Sign in to follow this  
FuriousGreg

I have a Rey theory...

I read a leaked script. Donno how accurate it is, but I'm not sure what I feel about what I read.

Spoilers obivously.

Rey is the reincarnation of Annie and apparently the chosen one has turned up every time the galaxy has been in serious upheaval. At first he refuses to train her because in every instince of the chosen ones arrival; that person has had a strong association to the dark side due to the chaos present in their birth. Basically, virgin birth. Sidious didn't make Annakin. I find this both interesting and fairly unsatisfying, not that I ever found her parentage of much interest. It creates a interesting twist on the whole story though, though the idea of a "light side" of the force instead of "the force" really doesn't sit well with me.

Personally, I find that unsatisfying. 

Edited by Lordbiscuit

snip

Yeah I....am slightly skeptical about such a script.  Given how much effort they've put in, to distancing themselves from the prequel trilogy, to adopt that specific plot point, and hinge the entire story on it seems....less than plausible.   :D

Yeah, the only concern I have is that it might be real.

I mean; I don't get the desperate urge to distance themselves from the prequel's to be honest. Aside from some really poor writing it's alright. It just needed a bit more fun.

Rey is the reincarnation of Annie and apparently the chosen one has turned up every time the galaxy has been in serious upheaval. At first he refuses to train her because in every instince of the chosen ones arrival; that person has had a strong association to the dark side due to the chaos present in their birth. Basically, virgin birth. Sidious didn't make Annakin. I find this both interesting and fairly unsatisfying, not that I ever found her parentage of much interest. It creates a interesting twist on the whole story though, though the idea of a "light side" of the force instead of "the force" really doesn't sit well with me.

I dislike hate  despise that theory.

There's a problem with these theories, Bloodline blows them all to hell.  Bloodline is set a mere six years before TFA... Ben is still at Luke's Jedi Academy, and has not turned... the First Order has yet to emerge  Here's the problem; , young Rey in the vision is maybe 6 or 7...  All of this speculation assumes Rey is left on Jakku after the fall of he new Jedi Academy.  That timeline is now shot.

I'd consider this one highly unlikely. Disney has been working too hard to help people forget there's a prequel trilogy, referencing it in such a "The Force is just Midichlorians farting" kinda way just seems like they might as well require proof of viewing of Episode I before letting you into the theater for Episode IIX. Just outright undo everything they'd done...

There's a problem with these theories, Bloodline blows them all to hell. Bloodline is set a mere six years before TFA... Ben is still at Luke's Jedi Academy, and has not turned... the First Order has yet to emerge Here's the problem; , young Rey in the vision is maybe 6 or 7... All of this speculation assumes Rey is left on Jakku after the fall of he new Jedi Academy. That timeline is now shot.

Not totally shot, but it does make the Luke-Rey Connection, as well as several others, significantly more improbable.

Also: Thank you.

Edited by Ghostofman

I don't really see it as distancing from the prequel; just at this point that last war ended 50 years ago and there's nothing left from there that's relevant. Everything but a poorly explained prophesy that causes a chosen one to appear, I feel Disney might use elements of that to describe the protagonist and actually flesh out what it means; and eventually how she defies the ultimate foe destiny itself to break the dark side forever*. Referencing a prophesy that turns out to be interpretatived wrongly anyways would be pretty funny actually, history repeating itself.

Personally; I much prefer the mundane birth but it won't be. There will be a killer twist somewhere; thats the problem with movies, there's always a killer twist.

The other disappointment is how Luke basically blew his one shot at life. You mean to tell me in 30 years, he's not once found love? I mean he already blew his career choice once which makes me really feel for this miserable fate he's been given. At least Han had a life well lived and passed on with some reassurance.

*Or until someone stubs their toe on a door.

Its not an in-universe distancing, it's a real world distancing. Did you notice that shortly after Disney bought lucasfilm the amount of prequel products on the shelves suddenly vanished? Clone wars, action figures, video games, all just gone like a load of spice from hans cargo hold. It's because part of Disney's marketing strategy was to get the customer thinking about how good the original trilogy is, not how bad the prequels are in preparation for the new trilogy.

That's why the Anakin Recycling theory seems a little unlikely, until Disney feels the audience won't reject something based on prequel derpiness, they aren't going to want to go there.

It's possible that now that things are bouncing back it'll be less taboo, but I'm guessing that won't happen until after Rogue One comes and proves (or doesn't) that you don't need the original characters and Jedi to have a good Star Wars movie.But I'll be really surprised if we see any serious reference to the prequel trilogy beyond the offhanded snide comment until after Episode IX is on blu ray.

