Sign in to follow this  
chriscook

Why not just hide in Mon Cal system

As a reb it seems to me that the best option is to hide in the Mon Cal system.  It seems that that is the farthest from all the starting systems that the empire can start in.  Why would I ever choose one of the middle systems on the board to hide my base in.  I would just have to run by round 2 with the planets that the empire starts in.  I have played 3 games now as rebs and won 1.

Mon Cal is a big target for the imperials, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the first things on the agenda is using the super laser on it.

Moving planets isn't a full proof plan either. You have limited options (Max 8 probe cards I think), and some of those might not be available if they are already occupied by the empire.

You're probably limiting your options by starting there. That's all I'm saying.

Having played a few games, starting close to the Empire's capital is extremely satisfying when my opponent throws all their resources to the four corners of the board. :D  I haven't paid for that decision yet,but I'm sure I am in for a surprise.

As a reb it seems to me that the best option is to hide in the Mon Cal system.  It seems that that is the farthest from all the starting systems that the empire can start in.  Why would I ever choose one of the middle systems on the board to hide my base in.  I would just have to run by round 2 with the planets that the empire starts in.  I have played 3 games now as rebs and won 1.

One of the Imperial starting systems can be Salecumi. Which is directly next to Mon Cala. So not sure why you think Mon Cala is automatically so far away from the Empire.

^What he said. Your premise is flawed.

There are only 5  4 planets which are 2 jumps from a starting Imperial system: Yavin, Nal Hutta, Ryloth, Utapau, and Endor. There can be more depending on what the Empire draws as their start, but I mean you get to know where their units and stuff are before you have to pick your base anyway.

Edit: Went and checked the map, and it turns out Yavin shouldn't be on that list either.

Edited by Tract

I've played only as Rebels , because my friend always chooses Imperials in our various Star Wars games, but if I did play Impies in this game my first priority would be subduing Mon Cal for the simple fact that it's one of the safest ways for Rebels to produce those beautiful Mon Cal cruisers.

I'll add to the opinions here: when I play the Imps, Mon Calamari is a system that I like to get a grip on quickly because I can deprive the Rebel player of a Mon Calamari cruiser and give myself an additional Star Destroyer. And if I can't have it for myself, I have no problem destroying it so the Rebel player can't have it either.

I won a rebel game by camping in Mon Calamari, its a valid strategy.  There are other things that I did like crippling Star Destroyer production, delaying/harassing his fleets on that side of the board and getting all of those systems in that region loyal to me.  I don't think its the only strategy, but it can be an effective one.

That being said, if the Imperial player came at me a turn earlier, things would not have gone so well.  I am also thinking it would be good to bluff MC next time, worst case you get a bunch of cruisers.

I also won an Imperial game in which one of the first things I did was subjugate Mon Cala with a Death Star.

Keeping the Rebels from ever building a Cruiser is big on the Imperial to-do list.  This makes Mon Cal a huge target.  When I play the Empire, I pretty much bee-line my Death Star to that system.

The other system I want to take out (or control) as the Empire is Genosis.  The Rebels would very much like to build Ion Canons and Shield generators.  That is the only planet that the Rebels can acquire early.

I personally like to put the Rebel base on a system with no resources.  They are not as tempting for the empire to invade, as they gain nothing from it.

Personal favorite is rhyloth at the moment. Fairly far away and had the dead space blocking access to one side

In.my game, I decided to draw a system randomly and got Ryloth. I liked it for exactly the same reason. Then I started building defenses on the system right in front of it (forget which one offhand)

Personal favorite is rhyloth at the moment. Fairly far away and had the dead space blocking access to one side

In.my game, I decided to draw a system randomly and got Ryloth. I liked it for exactly the same reason. Then I started building defenses on the system right in front of it (forget which one offhand)

It's an obvious pick, but one that is easier to defend and will take time for the Empire to reach.  You can also pull the bait and switch.  Draw their forces then run right before they get there and relocate. 

It's an obvious pick, but one that is easier to defend and will take time for the Empire to reach. You can also pull the bait and switch. Draw their forces then run right before they get there and relocate.

For a while, I had him convinced that the defended system in front of it was my base.

Edited by KoalaXav

Non-populous systems are good as the Imps will generally overlook them early on.  They need to be squashing the rebels and expanding their influence...so they don't have the forces or actions to spare trying to search random worthless systems.

High grade building systems seem like a good idea.  Having your base defended doubly by having units on the system and on the base seems great.  Also, securing a strong production system early on can be powerful.  But this is also a draw for the Empire.  The same systems that are valuable for the Rebels are valuable for the Empire, but also important to shut down your production.  I find these systems make great lures.  You can make them look like your base, and even if they know better, a large production facility with a large military force can't be ignored...so you can drag the Empire away from your base using these.

Low grade building systems are a good idea.  You get some of the benefits of the high grade system, but without the major attractiveness of the high grade production system.  The problem with these is that most of them are in the middle of the map making it likely the Imps will pass through just because they can and it's convenient.

Ryloth is basically the perfect base location.  It's distant making it almost like a non-populous system.  It has it's own production, but it's low grade, so not a major threat or heavily desired by the Empire.  On top of all that, it's easily defendable with a wall on one side, and Geonosis being a high grade system to use as a wall.  The only problem is that it becomes pretty predictable if you play against the same person often.  Of course, that can be used as a weapon also.  Set the base up there twice in a row, then the third time swing to the other side of the map, but still set it up like you are in Ryloth.

Keeping the Rebels from ever building a Cruiser is big on the Imperial to-do list.  This makes Mon Cal a huge target.  When I play the Empire, I pretty much bee-line my Death Star to that system.

The other system I want to take out (or control) as the Empire is Genosis.  The Rebels would very much like to build Ion Canons and Shield generators.  That is the only planet that the Rebels can acquire early.

I personally like to put the Rebel base on a system with no resources.  They are not as tempting for the empire to invade, as they gain nothing from it.

It's a planet full of bugs. You have to nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

It's a planet full of bugs. You have to nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

022310_trap_1.jpg

Utapau and Mon Calamari are popular candidates for Display of Power/ trade negotiations.

I had my base found on round 1 because of DoP.

I quite like Kessel and Nal Hutta for populous candidates

Ryloth is good but a smart imperial knows that too.

Just won a game by placing my base on the wookie home world Kashyykk (however you spell it).

Empire never knew it was under it's nose the whole time. Experienced imperial players might steer clear due to Wookie uprising card as well :D

Just won a game by placing my base on the wookie home world Kashyykk (however you spell it).

Empire never knew it was under it's nose the whole time. Experienced imperial players might steer clear due to Wookie uprising card as well :D

I would just get too nervous about that place as a Rebel Base locale. It's so close to the Imperial starting points, and I like to use Uprising as a way to spring an attack behind Imperial lines. It just makes the Empire either ignore the planet for Sunjugation purposes, or invest a ton of Ground Troops to keep it safe, but either way I'm dropping a small garrison (one Stormtrooper should do) down to inspect it if I'm Imperial. Edited by coastcityo

I would just get too nervous about that place as a Rebel Base locale. It's so close to the Imperial starting points, and I like to use Uprising as a way to spring an attack behind Imperial lines. It just makes the Empire either ignore the planet for Sunjugation purposes, or invest a ton of Ground Troops to keep it safe, but either way I'm dropping a small garrison (one Stormtrooper should do) down to inspect it if I'm Imperial.

Also heard Kashyyyk is a popular destination for trigger-happy Imperials to play their first game of Rock-Paper-Death Star. (Death Star beats rock and paper)