Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRunes

Create Monstrosity spell

Are there any restrictions on this spell that I'm missing besides the 100-200 dp that the GM decides on? Can the Monstrosity cast spells as long as the caster knows them? Does it come with zeon right from the start if so? This seems like a crazy powerful spell even better than create being just for the versatility of it.

No restrictions other than gnosis (20)

The drawback is the maintenence and the difference in gnosis.

Create monstrosity-- 8 per round (3 seconds) gnosis 20

Create being-- 50 per day (24 hours) gnosis 25

To break it down, Monstrosity is costing you 86400 points of zeon/day vs 50, and can't learn abilities as powerful as create being.

Normally this is the point where I'd jump in to answer a few questions with official posts from Anima Studios but... last I checked the search on cipher was broken and I'm at work so I'm not gonna risk where it might take me.

Suffice it to say, if my memory is correct, that I remember something about magically-created beings starting with empty zeon pools, just to avoid creation wizards from never running out of Zeon. Also, the creature would have its own spell list and would need The Gift, but presumably one couldn't create a creature with knowledge the caster doesn't have... so that sort of limits things (depending on how the GM works what constitutes "knowledge" of a spell).

Honestly though, Create Monstrosity is, as Silken points out, never anywhere near as good as the spell 20 level higher than it (well, 26, but who's counting?) except in special circumstances. It's costly to maintain, it has lower effects levels, and the only real benefit would be for monsters you were literally creating for only a handful of turns and then letting evaporate. The maintained Create Being costs less in the long run, but it's also a creature following you around so... there's that.

I wish I had more proof than my memory and my personal reasoning, but until the search function is fixed I just don't want to waste my time getting redirected to nothing. Hope this helps. ^_^

Free access lvl 80-90 spell Natural Spell + Create Monstrosity. Wouldn't this just get rid of the cost issues and give your monstrosity plenty of time to regen his zeon thus creating a regenerating mana battery for the caster.

Free access lvl 80-90 spell Natural Spell + Create Monstrosity. Wouldn't this just get rid of the cost issues and give your monstrosity plenty of time to regen his zeon thus creating a regenerating mana battery for the caster.

Ehhhh... no.

Natural Spell is great for getting rid of the casting cost, but it doesn't change the maintenance costs. Even if we did run with a rule change that zeroed maintenance costs, it's really not much better than just using Create Being instead of Monstrosity, especially since you could just use Natural Spell + Create Being instead. So... no.

Ehhhh... no.

Natural Spell is great for getting rid of the casting cost, but it doesn't change the maintenance costs. Even if we did run with a rule change that zeroed maintenance costs, it's really not much better than just using Create Being instead of Monstrosity, especially since you could just use Natural Spell + Create Being instead. So... no.

The reason I think this is becuase Natural Spell states " In this way, the spellcaster can perform one of these spells innately per turn." Then under the Innate Magic section on page 111 it states "If the Innate spell has maintenance, the spell caster will be able to keep it active without spending magic points". If natural magic doesn't intend to make the spell use innate magic rules it's easy to see why one could get confused when it uses the word innate in its description.

True enough. Wording in Anima is often ambiguous, but the operative word in the sentence is "perform" in this case. And, like I said, you can always rule it to make it maintain too. ^-^ Such is the beauty of Anima.