Sign in to follow this  
ShadoWarrior

I am not your father...

J.J. Abrams ends some of the speculation regarding Rey's parentage. The leading contender, Luke, is out. Which I find odd and sad. Odd, because she seems to be even stronger in the Force than Luke was at the beginning of his training, and Luke was the son of one of the strongest Force users to have ever lived. Sad, because I would have loved to have seen the father-daughter dynamic, in addition to the master-apprentice one that we'll likely see.

This, of course, fuels the question of who the hell her parents were? People super strong in the Force are uber rare, even amongst Force users, and Rey picked up skills in a matter of days — some in minutes — without any training and that took Luke years to achieve (even with the help of Yoda, and Ben's Force ghost, as mentors). Palpatine was dead before she was born. The old (pre-Disney) canon had no one else that strong in the Force. None of Luke's apprentices were, with the possible exception of the Solo kids, and the new canon completely changes that. Abrams must be introducing a new, awesome, lineage. Otherwise he'll create a massive continuity problem with the canon. Palpatine and Vader should have discovered human parents strong enough in the Force to give rise to Rey. Which leads to the fascinating possibility that one or both of her parents were Imperials (such as Mara Jade from the old canon).

Read the CNN article here.

*sigh* why does everyone strong in the force HAVE to come from parents strong in the force?

It's so boring and uninteresting.

It would mean that the force is more or less a genetic trait instead of a mystical power that lives within all of us.

No, I hope her parents are pretty much nobody special and that she simply is "blessed" in the force, for no other reason than the fact that the force is mysterious.

Well... I wouldn't count Luke out of the running yet.

After this story made news, J.J. Abrams clarified his comments to Entertainment Weekly. “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world,” the director said. 

I've learned to take everything Abrams says with a grain of salt. Remember how Khan wasn't supposed to be in the second Star Trek movie?

*sigh* why does everyone strong in the force HAVE to come from parents strong in the force?

It would mean that the force is more or less a genetic trait instead of a mystical power that lives within all of us.

This is pretty much why I killed off Anakin in our game.

So Luke was born to Owen Lars and he's awesome because he's awesome, not because he's a member of some special snowflake bloodline.

The fixation of the movies on one bloodline is to its detriment.  I remember the WEG design brief, that wanted to take Star Wars forward, to show us new worlds and characters and a bigger galaxy. And how Lucas did the exact opposite with the pre-sequels.

Part of what appeals to me in Star Wars is the breadth and scope of the possibilities. Yet they keep wanting to drag us back to the same places and people and situations and superweapons all the time.

I think that's why I'm a big fan of the game, because it's a sandbox for me to tell my own stories... and why I feel so divorced from the canon material these days.

Edited by Maelora

No, I hope her parents are pretty much nobody special and that she simply is "blessed" in the force, for no other reason than the fact that the force is mysterious.

I'm not sure it's ever been established that they have to come from a strong force family.  In fact, the only example of a force user lineage we hear about in the movies is Skywalker.  But we have Yoda, who is OP with the Force, but we don't hear of his lineage.  We have Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, also strong with the Force, but no lineage explained.   I think you are mixing one example of a family having strong Force ties to it being required.  Which it isn't.   So one family is good with the Force, so what?  That's like saying if you don't come from Usain Bolt's family you will never be a fast runner, or from Pele's family, you will never be a great soccer player.   They have a genetic tendency to be strong in the Force, sure, but Leia isn't.    Training is just as important as aptitude.   But aptitude itself doesn't get you anywhere if you don't apply yourself.

As to the topic of if Rey is Luke's kid or not.  I'm firmly in the camp of "JJ is known to flat out lie to cover up a plot element in his Mystery Box stuff"  so I'll wait until the movie actually comes out.    I personally think she is a Skywalker, but she could just as easily be the "lone survivor padawan" and nothing more, and that would be fine.   Most of my reasons why I think she is Skywalker is due to narrative design of storytelling, and a few tiny things from the movie.  But those things from the movie could just as easily be neutral in their implications.

Honestly, I'm more interested in when they are going to reveal Finn to be a Force user.

******* Abrams' "Mystery Box"

If she isnt Luke's daughter, why did you made a huge deal about the Legacy of Anakin's Lightsaber?!?

Given the flaws in your grammar there, I'm not sure if you said "you" meaning me, or meant to put "him" meaning JJ Abrams?  Seeing as I didn't mention Luke's lightsaber, I'm guessing you meant to refer to JJ Abrams?

JJ is also on record as not being thrilled with the Into Darkness experience so I wouldn't put too much stock into what went on with that film guiding the Star Wars films going forward.  Given it didn't do better financially than the reboot I'm also confident Disney doesn't want to draw on that example terribly much either.  They didn't lie about anything in TFA leading up to its release, they just didn't talk.  I use that as a guide.

I'm not sure it's ever been established that they have to come from a strong force family.  In fact, the only example of a force user lineage we hear about in the movies is Skywalker.  But we have Yoda, who is OP with the Force, but we don't hear of his lineage.  We have Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, also strong with the Force, but no lineage explained.   I think you are mixing one example of a family having strong Force ties to it being required.  Which it isn't.   So one family is good with the Force, so what?  That's like saying if you don't come from Usain Bolt's family you will never be a fast runner, or from Pele's family, you will never be a great soccer player.   They have a genetic tendency to be strong in the Force, sure, but Leia isn't.    Training is just as important as aptitude.   But aptitude itself doesn't get you anywhere if you don't apply yourself.

