Sign in to follow this  
FuriousGreg

I have a Rey theory...

She could be the daughter of Thane Kyrell and Ciena Ree from Lost Stars. There are a few visual clues as well some story bits: The fact she is on Jakku (Likely the only reason Jakku is in SW VIII is this book), the crashed Star Destroyer she makes her living from, and her "natural" piloting skills.
Both of them were the best pilots in the Imperial Academy, and the books kept eluding to the Force in their encounters and their strong, almost connected way they could fly together, even though they didn't have any training. Plus they both ended up on Jakku after crashing a Star Destroyer...

Interesting idea, but my automatic response has to be:

If her parentage matters at all, why make them characters from a novel? Other then as some kind of easter egg...

Remember you have to think Film-First. If the audience doesn't see it in the film, there has to be an assumption they know nothing about it. So, it's totally possible they are her parents... but that also means spending screen time introducing them and explaining why the audience should give a rats.

The best one I've seen so far (as much as I despise it) the one that points to the similarity between Rey's parents shuttle, and Luke's shuttle from the Marvel comics. It's a loose thread at best (and Rey was certainly old enough to know if her father was Luke Skywalker when abandoned) so I hate it, and think it's dumb, and really hope it's not true. But at the end of the day, Star Wars is tied to the Skywalkers like the corpse of a vengeful sea captain to an albino whale, and probably always will be, at least the main story anyway....

I get what you are saying and I don't disagree. My guess is whoever her parents were/are did leave with Luke, probably to be trained as Jedi and likely killed or at least one killed by Kylo Ren. Why she was left on the planet is unclear but it better be something important...
JJ has a mystery fetish that I've never really appreciated and as much as I like a mystery I don't think SW is the best vehicle for that type of story telling. There are just too many unanswered questions in Ep VII: who is Rey, who is Snoke, what happened to Luke, who is Maz, what happened with Luke's lightsabre, why did Ren go to the Dark Side... ?

Star Wars is about cliffhangers and maybe a mystery that unfolds through the heroes journey but JJ has it set up like a Lost episode. You don't catch all of it when you're watching the film but after the questions begin to mount, and honestly rather than wanting to know because I want to see the story evolve I just want to know because it bothers me that I wasn't told something important when I should have been.

My guess is whoever her parents were/are did leave with Luke, probably to be trained as Jedi and likely killed or at least one killed by Kylo Ren. Why she was left on the planet is unclear but it better be something important...

Thank you for proposing that. I like that solution way better as it cuts Rey from the Skywalker bloodline while still trolling people obsessed with finding out who Rey's parents are.

I'm not sure if I like having those two be Rey's parent more than Skywalker having a kid he didn't know about? But it's an interesting theory. I get why people want the break from the Skywalkers to some degree, but they've said the saga will continue to be about the Skywalkers while the one shots explore other corners of the universe. And I'd like to think Luke found some happiness after RotJ instead just failing at everything.

I kinda have mixed feelings about JJ's secretive lean on the movies. On one hand it would be nice to know more about the characters, but we didn't know anything going into A New Hope the first time and I liked learning more as I read more books and the universe was fleshed out. Since they rebooted the canon I can't blame them if they're taking their time to re-establish plausible relationships and events rather than giving us Luke falling to the dark side every other story like the old EU.

I'm not sure if I like having those two be Rey's parent more than Skywalker having a kid he didn't know about? But it's an interesting theory. I get why people want the break from the Skywalkers to some degree, but they've said the saga will continue to be about the Skywalkers while the one shots explore other corners of the universe. And I'd like to think Luke found some happiness after RotJ instead just failing at everything.

I tend to agree with you and until JJ came out and said we didn't see Rey's parents in the film I had no problem with Luke being her father. But now that we know Luke isn't (unless JJ is lying) this theory popped into my head.

Since we're spitballing here ... 

What if Rey and Ben are siblings?

The movie shows Ben killing what I assume are other Jedi or students of some sort....

