Sign in to follow this  
McFoy

Boba vs Titles

Can Boba discard the titles of certain ships and negate the benefits? If he can would a ghost & phantom no longer be able shoot out the rear arc or take a second shot with a turret?

Can Boba discard the titles of certain ships and negate the benefits? If he can would a ghost & phantom no longer be able shoot out the rear arc or take a second shot with a turret?

Yes, but if you crit the Ghost, by FAR the best thing to tear off is usually the turret itself, not the title.  Then you cost him the major benefit of the title (the second shot) and his ability to fire out of arc.

(I picture Boba rocket packing over and carving off the name plate of the ship with a vibroblade.  I'm not sure how this stops the benefit working but I don't care)

Edited by thespaceinvader

Yes, but if you crit the Ghost, by FAR the best thing to tear off is usually the turret itself, not the title.  Then you cost him the major benefit of the title (the second shot) and his ability to fire out of arc.

(I picture Boba rocket packing over and carving off the name plate of the ship with a vibroblade.  I'm not sure how this stops the benefit working but I don't care)

Well title is usually more then just a name...in case of Ghost&Phantom those are crew members that pilot the Phantom and operate the turret while its docked and custom connections that allow it to shoot while docked. 

Look at BTL Ywing and RGT 'ceptors. Those are not names but rather group of ships modified in some way to get certain effects.

Edited by Vitalis

Since the Ghost title only governs when the shuttle can deploy, all Bobaing it does is guarantee that the shuttle only deploys when the VCX-100 is destroyed.

The Phantom only grants abilities to the Ghost, not to some generic VCX-100 it suddenly finds itself docked to.

You are wrong. Discarding a card does take its effect away. This even goes for discarding R2-D6. You do lose your Elite slot. But that does not force you to discard your Elite upgrade card, as the slot only matters during squad building.

Since the Ghost title only governs when the shuttle can deploy, all Bobaing it does is guarantee that the shuttle only deploys when the VCX-100 is destroyed.

The Phantom only grants abilities to the Ghost, not to some generic VCX-100 it suddenly finds itself docked to.

Yup. If the Phantom is still docked, the Ghost title is probably one of the best cards in the game to use Boba Fett against.

Just to be clear, here is the text for both titles:

Ghost: Equip the Phantom title card to a friendly Attack Shuttle and dock it to this ship. After you execute a maneuver, you may deploy it from your rear guides.

Phantom: While you are docked, the Ghost can perform primary weapon attacks from its special firing arc, and, at the end of the Combat phase, it may perform an additional attack with an equipped . If it performs this attack, it cannot attack again this round.

So what I've taken from this thread is that if you Boba either title card then if negates the abilities of the other because they specifically mention ghost and phantom?

Ghost: Equip the Phantom title card to a friendly Attack Shuttle and dock it to this ship. After you execute a maneuver, you may deploy it from your rear guides.

Phantom: While you are docked, the Ghost can perform primary weapon attacks from its special firing arc, and, at the end of the Combat phase, it may perform an additional attack with an equipped . If it performs this attack, it cannot attack again this round.

So what I've taken from this thread is that if you Boba either title card then if negates the abilities of the other because they specifically mention ghost and phantom?

Correct, but while docked, the Phantom is not in play so it can't be targeted by Boba. So you kill the Ghost title, which keeps the Phantom from deploying and keeps the VCX-100 from performing rear arc attacks and getting the bonus turret attack, because those benefits only apply to the ship with the Ghost title.

Correct, but while docked, the Phantom is not in play so it can't be targeted by Boba. So you kill the Ghost title, which keeps the Phantom from deploying and keeps the VCX-100 from performing rear arc attacks and getting the bonus turret attack, because those benefits only apply to the ship with the Ghost title.

I originally thought the same and was going to rule that way: i.e. the Phantom title specifically references the 'Ghost' and since the Ghost title is gone that negates the ability of the Phantom title card.

However, in the FAQ for Boba Fett it says the following:

"If Boba Fett is used to discard the Ghost title while the Phantom is docked, the Phantom remains docked and cannot deploy until the Ghost is destroyed (forcing it to deploy)"

The last part of that sentence refers to the VCX as the 'Ghost' even after the title is gone. Since there is precedent in the FAQ I would therefore rule that the Phantom title is still active and the VCX can still perform primary attacks out of the rear arc and perform the extra turret attacks.

Curious if everyone agrees that this is how Boba can affect titles:

Andrasta - No change to added cards.

Awing Test Pilot - No changes.

BTL-A4-Ywing - No more secondary after primary attack and turret can fire out of arc. 

Dauntless - Ability for free action removed.

Ghost - Unable to deploy the Phantom until you die.

Heavy Scyk - No changes.

Hounds Tooth - (???) - Unable to deploy the PUP???

IG-2000 - Shared abilities are gone.

Millennium Falcon - Ability to evade taken away.

Mist Hunter - Barrel Roll Ability removed, but Tractor Beam stays.

Moldy Crow - Ability to stack focuses removed.

Outrider - makes the cannon fixed and allows you to fire your primary.

Punishing One - primary weapon back to normal.

Phantom - ??? No changes???

Royal Guard Tie - No changes.

Slave One - Allows you to equip a Torpedo Card - No effect.

ST321 - Ability to TL anywhere gone.

Tie X1 - No change to added cards.

