Sign in to follow this  
Jturn314

So, about the Squadron Benchmark site....

It's pretty freaking awesome. Do recommend.

That is all.

https://xws-bench.github.io/bench/#

Yup.

I find it great for trying out various squads against the AI (often more A than I).

You will find the occasional glitch where it might skip some ones firing turn or other odd things but for a browser based freebie it is pretty fine.

Phones are going to be a bit small for it and tablets not that much better (stylus may be required).

Don't spend too much time playing on it at work.

Edited by Darkheart

Most stuff is easy to figure out but I didn't see how to use Kallus or Intelligence Agent. Most complaints are fairly minor, like it not letting you change settings once in a game, I forget to set player 2 to computer sometimes and it makes you go back and start over to fix it.

Nice to test new lists as it lets you change dice results that you don't like, which is nice if you know you already died but still want to test more things out without starting the game over.

This is awesome. The UI is quick and intuitive, I opened it up for literally three minutes and was able to choose a squad, set up and play two rounds right off the bat. 

Compared to Vassal, where my first two hours consisted of installing software & watching tutorial videos, and then scratching my head as I tried to arrange the various windows and pieces before actually setting up a squad, this... it is in a completely different league. At least in terms of UI and ease of use.

And there's an AI, too!

Great joy and happiness.

So...Built a squadron, selected "Human" for myself along with 3 asteroids.

Selected the OL/Captain Yorr/Whisper build for player two as "Computer" with 3 asteroids.

Cannot get the "Next" icon to turn red. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Never mind. Helps to read the instructions.  <_<

Edited by Scopes

Are we supposed to roll the dice and select what happens? I didnt get that bit, I found I could change the dice to wht ever I wanted, so I thought maybe I was supposed to roll at home? Or am I an idiot?

The ability to modify the dice as much as you want is to help you in case there is a glitch with a card ability. The dice results are already rolled. The modifications should show up underneath the dice.

the AI has gotten better in the beginning every single y wing would just fly off of the board as soon as possible.  now you have to deal with the phantom deploying from the ghost first turn. but i find it is a great tool to say what would happen if i put kallus on the firespray with boba and a defender. or can i run a shuttle a firespray and the decimator in one list?

So...Built a squadron, selected "Human" for myself along with 3 asteroids.

Selected the OL/Captain Yorr/Whisper build for player two as "Computer" with 3 asteroids.

Cannot get the "Next" icon to turn red. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Never mind. Helps to read the instructions.  <_<

are you putting palp on the yorr mobile? if you are remove palp as that function does not work and just remember the comp has palp and use him when it would most benifit the comp and most hurt you. that is what i do. to use him you can modify a die result by just clicking on it to change it.

Most stuff is easy to figure out but I didn't see how to use Kallus or Intelligence Agent. Most complaints are fairly minor, like it not letting you change settings once in a game, I forget to set player 2 to computer sometimes and it makes you go back and start over to fix it.

Nice to test new lists as it lets you change dice results that you don't like, which is nice if you know you already died but still want to test more things out without starting the game over.

kallus should make the player two ships blink like when you choose one to attack before anyone moves. from then on kallus will change all die to hits or evades which is buggy and why you can change the die back to the one eyeball change that he allows. Intel Agent just shows all of the moves not just the one for the ship you select.

The AI is pretty dreadful if you pack it with upgrades. If you are looking for at least SOMEWHAT of a challenge, I'd make sure the AI is using ships with little to no upgrades so it can manage it easily. I gave it Uboats to play with and I don't think it fired off a single torp lol.

I played it 5 or 6 times on Chrome.

Then one time I loaded it, it seemed to mis-load...  It generates all of Player-1s forces above the top-left corner of the map, all on top of each other, and doens't generate player 2s forces at all...

It has to be a problem with Chrome, because when I load it up on Edge, it works fine...

Has anyone figured out how to pass stress with 4-LOM (pilot)?  It also seems to auto-use Captain Yorr and I can't figure out if Electronic Baffles works, and if it does whether you are allowed to choose whether or not to use it.  

It is a great site for practicing maneuvers, but I don't think it is quite as useful for combat, particularly with more complicated upgrades.

Edit: It probably is great with two humans, but the AI is maybe not the smartest.

Edited by AEIllingworth

As others have stated, AI isn't all the way there yet. I've played two games against the winning list from the Atlanta Regional, and Omega Leader has yet to target lock a single ship. There are also some issues with a handful of upgrades and at least Tomax Bren's pilot ability.

That being said, this is way faster to use than Vassal, you aren't strictly dependent on having a second person around and ready to play, and you get to put together lists to test their cohesion in a relatively short amount of time. A solid tool for sure, and one I plan on spending a lot of time with.