If Luke tells Han and Leia that Ben killed ALL the students and Rey was one then that would be why they never mention another sibling other than Ben.  It also explains why Luke left so suddenly...he couldn't bear to be around anyone after his failure so to make sure that Ben never came after him and pried from him the information on Rey's whereabouts he stashed her on Jakku and lead Leia and Han to believe she was dead.  It also explains the shock and sadness on Luke's face.  It also partially explains the R2D2 catatonic state because perhaps Luke putting his hand on R2 was a furtive plea not unlike his sister's plea from Episode IV.

The chemistry with Han, natural piloting, smooth talking and force sensitivity all seem to be reasonable traits of a child from Han and Leia.  Chewie's natural acceptance, trust, and support of Rey may be something he just intuits as well.  The passing down of the falcon and blaster as inherited gifts from father to daughter.  There are just a lot of bits that seem to align and make sense...

That JJ says that her parents aren't in The Force Awakens could also be interpreted to mean REY never sees (recognizes) her parents in the film which is 100% true.

I tend to agree with you and until JJ came out and said we didn't see Rey's parents in the film I had no problem with Luke being her father. But now that we know Luke isn't (unless JJ is lying) this theory popped into my head.

I thought he partially retracted that statement, making it far less definitive.

Then again, he wouldn't be the first director to use misdirection to try and lead fans away from a particular conclusion.  Case in point, Game of Thrones and everyone swearing up and down that "Jon Snow is dead," and yet there's been leaks from filming locations for episodes later in Season 6 of one Kit Harrington with his Jon Snow hair (something he's contractually obligated to keep) and dressed in armor that's pretty close to Stark colors.  Whether this means anything remains to be seen, but a lot of folks are taking the "Jon Snow is dead" line with some hefty grains of salt.

Besides, this is the same man that said Benedict Cumberbatch's character in ST:ID wasn't Khan, and I think we know how that one turned out.

Possible, but again we hit one specific snag:

Rey knows what at least one, if not both, of her parents look like.

So between meeting both Han and Leia, as some point she would have said SOMETHING. And we can be certain that she didn't think Han was her dad, because while with Han she tries to get back to Jakku at least once.

So... if Rey even is a Skywalker at all, she'd have to be related to Luke.

Or.....  since we're spitballing.... it's possible that sometime between EP I and EP II Shmi Schmo Schmuppy Skywalker had another kid that didn't get mentioned for one reason or another and Rey is more of a Step Niece once removed... or something...

This is a pretty low probability option though considering that Disney has been actively suppressing the prequels. Not to mention how "I'm your grandfather's stepsister's son's daughter" is only missing "'s former roomate"

Edited by Ghostofman

I thought he partially retracted that statement, making it far less definitive.

Then again, he wouldn't be the first director to use misdirection to try and lead fans away from a particular conclusion.  Case in point, Game of Thrones and everyone swearing up and down that "Jon Snow is dead," and yet there's been leaks from filming locations for episodes later in Season 6 of one Kit Harrington with his Jon Snow hair (something he's contractually obligated to keep) and dressed in armor that's pretty close to Stark colors.  Whether this means anything remains to be seen, but a lot of folks are taking the "Jon Snow is dead" line with some hefty grains of salt.

Besides, this is the same man that said Benedict Cumberbatch's character in ST:ID wasn't Khan, and I think we know how that one turned out.

Good points...

JJ is kind of a pr*ck that way. 

Based on what?  I don't recall her saying she had a memory of them, or a picture, or anything else.  Now ... I only saw the movie a few times back when it came out so my memory is DEFINITELY fading on the specific details...but I'm curious why you're saying that.

Based on what?  I don't recall her saying she had a memory of them, or a picture, or anything else.  Now ... I only saw the movie a few times back when it came out so my memory is DEFINITELY fading on the specific details...but I'm curious why you're saying that.

Because in the flashback she's this old:

star-wars-rey-theory-8a.jpg

I mean this scene could be nixed with a lame cop out, but assuming that's supposed to be Rey's parents leaving, she's old enough to know who her parents are.

That's why of all the stupid theories circling, Rey's parentage is one of the goofier. Unlike the Skywalker twins, Rey actually knew her parents long enough to know what their faces look like, and probably who they actually are.

