Sign in to follow this  
Goseki1

Moving through a larger based ship you are touching with a straight 2

During a match last week I had rammed someone head on with Oiccun so the fronts of our bases were perfectly parallel.

He was flying a large based ship and had chose a straight 2 as his maneuver. He argued that as the template is the same length as a ship base and we were touching it should move him exactly to the opposite side of my base. Is this correct? I let him do it as I wasn't too bothered either way and I could see how he might be right, but grateful to know of this is correct or not.

Edited by Goseki1

The nubs on the front and back of the ships will cause issues unless you are not just perfectly parallel but also offset enough that your bases only overlap for a bit of their width.

If you are parallel and touching a large base ship, you need to do a move that's longer than a two straight to clear.  

Cool,cheers fellows. Not something that'll come up often bit good to know in future

It may not be something that comes up too often but it is a frequently asked question especially when you consider small ships and speed 1 straights as well.

The assumption that small bases are the same length as a 1 straight and large bases are the same length as a 2 straight is wrong.

If he had bothered measuring he would have found that the maneuver templates are actually shorter that the bases. So even if the nubs are not between the 2 ships he would not clear the ship he was touching.

Actually, there are very few instances that a 2 straight through a large base (or a 1 straight for small bases) will not overlap the ship you are moving through.

The ships have not only to be parallel but also they must only be touching only with the parts that extend from the nub to the corner. So when only their corners touch and there is no gap created between the two bases because of the nubs.

Then the respective maneuvers will clear the base you are moving through.

It's a very rare situation and in all my games I thing I ve only seen it happen once or twice.

Also correct me if I am wrong but the nubs are part of the ship base for all distance checking purposes and not just for overlapping. You could even fire at a ship if the nubs are at range 3 although the main parts of the bases are not.

Also correct me if I am wrong but the nubs are part of the ship base for all distance checking purposes and not just for overlapping. You could even fire at a ship if the nubs are at range 3 although the main parts of the bases are not.

Nope.  The rules say the nubs only count for maneuvers/overlap.  They don't count for checking range.

those pesky nubs, appear now to show a poor design when game play is considered as they add more unnecessary exceptions .. if the bases were indented and the movement templates lengthened, those exceptions concerning nubs would not occur.

Nope.  The rules say the nubs only count for maneuvers/overlap.  They don't count for checking range.

Cheers, I always need a refreshing of the rules. They don't count for mine overlapping either, ship side that is, because the ones on the mines do.

Lol, see my post above.

those pesky nubs, appear now to show a poor design when game play is considered as they add more unnecessary exceptions .. if the bases were indented and the movement templates lengthened, those exceptions concerning nubs would not occur.

I always thought this would be a better design, but since there are other things you use the template for, it would make barrel rolling inconsistent from maneuvering.

Actually, there are very few instances that a 2 straight through a large base (or a 1 straight for small bases) will not overlap the ship you are moving through.

The ships have not only to be parallel but also they must only be touching only with the parts that extend from the nub to the corner. So when only their corners touch and there is no gap created between the two bases because of the nubs.

Then the respective maneuvers will clear the base you are moving through.

It's a very rare situation and in all my games I thing I ve only seen it happen once or twice.

Actually, if you check a template against a base, you should find the template to be a couple of millimeters shorter than the base. I know my cardboard and my acrylic templates are. So there should be absolutely no instances of moving through a large ship with a 2 straight, because the template isn't the same as the base.

Actually, if you check a template against a base, you should find the template to be a couple of millimeters shorter than the base. I know my cardboard and my acrylic templates are. So there should be absolutely no instances of moving through a large ship with a 2 straight, because the template isn't the same as the base.

This is where you start running into those "small" variation issues.  Have a base that is on the small side and a template that is on the long side and you may be able to make it work even if the average would cause interference.

I believe Briggs & Stratton engines were once assembled in such a way that the variance would at times prevent certain parts from fitting together.

This is where you start running into those "small" variation issues.  Have a base that is on the small side and a template that is on the long side and you may be able to make it work even if the average would cause interference.

This is why we always play a 1 straight as 1 small base length and a 2 straight as 1 large base length. If you 2 straight directly through a large base you're perfectly perpendicular to we don't even measure, you aren't supposed to clear so we don't let any random variance break that.