Sign in to follow this  
boow

Bounty (idea for upgrade card)

I'm sure other have come up with the idea, but I was thinking of what a bounty card might look like, and wondering what it would be worth point wise.

The question is pretty simple. If FFG was to come up with a "bounty" type card for the Scum faction, which would allow you to choose an opponent's ship and get double points or some such, what would it be cost to keep the game balanced?

Obviously if the benefit was double points for taking out a bounty, the upgrade itself could not be cheap, otherwise it would be an auto-add.

So, what would the balance be? 10 points? 15 points? 20 points?

Would it be worthwhile to add a 20 point upgrade to Boba Fett or Dengar pilot, to allow them to name an opposing ship as their bounty and try to destroy that target? If it's that expensive, you'd be losing out on firepower itself on your own squad.

So, what do folks the think the right balance is? Would the card have other conditions to it? As in, a scum pilot could only name a Unique pilot as a bounty, which would make the upgrade not always useful every game. 

Just curious what people think of the idea. Obviously it could be done and probably has been done in some of the scenarios, but just thought it would be a neat idea for a competitive upgrade card, and how to balance it...

So far the only Bounty Hunters from Episode V we don't have as a <crew> upgrade card is IG-88 and Jodo Kast.

Now of course with IG-88 it could be hard to make that a crew card especially when he has 4 diffrent pilot cards. Maybe A as a crew? I mean it is not like you are taking 2 brobots with a HWK now. Hmmm...

IG-88

Scum only

If you have an Aggressor on the table you may treat that pilot ability as your own.

<Crew> (4 points)

However it doesn't work both ways so no Bosk for crit to 2 hits for IG-88 B.

Something to consider for Scum Aces.

Edited by Marinealver

So far the only Bounty Hunters from Episode V we don't have as a <crew> upgrade card is IG-88 and Jodo Kast.

Now of course with IG-88 it could be hard to make that a crew card especially when he has 4 diffrent pilot cards. Maybe A as a crew? I mean it is not like you are taking 2 brobots with a HWK now. Hmmm...

IG-88

Scum only

If you have an Aggressor on the table you may treat that pilot ability as your own.

<Crew> (4 points)

Scum Aces will be two ships from Scyks, Kithraxzes, and starvipers.

None of these have crew. :(

To the question: Make it less to do with points, and perhaps give a different incentive - perhaps a 'usable by everyone' target lock type effect? Assign a bounty at the start of combat (as an illicit, obviously!), and then people shooting that ship get a bonus.

Or perhaps a free shield for killing it? :D

Well, we essentially have a card which does just that in the Imperial arsenal already - Agent Kallus. For two points, it's essentially unlimited mini-focus against a target of your choice.

Based on FFG not liking to duplicate abilities, I'd say either mini rerolls (reroll one die when attacking or defending) or one extra die (at a much higher cost).

My brain says the latter, if only because 'bounty warrant' or whatever should probably be an illicit, and it should, above all else, match with Boba Fett's ability, because if anyone can use the card, he should be able to.

One extra attack die situationally (expose/opportunist) tends to come in at around 4 points. One extra defence die situationally (stealth device/countermeasures) comes in at around 3. So - with no scientific backing - making it a 7 point illicit upgrade seems sensible.

I'd probably want to nail a fairly strong PS restriction (6+) to it, because only the bounty hunters or similar aces should have access to it. It should, fairly obviously, be unique.

"At the start of the game, pick one enemy ship and assign it your Bounty token.  Each time you hit that ship with an attack, it receives one ion token."

Illicit.  Non-unique, but unique pilots only, can't be taken by generics.  Some points.  Probably a lot.

Yeah.

(Gimme that ion TLT)

Edited by thespaceinvader

One other thought; you could try and adapt the Preystalker scenario - the bounty in that was specifically better than normal as the rebel player got a load of free elite pilot talents - maybe you could voluntarily make the 'prey' more dangerous in return for you becoming more dangerous too?

Actually, that's an interesting elite pilot talent. It needn't be scum-specific - call it something like "Rivalry" - making your ship more dangerous against a selected foe at the cost of making them more dangerous against you.

When it comes to Bounties I think Agent Kallus is probably the way to go.

If you want a crazy idea how about having a crew upgrade that cost Y which allows you to declare a ship on the other side as a target that is worth 2Y additional points if destroyed while the upgrade remains in play?  In other words you get a ship that is now worth more to make an enemy ship worth a LOT more but only if you can keep that ship in play.  After all, a bounty doesn't mean much if there's no one around to pay it.

IG-88

Scum only

<Crew> (4 points)

Jodo Kast wasn't in ESB. 

But he's still awesome and deserves his place in X-Wing. ;)