Sign in to follow this  
ChrisLS2

Order of effects for Jundland Terror

I was wondering about this when I played Jundland Terror: does the order of the effects matter? I know that when you get MPs outside of an activation they must be immediately used or lost, but the second part, which is joined by an "and" instead of a "then", calls for an interrupt to attack or perform a special action. So does that mean they are both gained at the same time and can be used in either order?

I think the word interrupt here is the key. Looking on similar cards that cause out of activation attacks, every card that has the word "interrupt" in them are used during another figure's activation, with the exception of "Set a Trap" (probably to make sure that once End of Round is triggered, if another End of Round effect is present that would move a figure off the tile, Set A Trap would be able to interrupt that). 

Jundland Terror:

Use at the end of a round and choose a "Tusken Raider" or "Bantha Rider" figure. The chosen figure gains 2 movement points and may interrupt to perform an attack or ╔►.

For me, this has never been and issue because I have always used this with a Bantha, moved first for Stampede, and then Trample. If the bantha ends its movement in the same space as another figure, it may not move any more during that activation. (Using Jundland Terror counts as a mini-activation for this purpose, so you could not use it to move 1 space, stop, Stampede (or push friendly figures), move another space, stop, Stampede (or push friendly figures), then Trample. 

That said, with interrupt in the text, it would lead me to believe that you could move 1, attack or ╔►, then move 1 more. Or perform the attack or ╔►, then move up to 2.

That's what my gut says anyway.

The only thing that speaks for that a mini-activation is happening is the possibility to perform a special action. But being a mini-activation would fix the Massive movement rule. (If no activation is happening, Massive could continue spending movement points after ending movement on top of figures. But that's by RAW. Spending movement points outside of anyone's activation is something that maybe not have been thought through.)

But that also does not mean that the movement points are received inside that mini-activation. I would think that the movement points are received as interrupt because it's not anyone's activation, and thus need to be spent immediately. Then, the figure may interrupt to perform an attack (not becoming a mini-activation), or special action (perhaps becoming a miniactivation).

(There are plenty of abilities that interrupt without using the word interrupt, so the word interrupt should not be a deciding factor.)

Edited by a1bert

It's an interesting circumstance that I can see both ways, but as I am going with my gut and precedent set by other command cards that use the term interrupt and allow actions, I was careful to word my response as conjecture and opinion with supporting arguments, rather than to issue a hard ruling. (See also: Ferocity, which allows an attack, but does not state "interrupt").

If "interrupt" were not there and it simply said "gains 2 movement points, and may perform and attack or ╔►." the meaning would be quite clear in that the movement point would need to be spent first.

Also note that it has been ruled that there is a difference between "this figure's activation", and "activation" (See: Diala's Precise Strike).

Clarification might be an order in this case. If I were in charge (I am not), I would go with my gut.

Edited by Fizz

Sounds like this one could do with an email to the devs.

I think I agree that the word interrupt here, refers to interrupting the spending of the 2 movement points.
The card is played outside any activation (end of round) so it's not interrupting anything else except it's own movement.  

So yes I think you can attack/action then move 2 or move 1, attack then move 1. 

I played a game last night where this came up:  I wanted to Trample first and then move to Stampede and finish off a figure depending on how much I rolled with the Trample.  We allowed the trample then move but I was wondering if we played right.  Curious on the response from FFG.

I say you can move or attack in either order but once you move you must spend all MP. You can't spend 1mp then attack then spend 1mp. Whenever mp are gained outside of an activation they must all be spent immediately or lost. The undefined terminology of "mini-activation" will make things more confusing.