Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Why are They Fixing the Tie Defender and Not the T-65?

Funny thing is, they did try to fix the T-65: That's what the Integrated Astromech was meant to be. Alas, they were off by a point - had it discounted the astromech by 1pt in addition to its usual benefits, you'd be seeing T-65s all over the place where someone wanted a solid bit of gunnery as filler.

You really think that 1pt would make a serious difference to generic X-wings? By that reasoning, the X-wing is overcosted by <5% (against whatever we consider the baseline to be). I would argue that in a game with this level of granularity, <5% is so small as to be unnoticeable.

Can someone confirm that Vessery with the Tie\D title and a Tractor beam, targeting a ship with a red target lock in it could do the below:

Fire tractor beam, gaining a target lock and instantly spend the target lock to reroll the Tractor Beam

Fire primary weapon, gaining a target lock and instantly spending the target lock to reroll his primary attack if needed?

Unless they change the rules or somehow FAQ it, yes, you can.

Can someone confirm that Vessery with the Tie\D title and a Tractor beam, targeting a ship with a red target lock in it could do the below:

Fire tractor beam, gaining a target lock and instantly spend the target lock to reroll the Tractor Beam

Fire primary weapon, gaining a target lock and instantly spending the target lock to reroll his primary attack if needed?

Yeah that's how his ability works, on top you've got focus token usually so it's very hard to avoid that tractor beam.

You understand that ListJuggler is not a comprehensive information database. 

Only by virtue of people not contributing to it - and as it does include all regionals and world tournaments it's the best record we have of what's being used and why.

FTFY

Yeah that's how his ability works, on top you've got focus token usually so it's very hard to avoid that tractor beam.

Daaaaaaaang. Nice.

The Defender is NOT a solid ship. Why is that such a predominating opinion on this forum?

Because new and/or casual players don't have enough experience to fully understand what is strong and what isn't. It takes some people longer to figure out how to optimize lists and what to do for greater efficiency. And this is not a shot at the OP, there is a large portion of the player base that simply hasn't experienced consistent play against strong competition.

You really think that 1pt would make a serious difference to generic X-wings? By that reasoning, the X-wing is overcosted by <5% (against whatever we consider the baseline to be). I would argue that in a game with this level of granularity, <5% is so small as to be unnoticeable.        

It's more subtle than that. A flat 1-point discount (assuming no prerequisites) would allow 5 rookies in a squad rather than 4. That's a big jump in capability and the very reason they were originally costed at 21 points.

It's the same reason the Mandolorian Merc got an elite talent and a PS boost - taking it to 35 points meant (unlike the Imperial Bounty Hunter) you can't take 3 in a squad.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Also, Imperial Veterans was announced the day after the forums had a collective fit over the ghost pilot's releases saying that the new Ghost upgrades broke the Rebels, made them too good, destroyed any hope of imperials every having a fair fight and how could they release the Ghost and only the TAP, which they all said was terrible, for the imperials.

Now as things have passed, we see that the Ghost has... yet to change everything, but the Inquisitor is doing great.

Funny thing is, they did try to fix the T-65: That's what the Integrated Astromech was meant to be. Alas, they were off by a point - had it discounted the astromech by 1pt in addition to its usual benefits, you'd be seeing T-65s all over the place where someone wanted a solid bit of gunnery as filler.

Actually, they said it was part of the fix.  They said the title slot is still open.  Fully expect to see it come out eventually.  They learned to not be too ham fisted with things.

Also, Imperial Veterans was announced the day after the forums had a collective fit over the ghost pilot's releases saying that the new Ghost upgrades broke the Rebels, made them too good, destroyed any hope of imperials every having a fair fight and how could they release the Ghost and only the TAP, which they all said was terrible, for the imperials.

Now as things have passed, we see that the Ghost has... yet to change everything, but the Inquisitor is doing great.

Umm, you do understand that one hissy fit had nothing to do with the announcement. We actually got the retailer pre-order sheet before they posted the article. That is why it was posted. 

I had never thought of re-flipping a crit faceup with Rexler... That's awesome (and could be ridiculously hurtful with major explosion)!

Or Blinded Pilot.

I know someone who just kept re-flipping blinded pilot (inflicted by a Proton Bomb no less) on RAC. It was brutal. Full shields and all... Edited by StarWarsDad1138

Actually, they said it was part of the fix.  They said the title slot is still open.  Fully expect to see it come out eventually.  They learned to not be too ham fisted with things.

Rest assured, they'd have been thrilled if IA was the entire fix. As it is, it wasn't - and that's OK, because they rigged it so that the title slot was still open. It's an interesting move - I guess they weren't entirely certain that it'd be enough, but wanted to wait and see first.

Because overpowering a ship is a big problem too, after all. :)

I had never thought of re-flipping a crit faceup with Rexler... That's awesome (and could be ridiculously hurtful with major explosion)!

Or Blinded Pilot.
I know someone who just kept re-flipping blinded pilot (inflicted by a Proton Bomb no less) on RAC. It was brutal. Full shields and all...

With Colzet hopefully? Otherwise that person got cheated.

The defender generics was pretty bad even when released but worked as a decent hlc jouster, The elite pilots had abilities that required some setup and was very expensive.

The T-65 while the generics and some older pilots aren't nearly good enough anymore there exist so many good pilots for the ships that they can still work. I went 7-0 in my latest tournament with a list that included wedge and wes and they put my regen poe to shame with their dmg and ordnance denial abilities.

I think the T-65 is just fine after IA, it's not great but not bad either. Some pilots should have ept like garven dreis and maybe the ship is overcosted by 1 point.

The tie defender generics are both overcosted and have to low pilots skill. The elite ones aren't good enough for their prize when compared to pilots like soontir or vader.

That's why the defender gets a "fix" and the T-65 don't.

TIE defender is the #1 hardest ship to run in a competitive list right now for imperials. Theyre 3-4x as expensive as a TIE Fighter, only have 3 shields to make them more durable, only considered more maneuverable because of a white 4K turn, and 3 dice base attack isnt amazing. For the longest time i considered it complete garbage and unusable because of this. He costs about half your list, rivaling large ships if not costing more in some cases and doing way less.

They need it.

I think people underestimate the one bank. Something not a lot of TIEs have. 

the big thing was almost all their turns were red and their only greens were the straights so they had basically zero ability to fight in close quarters. the MK2 mod helped a good bit with this but it was still another point on an already extremely expensive ship and didn't help at all with offence or survivibility.

I think people underestimate the one bank. Something not a lot of TIEs have.

The TAP has it, and they are green along with 1 hard turns...I love that ship so much because of that.

The TAP has the Dial the Scyk needs. If it had a a pair of hard turns that were green then giving it PTL like the interceptors would be good.

Maybe a Light Scyk Interceptor 1 point give it speed 1 maneuvers green and the boost action then it could take autothrusters.

Edited by Marinealver