So that leaves you with essentially fourish possibilities:

1) It's no one she's shared a real scene with. Han and Leia are right out because she spent ample time with both, and even rejected Solo's job offer so she could get back to Jakku and wait.

2) It's Luke. That's how she knows at least about the heroes of Yavin, and the force a bit. Luke being Luke, she made a point of never playing "who is my daddy, and what does he do?" To keep her off the radar of anyone of Luke's possibly many enemies. This is why the end of TFA is just them looking at each other in shock. (Of course if this is the case, we'll pretty much have it locked down by the end of Episode IIX, if not by the end of the first act...or the end of the scroll...)

3) Her parents no longer look even remotely like they did 12ish years ago when they left her, so she can't recognize them. (Insert ludicrous Snoke theory here)

4) It's no one we know, or at least no one we've seen her share a scene with.

Ish) A lame cop out of some kinda will be revealed to make that flashback scene moot and allow Rey's parents to be someone she has shared a scene with.

Edited by Ghostofman

How does that flashback imply anything other than her age?

She yells, "No! Come back!"

She isn't showed with anyone other than the junk dealer in that scene. She isn't handed off by someone we see.

You're making just as big an assumption as any of the other theories. In fact, remember in her flashback she sees Ben, who turns to her and takes an aggressive step toward her. That could easily be interpreted as Ben tried to kill her when she was small which supports the claim that she was saved by someone (Luke?) and hidden away.

It also makes sense then that Ben recognizes her later since they would both presumably have had a relationship with Luke.

EDIT:  I just wanted to edit to say that the whole point of speculation is to have fun thinking about the possibilities!  Your theory is as legit as any of the others floating around including Rey being the love child of Vader and Yoda....HOT. :lol:  

Edited by thelastcantina

I'm sticking with the child of Palpatine and some yet introduced woman theory. Snoke is Palpatine's clone and will finally kill Luke in ep. 8. :)

I also like the daughter of Ezra Bridger or Kenan from Star Wars rebels but think the odds of this are very small.

I get what you are saying and I don't disagree. My guess is whoever her parents were/are did leave with Luke, probably to be trained as Jedi and likely killed or at least one killed by Kylo Ren. Why she was left on the planet is unclear but it better be something important...

JJ has a mystery fetish that I've never really appreciated and as much as I like a mystery I don't think SW is the best vehicle for that type of story telling. There are just too many unanswered questions in Ep VII: who is Rey, who is Snoke, what happened to Luke, who is Maz, what happened with Luke's lightsabre, why did Ren go to the Dark Side... ?

Star Wars is about cliffhangers and maybe a mystery that unfolds through the heroes journey but JJ has it set up like a Lost episode. You don't catch all of it when you're watching the film but after the questions begin to mount, and honestly rather than wanting to know because I want to see the story evolve I just want to know because it bothers me that I wasn't told something important when I should have been.

I don't know, is it really something new to have a movie provide mystery to it's plot elements?  This doesn't seem all that new to me.  It's just basic storytelling.  You stop telling your campfire story right at the juicy part, so they come back tomorrow night (and buy your rounds of ale), to hear what happens next.  If you explain all of it up front, it just loses the mystery.  And mystery isn't a "JJ Abrams thing", it's a storytelling thing.  He just happens to use it a lot, in comparison to a lot of current film developers.  Which now that I think about it, actually raises him a bit in my estimation.  Yeah he might not execute them perfectly every time *cough* Into Darkness *cough*, but he at least actually tries to engage the wonder and imagination of his audience, and intentionally doesn't spoil everything about the movie, so that you (the plural you) are actually interested in seeing what happens next.   The deal with 10 Cloverfield Lane is a good example (in my opinion), of how engaging in mystery about the story (and it's advertisement), makes for a better experience when you see it.

I think that's honestly something that's been lost in a lot of today's instant media world when it comes to entertainment.  We want to know who's in the movie, what the plot is, who the villain is, what their conflict is, etc etc etc.  Right now!  "I don't care that the movie doesn't come out for another 12 months, TELL ME NOOOOOW!"