Tie/v1 - Free Evade with TL ability lost.

Tie/x7 - Added Evade token ability lost.

Tie/D - Dual attack ability lost.

Tie Shuttle - No changes to equipped Crew cards.

Virago - No changes.

Curious if everyone agrees that this is how Boba can affect titles:

Andrasta - No change to added cards.

Awing Test Pilot - No changes.

BTL-A4-Ywing - No more secondary after primary attack and turret can fire out of arc. 

Dauntless - Ability for free action removed.

Ghost - Unable to deploy the Phantom until you die.

Heavy Scyk - No changes.

Hounds Tooth - (???) - Unable to deploy the PUP???

IG-2000 - Shared abilities are gone.

Millennium Falcon - Ability to evade taken away.

Mist Hunter - Barrel Roll Ability removed, but Tractor Beam stays.

Moldy Crow - Ability to stack focuses removed.

Outrider - makes the cannon fixed and allows you to fire your primary.

Punishing One - primary weapon back to normal.

Phantom - ??? No changes???

Royal Guard Tie - No changes.

Slave One - Allows you to equip a Torpedo Card - No effect.

ST321 - Ability to TL anywhere gone.

Tie X1 - No change to added cards.

Tie/v1 - Free Evade with TL ability lost.

Tie/x7 - Added Evade token ability lost.

Tie/D - Dual attack ability lost.

Tie Shuttle - No changes to equipped Crew cards.

Virago - No changes.

Hound's Tooth definitely removes the pup.

Phantom does nothing if removed, as you're only ever going to be able to remove it after it's deployed, and it therefore has already done what it was there to do and isn't doing anything any more.

I originally thought the same and was going to rule that way: i.e. the Phantom title specifically references the 'Ghost' and since the Ghost title is gone that negates the ability of the Phantom title card.

"If Boba Fett is used to discard the Ghost title while the Phantom is docked, the Phantom remains docked and cannot deploy until the Ghost is destroyed (forcing it to deploy)"

The last part of that sentence refers to the VCX as the 'Ghost' even after the title is gone. Since there is precedent in the FAQ I would therefore rule that the Phantom title is still active and the VCX can still perform primary attacks out of the rear arc and perform the extra turret attacks.

I agree, it's the Phantom title that allows the extra turret and rear arc attack.  It's still docked and has it's title, and therefore still has it's rules in effect as they state "while you are docked..."

I agree, it's the Phantom title that allows the extra turret and rear arc attack.  It's still docked and has it's title, and therefore still has it's rules in effect as they state "while you are docked..."

"While you are docked, the Ghost can..." There is no ship in the game called the Ghost. I'm not about to take an FFG FAQ writer doing sloppy word replacement as an intended ruling.

Edited by skotothalamos

I think that's bad wording and not a precedent that a ship that losses a title still has the title. That second use of "the Ghost" really should be "the ship formerly known as the Ghost".

It could also be interpreted that the Phantom will be unable to ever deploy if it only deploys when the Ghost is destroyed since there is no Ghost in play.

I kinda feel that they refer to it as Ghost in that example for consistency If there's no ghost title then there can't be a ghost though I see your point.  

Disagree. The Hound's Tooth title allows you to start with the Pup docked (which won't be retroactively changed by removing it), and it gives you a deploy option. So if the title gets Boba'd away, you will fall back in the general rules for deploying docked ships when the carrier is destroyed. So the Pup will still deploy, but with a damage card.

Disagree. The Hound's Tooth title allows you to start with the Pup docked (which won't be retroactively changed by removing it), and it gives you a deploy option. So if the title gets Boba'd away, you will fall back in the general rules for deploying docked ships when the carrier is destroyed. So the Pup will still deploy, but with a damage card.

After you are destroyed, before you are removed from the play area, you may deploy the Nashtah Pup Pilot.

That's the exact text.  The Pup doesn't exist without the title, it's not a docked ship the way the Phantom is. That would be my position, anyway.  It's implied, but not stated anywhere unless it's in the expansion rulebook which I can't check right now.

The problem is FFG has flip flopped on whether abilities and effects are taken away when a card is removed.

At one point they said it stays, and now it seems like they go away.

I think we all knew Boba was going to get FAQ'd.  The description on the card is far too brief.

The problem is FFG has flip flopped on whether abilities and effects are taken away when a card is removed.

At one point they said it stays, and now it seems like they go away.

They have? The rules are pretty clear that cards that are out of play no longer have an effect on the game.

I can't think of any card that continues to have a game effect after it has been removed from play. There are some cards that may trigger before the card leaves play with an effect that may continue after the card has been removed but nothing that continues to trigger after removal.

I think we all knew Boba was going to get FAQ'd.  The description on the card is far too brief.

I don't think that the card is too brief at all, but that doesn't mean that FAQ entries aren't justified. A thorough reading of the cards make it clear that it doesn't matter if Chewbacca or Determination discards or flips down the card that was dealt face-up but that doesn't mean putting it in the FAQ is unjustified.  
Edited by WWHSD

I can't think of any card that continues to have a game effect after it has been removed from play.

Depends on how you define a game effect. You could make the argument that R2-D6 continues to have a game effect after it's removed. You don't lose the EPT slot if you eject the droid.

That is IMO a flawed argument however, because R2-D6's effect really only applies in the squad building step, and it's not really an in-game effect in the first place. But some people do tend to consider it such.