Sign in to follow this  
ViscerothSWG

Intentional Draws Announcement

So....if enough people have a hissy fit, FFG will change their policy on things?  That's what I get from this and the whole damage deck reversal.

Hmmm, maybe. I think it's great they listen, even if the eventual decisions are not along the popular vein. The downside is that you may have a vocal minority exerting undue influence to the detriment of the larger player base. That's on them to decide though, rather than being an inevitable conclusion, so I still think it's a net positive. There may be times they have to ride out a tough decision, like an edition change or something.

The opposite would be a company like GW who literally doesn't even want to hear from you except when you buy things. I'll take FFGs way any day.

My only fear with this announcement is that they remove draws but do nothing to fix the modified loss.

As that will creat a much more cut throat approach to tournament play, with a win big or go home mindset Drops could become even more common.

Exciting times ahead though.

Kris

They should be discouraging timed matches as much as they can. 

I'm still hoping for a move away from Swiss for higher-level competition. Doesn't seem like it, but it also doesn't seem like they know exactly how they are going to eliminate draws entirely.

They even referenced the need to differentiate between casual and competitive play again. 

Not a very impressive article. I don't know which I part I liked best. It is a draw between the 'lets make it legal because people will just do it anyway' argument and this little gem about collusion:

"Collusion among players to manipulate scoring at a tournament is a forbidden behavior that represents an illegal act and violates the integrity of the event."

So, players working together to manipulate scoring at a tournament is not a forbidden behavior because it is a legal act that violates the integrity of the event.

Whatever. At least they are fixing it eventually.

Why don't they just make a series of tie breakers?

Primary Tie breaker is:

First MOV (All ships should have 1/2 cost at 1/2 damage also)

Then Bid

Then dice off.

A competitive event where someone can literally win with a "dice off" would be absolutely ridiculous.

My only fear with this announcement is that they remove draws but do nothing to fix the modified loss.

As that will creat a much more cut throat approach to tournament play, with a win big or go home mindset Drops could become even more common.

Kris

My hope is that the points switch for mod loss's to 1 from 0.

Sounds to me like it's remaining as is for X-Wing, but they are eliminating draws from some of their other games...

They're removing all draws from most games. A lot of the article is just explaining the (good) reasons why ID was implemented. But at the start and end they state that draws are going away this summer.

Sounds to me like it's remaining as is for X-Wing, but they are eliminating draws from some of their other games...

No:

In our games which feature two-game Swiss rounds (Android: Netrunner™ and Star Wars™: The Card Game), we are not planning any change to the intentional split policy due to the frequency of matches which result in equal tournament points awarded to both players.

You are correct only in that things will remain as they are, but only until the next Tournament Rules update in July.

Until July, they're sticking to the current ID rule (for consistency?). After July, draws will be a thing of the past.

This.  It sounds like they're looking at points adjustments to account for games that, in the past anyway, would be draws.

I know, I know.  I realized my stupidity 10 seconds after posting, then went through a train tunnel... then went through another train tunnel... typical...  :)

One of these days you'll actually be able to hold a decent connection on a train service in the UK...

Primary Tie breaker is:

Then Bid

Then dice off.

A competitive event where someone can literally win with a "dice off" would be absolutely ridiculous.

Just WIN MOAR and don't put yourself in the position to worry about an Intentional Draw dice off.  If you just WIN MOAR a Intentional Draw tiebreaker won't affect you.

Edited by GiraffeandZebra

Primary Tie breaker is:

Then Bid

Then dice off.

Agreed. They should require a dance-off instead.

Kris

My hope is that the points switch for mod loss's to 1 from 0.

Eliminate Mod wins/losses all together.  Just win or loss.   I've hated the whole modified win concept to begin with.

Fantastic everybody. The whining gets results. Now all the pressure goes back onto TOs to try and police collusion. Instead of people taking IDs they'll collude.

Prime example

#5 plays #6

A draw and they're both in.

If one tables the other, then the loser is probably out. Players agree that whoever wins will win by as little as realistically possible. Unless a TO pays a bunch of attention to every match it will be hard to police.

They're doing away with draws completely from the sounds of things.  

but it's not like removing ID's is going to cause people to start cheating if they didn't already.  What ID's did was effectively make collusion legal.

I know a lot of people who play at Regionals and such who would have no issue with taking advantage of rules but won't out and out cheat.

Fantastic everybody. The whining gets results. Now all the pressure goes back onto TOs to try and police collusion. Instead of people taking IDs they'll collude.

Prime example

#5 plays #6

If one tables the other, then the loser is probably out. Players agree that whoever wins will win by as little as realistically possible. Unless a TO pays a bunch of attention to every match it will be hard to police.

The article very clearly explains why this will NOT be happening. Did you read it?

So....if enough people have a hissy fit, FFG will change their policy on things?  That's what I get from this and the whole damage deck reversal.

Well, this was the first one where it caused a significant schism between a pair of the most prominent and well respected members of the community.

But taking their time to figure it out is good, and FFG OP are earning back a lot of my crumbled faith with this announcement.

Perhaps.  I choose to withhold judgement until such time as we see the proposed solution.

If only everyone had taken that approach a couple weeks ago.  Sheesh.

Prime example

#5 plays #6

Which is a very highly unlikely scenario.  If the winner doesn't personally know the loser, why would he risk any possibility of a collusion allegation to help some rando?  Just finish crushing him.  You have to have two people, both paired, with just the right MOVs, who are both friendly to each other, and both willing to cheat for this to occur.  Hell, if they are willing to go that far, they are probably willing to just make up a score.

On the other hand, legalized collusion in the form of an Intentional Draw would happen nearly every time it was beneficial, whether the players are friendly or not.

No, If enough people speak out against something, FFG will listen, collect data and ideas, and modify later if they find a reason to do so.  That's a pretty **** good model to follow.

We might not like all the end choices but I appreciate that they are promoting Play it out instead of Lock em out.

But taking their time to figure it out is good, and FFG OP are earning back a lot of my crumbled faith with this announcement.

Perhaps.  I choose to withhold judgement until such time as we see the proposed solution.

I think if everyone had taken that approach, they likely wouldn't even be working on a "proposed solution".  We'd have IDs forever and have to like it.

Then we might not have this re-consideration happening.