Not having every plot element fed to us in the first installment, of an already built 3 movie trilogy, is just good story development.   

I don't really care if Rey is a Skywalker or not.  I think she is, but even if it turns out to be a red herring, it's fine, the mystery of who she is, and why she's able to do what she can do, is still an enjoyable journey to go on.   As long as JJ doesn't crap the bed, and say "she's a Vergence of the Force" kind of thing, I really am fine with either way it would play out.  

While I do think they edited some bits that would make the story smoother, specifically stuff about Rey's skills, that is apparently explained in the book, but not explained in the movie.   It's still not a deal breaker for me.   JJ is trying to tell a story, to a generation of very movie savvy viewers.  We've grown up on shows and media that is entirely built around the idea of analyzing and breaking down movie structure.  Things like MST 3K, Red Letter Media, Nostalgia Critic, tvtropes, and other similar forms of "movie review" entertainment.  All of these things has helped to create an audience that is more aware, then ever before, about how a movie is structured, and what it subtly hints at later.   So it's very hard to sneak anything past the audience.  They will see a plot element and be like "Oh! Well they did that, so that means that obviously this is going to happen later!  And that means X will equal Y, and Y will cause Z to happen, and then resolution!"   And a lot of times, they will be right.   A lot of flims are very formulaic.   JJ is at least trying to not fall into that trap with his work.  He's trying to keep things mysterious to a point, so that we have something to look forward to in episodes 8 & 9.

Eh, kind of rambled there.  I just don't see a problem with him intentionally leaving things unexplained, when he knows he's got 2 more movies in the pipe.  Lucas didn't know that really with New Hope, so that's why we have a few bits that don't make sense, as they were basically forced to be retconned when the plot was altered for the subsequent movies.

I mean this scene could be nixed with a lame cop out, but assuming that's supposed to be Rey's parents leaving, she's old enough to know who her parents are.

That's why of all the stupid theories circling, Rey's parentage is one of the goofier. Unlike the Skywalker twins, Rey actually knew her parents long enough to know what their faces look like, and probably who they actually are.

Not necessarily.  It's not uncommon for young children to only know their parents as "Mama and Papa".  It's hard to say exactly how old that child is, as we see her for all of 2.5 seconds.  She could be 3-6, based on my personal experience with varying children size at various ages.  I know my 4 year old god daughter, isn't all that focused on things like "details".  She lives in a fantasy world that has very little connection to the real world.   Couple that, with a traumatic abandonment and isolation from everything she ever knew before, and then add on another 15+ years of hand to mouth existence, I could easily see her not remembering specific details about her parents.   Memories fade with time, very effectively actually.  I have trouble remembering the faces and voices of people I knew only a few years ago, don't even ask me to tell you about the people I knew when I was only 5 years old.   

So yeah, I can totally buy that she has no real, functional memory of her previous life, or what her family looks like.  

Not necessarily.  It's not uncommon for young children to only know their parents as "Mama and Papa".  It's hard to say exactly how old that child is, as we see her for all of 2.5 seconds.  She could be 3-6, based on my personal experience with varying children size at various ages.  I know my 4 year old god daughter, isn't all that focused on things like "details".  She lives in a fantasy world that has very little connection to the real world.   Couple that, with a traumatic abandonment and isolation from everything she ever knew before, and then add on another 15+ years of hand to mouth existence, I could easily see her not remembering specific details about her parents.   Memories fade with time, very effectively actually.  I have trouble remembering the faces and voices of people I knew only a few years ago, don't even ask me to tell you about the people I knew when I was only 5 years old.   

So yeah, I can totally buy that she has no real, functional memory of her previous life, or what her family looks like.  

I can agree it's possible she doesn't know WHO they are, but the what they look like thing.. she probably knows, or at least has a decent enough memory to nix characters like Han, Leia, Admiral Akbar, Poe, Finn, Chewie and anyone else she shared a scene with for any length of time. I mean she might not recognize them immediately, but I can remember the face of my 1st grade teacher well enough, and I didn't spend anywhere near the time with her I spent with my parents by that point.