All I ask of the "Rey and her mysterious parents"-storyline is that she not be related to Luke in any way. Or any of the other known personalities of the SW universe, really. What's so wrong about having her parents be someone we've never heard of who abandoned her on Jakku for reasons that has nothing to do with the Skywalker family? I would be perfectly fine with that.

All I ask of the "Rey and her mysterious parents"-storyline is that she not be related to Luke in any way. Or any of the other known personalities of the SW universe, really. What's so wrong about having her parents be someone we've never heard of who abandoned her on Jakku for reasons that has nothing to do with the Skywalker family? I would be perfectly fine with that.

I agree that it's time to pass the torch and I think that the enmity between Ray and Ren should represent that passing. Ren representing the grasping of a dynasty onto power and Rey representing a new way.

As for Ray not having any published background, I'm not so sure I can agree. Krieger22, have you read Lost Stars? If not my theory may not make as much sense to you. If you do/have read it you'll see that other than it taking place within the right time frame and their ending up on Jakku the characters Kyrell and Ciena are essentially unrelated to anyone or any other storyline of the series, so it should fit into your desire that she be her own story line. One of the reasons I like my theory is that not only does it separate Ray from the Skywalkers but that represents a combining of both sides of the conflict and gives some back story to work with rather than making it up later. It also gives an opportunity to connect her to Luke and the Force in a way that makes sense.

Edited by FuriousGreg

That "leaked" Ep. VIII script sounds awful. It's like the Legend of Zelda, where Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf keep appearing, again, and again, and again. I am by no means trashing Zelda - great games - but I hold Star Wars plots to a higher standard.

What would be awesome is if Rey was Obi-Wan's grandaughter - just to bring the training cycle full circle.

And what would make it REALLY awesome is if Padme was her grandma! (cue soap opera cliffhanger/end credit theme of your choice)

Probably, just Star Wars is just a straight fantasy storyline given a si-fi gleam. Considering the force is meant to be an entity with a will of its own. I lik the setting, but nor would I have particularly high expections.

Whatever comes comes for me. Heheh

To me the 2 most plausible ways to sell it, if Rey is Luke's daughter are:

1. He had a fling and didn't know about her
  2. He had a daughter around the time of Ben's fall, but sent her with mommy because he was afraid he'd send her to the dark side too. If mommy left her on Jakku then got captured or killed, Luke might've had cause to believe she was dead too.

I think it was Fragments of the Rim which pointed out how much of his character motivation is driven by family relations (ie: not going to the academy to help with harvest, surrendering to the emperor to save his father from the dark side).

Or else Rey is also Luke's sister.  In which case he ran away because of his feelings for her.  It's Star Wars, there's been a virgin birth.  I see no reason why there couldn't also be a motherless birth.

May I remind people we still don't know who Finn's parents are either?

Don't mind if they make Rey, Poe's sister but after 30 years you'd think they'd have thought out the script better!

I'm wondering if Rey is the daughter of Ezra so he'll be Kylo's new master in episode 8 and just because all the bickering is annoying me that Finn turns out to be Luke's son its just that it was so unlikely and they never bothered to compare his dna with Kylo to realise their mistake!

Oh and Rey is Obi-Wan's Grand daughter!

That part I hoped for when they first started wondering who her parents were and one poll refused to admit she might not be either a Solo or Skywalker!

Just wanted her to give Kylo the two fingered salute when he tried to mind probe her... which happened!

So I'm happy at least that happened!

Is it bad I want Luke and Rey to face their darkside equivalents?

Edited by copperbell

There is absolutely no way Obi-Wan could possibly be Rey's father. He died in ANH, which took place 34 years before The Force Awakens. Rey is clearly not 34 years old. Unless you want to go really far out with frozen embryos and suspended animation, there's just no way it works out chronologically.

There isn't really a lot of info to back up an Obi-Wan parentage since in Kanobi he ends up on Tatooine pretty much right after Luke is born and stays there the whole time.

Hence why a) he's her grandfather, and b) Padme is her grandmother.

There isn't really a lot of info to back up an Obi-Wan parentage since in Kanobi he ends up on Tatooine pretty much right after Luke is born and stays there the whole time.

Hence why a) he's her grandfather, and b) Padme is her grandmother.

Man you are shipping some crazy ships!  :)  Stop reading Star Wars slash/fic !!  It's poisoning your mind!