humanity vs various gribblies.

I consider myself neither sexist or racist, but definitely humanocentric.

Edited by DariusAPB

That's an Empire thing, the players somehow are attracted to HUMANITY FIRST and other Human Superiority ideals

I don't deny the above fits me perfectly. I think I've lampshaded this in another thread somewhere.

Starcraft/2 I play almost exclusively Terran.

40K is guard/marines/chaos

Star Wars I am predominantly Imperial.

I love Sci fi series like SAAB/Wing Commander/Halo etc as it's humanity vs various gribblies.

You can get away with that.... for now.

I have always bought all 3.  I started back in Wave 1 when Rebels were considered under powered.  I was going to play them, but everyone I got into the game wanted to play Rebels.  So, I started with Empire.  I like Empire and really gotten into Scum, too.  I will occasionally fly Rebels, but am not so good with them.  I want to try to do it some more.

I don't really have any affinity to any faction.  The friend I most play with always plays the Imperials, and as such I tend to play the rebels or scum just to keep it thematic. 

I am not really sure which faction I prefer, or if I really prefer one faction over and against another.  I tend to like playing "lists" that I dream up myself.  Typically I'll look at an upgrade, or an ability and ask myself how that ability would synergize with another or others, and pretty soon I'm toying with a concept list.  I think my list building ends up being more conceptual than faction oriented - not that I mix factions, but that I try and find a cool synergy for whatever ability/talent in whatever faction I am intrigued by. 

I think I am all over the map for that reason.

You can get away with that.... for now.

At least until cats develop opposable thumbs, anyway.

sophisticated-cat.gif

Since the launch of X-Wing, I have flown Empire excursively, and by that I mean I have never even touched a Rebel or Scum ship.

I've recently started to "dabble" with Scum and today, I've ordered my first Rebel ship.

I feel like am cheating on my old buddy the Emperor here.

But I was just wondering if anyone else, has made the jump from one faction to another.

And mainly how you are finding the difference in  those factions.

At first I was planning to collect only Rebels but I realised I much more prefer aces based, truly dogfighting squadrons - and in my opinion in this regard Empire is a better faction.

I only play Rebels and sometimes dabble in scum. I just can't bring myself to kill my inner child who knew that the Empire was "bad". 

Seriously, Air-Locking Palpatine at regionals last weekend was probably the best moment of the day for me. 

Edited by Timathius

Flying Imperial ships always brings back memories of TIE Fighter and the glory of defending the galaxy from terrorists, Pirates and TR-8Rs. But I'm too much of a completist to not collect all the ships, even the ugly as sin Scyk and Kirahx. And besides, I can pretend to be 'liberating' the upgrades from non-imperial expansions and returning them to their rightful place on the Emperor's finest starships.

There's no dabbling in Scum- you will have every S&V ship.... sooner than later.

Yeah, this is pretty much my thinking, I already have a problem when it comes to boardgame expansions........."But if I don't have, the expansion, how am I meant to get the full experience?"

I only play Rebels and sometimes dabble in scum. I just can't bring myself to kill my inner child who knew that the Empire was "bad". 

Seriously, Air-Locking Palpatine at regionals last weekend was probably the best moment of the day for me. 

I did a hat trick with Fel (one-shotted!), the Emprah and Vader, one after the other.

It's great to be the good guys.

But Scum is looking to be a fun faction to get into. I have some of the ships for the cards but now I'm sorely tempted to fly Kath and get some of that rear-dice action.

Edited by Lampyridae

When I started playing I knew I wanted to fly Imperial, but I found out very rapidly that the learning curve there is REALLY steep.  Soontir & Carnor are not the best place to start learning to play.

I jumped to Rebels until I felt like I'd shed my training wheels a bit, and now I'm back flying Crack Swarm.  That said, I also have my Jumpmasters with their engines idling and I'll play anything, really.  Although I most want to fly Imperials I come from a competitive Magic: The Gathering background where you just play whatever gives you the best chance of winning.

If I'm playing at a tournament I'll bring a rebel list nearly every time. I could see flying a Imperial or S&V list, but so far I haven't.

But for league night or fun games I play Rebels 50% of the time and either Imp's or Scum the other 50%. But like others I can't see why anyone would limit themselves to only using some of their toys. Except for those who only buy ships for one faction because they can't afford 2 or 3 factions.

Since Wave 3 I've pretty much strictly stuck to Imperials. When wave 7 released, I started branching out. Even took a Scum list to a SC this year. I think mostly because the last few waves Imperials have just been getting, for lack of a better term, "more of the same." K-wing, Ghost, Hounds Tooth, Jumpmaster, and even the Mist Hunter offer significantly different ways to squad build within their factions.

Punisher, Adv. Prototype and FO Figther are pretty similar to what the Empire already has. Not that those are bad ships, I've greatly enjoyed them each in their own way. But for me, the other factions have received more interesting additions recently.

I've always found it silly how people seem to play only one faction. I play all three.

Yup. I've never seen the point in deliberately limiting myself to only one flavor of the game.

Indeed, people who do so miss half the game's pleasure. FFG made the Rebels, and they delight me. FFG made the Empire, and they delight me. FFG made Scum, and they delight me.

When it comes to X-Wing... I don't choose sides.

I collect all three, as I host for games with my friends. I play Empire and Rebel.

I've never quite been able to bring myself to play scum.

You should they are quite fun. I am an avid imp man myself but scum has started to grow on me. I have played as the rebels but never found their play style as fun. But i might get back into them once LRS comes out. Really want to try this list.

Wes Janson

Adaptability

BB-8

IA

2x Guardian Sq Pilot

EM

Homing Missiles

Autoblaster Turret

LRS

Edited by 4fox100

TRAITOR!

Some people like to go deep into a faction rather than wide into all 3. I've flown a bit of every faction but most of my joy comes out of exploring deep into imperials.

Time is a constraint 4 me so playing everything is too optimistic/ambitious.

I've always found it silly how people seem to play only one faction. I play all three.

Yup. I've never seen the point in deliberately limiting myself to only one flavor of the game.

Indeed, people who do so miss half the game's pleasure. FFG made the Rebels, and they delight me. FFG made the Empire, and they delight me. FFG made Scum, and they delight me.

When it comes to X-Wing... I don't choose sides.

I play rebels and scum but have never played Empire but in demo games. I really don't feel like I'm limiting myself and I know I'm not missing out on half the pleasure. If I enjoy every game with the factions I prefer playing, I'm not sure how someone can assert that I don't get as much enjoyment as they do.

The character of the empire just doesn't really appeal to me, and I think I would enjoy the game less if I forced myself to play a faction I don't like for the sake of completionism. Also, it presents a rewarding challenge to play against the empire. I get to learn their card interactions and styles through battlefield experience.