As loathe as I am to say it, I'm slowly leaning more toward Daddy Luke... I just hate it. It's too easy, too obvious, too derivative... But it does work for the final scene. I mean the look on her face covers all the requisite emotional ground, and the look on his is certainly one of "You're here? What? Why? Oh... ummmm... about that...Look it was totally for your own good..."

It's just too easy, and it settles that pretty much in scene 1 of IIX... so it feels.... wrong. It's like I'm being set up.

I can agree it's possible she doesn't know WHO they are, but the what they look like thing.. she probably knows, or at least has a decent enough memory to nix characters like Han, Leia, Admiral Akbar, Poe, Finn, Chewie and anyone else she shared a scene with for any length of time. I mean she might not recognize them immediately, but I can remember the face of my 1st grade teacher well enough, and I didn't spend anywhere near the time with her I spent with my parents by that point.

You might be able to remember the face of your first grade teacher, but I can't.  And that's my point.  Memory isn't the same for everyone.  Heck it's not even the same for one person as time goes on.  We rewrite and edit our own memories all the time. They've done studies of this.  Memory is a terrible resource for accurate information.   If Rey is like me, and she stopped having any memories of her family at 5-6, she wouldn't remember them at all.  I can't recall what my parents looked like when I was 6.  I can recall what they look like now, because I saw them a few months ago. But to try and mentally rewind their features 34 years?  Yeah, not happening for me.  So they would be these nebulous figures, without any distinctive features at all.   In fact, the only distinct memory I have of my parents at that age, was curling up with my dad on the couch, and him petting my hair and head.  I remember the rough texture of his fingers, and the smell of nicotine worked into his fingers from his smoking habit.  That's about it.  Did he have facial hair then?  Don't recall.  How thin was he?  Can't remember.  

So yeah, I still don't have any issue with the idea that she wouldn't know who her parents were, either by name, or appearance. 

However I will grant you, that I would probably recognize my dad, after 15 years, even if the last time I saw him was at 6 years old.   So the end shot of them on the island would probably be different.  But that's assuming that Luke was actually part of her life.  He might've distanced himself from the mother and child, to not show favoritism to her as a student.   Or maybe Luke was only told later that she was his child, when she shows up at the school with a 3  year old and says "You're the daddy!  She can move stuff with her mind, train her before she totally wrecks my kitchen!"  And then he only had the teacher/student relationship with her.    Or it could be a bit of bad editing and forethought on the part of the developers, like the whole "Chewie walking past Leia after Han died" thing, which JJ has admitted to being a big mistake on his part.    It's all speculation either way, but I still stand by the fact that her memory could be absolutely zero about her previous life, other than vague concepts of "family", and what that means for her, without it actually having any grounding in details like appearance, names and such. 

Edited by KungFuFerret

I find it interesting that nobody has pointed out that she may very well be Poe Dameron's long lost sister.  In the Shattered Empire comics, Kes Dameron and Shara Bey have already had their son Poe, who they raise on Yavin underneath a Force tree (that Shara Bey recovered from an Imperial Star Destroyer alongside Luke Skywalker).  This explains, at least, Poe's preternatural flying talent.  But if you look at a picture of Shara Bey, she looks an awful lot like Daisy Ridley.  This is entirely speculation and abstraction, but a child who gestated under a Force tree and was born under a Force tree could very well be extremely powerful in the Force.  I don't recall Poe and Rey ever sharing a scene together, but I'll have to watch the movie again.  And the idea that she could be Poe's sister is supported by their mutual appreciation of flying, which was also something Shara Bey was good at.  Shara Bey and Kes Dameron were both Rebels during the Civil War, giving Rey plenty of love for those stories, along with some first-hand accounts of heroic bravery.  Luke is too modest to describe himself as a hero, especially after we watched him grow up through RotJ, and Leia is similar in mindset.

Anyway,it would remain consistent with the assertion that Rey's parents are not in the movie.

Also, not to hate too much on the Cienna Ree theory (because I love it), I'm pretty sure Cienna Ree is black.  Or at least described as having dark skin... if I remember correctly.  Not that genetics seem to have had much effect on Ben, but that might put a little damper on that theory.