As to the topic of if Rey is Luke's kid or not.  I'm firmly in the camp of "JJ is known to flat out lie to cover up a plot element in his Mystery Box stuff"  so I'll wait until the movie actually comes out.    I personally think she is a Skywalker, but she could just as easily be the "lone survivor padawan" and nothing more, and that would be fine.   Most of my reasons why I think she is Skywalker is due to narrative design of storytelling, and a few tiny things from the movie.  But those things from the movie could just as easily be neutral in their implications.

Honestly, I'm more interested in when they are going to reveal Finn to be a Force user.

I'm talking about fans and their theories. (and to some extent the past EU)

Whenever someone strong in the force appears, it's always "oooh, they must be related to Blabla WHatshisface" or something like that, because people are so bloody unimaginative.

sorry... it's a pet peeve.

Whenever someone strong in the force appears, it's always "oooh, they must be related to Blabla WHatshisface" or something like that, because people are so bloody unimaginative.

Heehee.  This amused me more than I can really explain why.  Blabla Whatshisface.  *snerk*

I'll take your word on the EU doing that a lot.  I didn't read much of it, because most of what I read was junk.    But, thankfully, since Disney has dumped most of the EU, you might not have to worry about everyone being the Force child of some awesome Force user going forward.

Really? We've known forever that the Star Wars movies are about the Skywalkers. Saying this is boring and unimaginative is pretty much the same as saying the Harry Potter movies are boring and unimaginative for being about Harry Potter, or Batman movies are about Batman. You know what you're getting when you walk into the theater.

I'm pretty sure Rey is Luke's daughter. There's too much evidence pointing to it and almost none pointing anywhere else. To change that now would be artistically dishonest and change the nature of the Star Wars movies in ways Disney has already said they wouldn't change - that the main series hero will always be a Skywalker. Non-Skywalker stories will come in the form of the Anthology movies.

I'm talking about fans and their theories. (and to some extent the past EU)

sorry... it's a pet peeve.

I think the thing that bugs me the most about all those fan theories is that the people putting them forward use the word "evidence" when they actually mean is "stuff that I'm going to wildly interpret as support for what I want to believe, regardless."

Really? We've known forever that the Star Wars movies are about the Skywalkers. Saying this is boring and unimaginative is pretty much the same as saying the Harry Potter movies are boring and unimaginative for being about Harry Potter, or Batman movies are about Batman. You know what you're getting when you walk into the theater.

I'm pretty sure Rey is Luke's daughter. There's too much evidence pointing to it and almost none pointing anywhere else. To change that now would be artistically dishonest and change the nature of the Star Wars movies in ways Disney has already said they wouldn't change - that the main series hero will always be a Skywalker. Non-Skywalker stories will come in the form of the Anthology movies.

You mean no evidence other than Han, Leia, Chewie, Kylo Ren, and 3PO not recognizing her.  

You mean no evidence other than Han, Leia, Chewie, Kylo Ren, and 3PO not recognizing her.  

Which means nothing. Would you recognize her if the last time you saw her she was a young child twenty-some-odd years earlier? I highly doubt it. Adult facial features often look quite a bit different than those of young children.

Which means nothing. Would you recognize her if the last time you saw her she was a young child twenty-some-odd years earlier? I highly doubt it. Adult facial features often look quite a bit different than those of young children.

BS.  People who know each other intimately like two war hero buddies and their kids would not forget each other's children after maybe 10 years, 15 tops. 

I also don't buy that when you are talking Wookiees, who track by smell and are long lived, and definitely not a droid.

Edited by 2P51

BS.  People who know each other intimately like two war hero buddies and their kids would not forget each other's children after maybe 10 years, 15 tops. 

I also don't buy that when you are talking Wookiees, who track by smell and are long lived, and definitely not a droid.

There are several flaws in your assertion. First, you can check Google for pics of actors and actresses at age 5 and then age 25 and see how many of them are recognizable as the same person without captions to tell you who is who. Go on, try it. I think you'll be surprised. There's a reason that special software exists to show what missing children may look like as older kids or adults. It's precisely because people's facial features change as they mature. You're also presupposing that kids always resemble their parents. While most kids do look like one of their parents, not all do. Michael Douglas certainly resembles Kirk Douglas, as does Kiefer Sutherland and Donald Sutherland as well as Scott Caan and James Caan. Charlie Sheen, for the most part, looks like young Martin Sheen. Emilio Estevez, also a son of Martin Sheen, not so much.

Second, you're assuming that most people have flawless memories, and that human memory recall is independent of contextual clues. Recognizing someone as an adult instead of as a child is much easier if they're standing next to another family member than if you meet them at random in a restaurant or walking past you on a city sidewalk. Given a contextual relation, the human mind can make a connection. Absent the context, the connection is orders of magnitude more difficult to make. And the longer the time span, the more difficult it becomes, exponentially. Human memories fade. You're not playing back a video recording. Memory is fuzzy. Which is why eyewitness testimony is so unreliable.

Lastly, you're assuming that J.J. Abrams pays attention to small details like how good a Wookiee's sense of smell is, and that C-3PO hasn't had his memory wiped (again) or that C-3PO's facial recognition software also has age progression/regression built in.

Edited by ShadoWarrior

There are several flaws in your assertion. First, you can check Google for pics of actors and actresses at age 5 and then age 25 and see how many of them are recognizable as the same person without captions to tell you who is who. Go on, try it. I think you'll be surprised. There's a reason that special software exists to show what missing children may look like as older kids or adults. It's precisely because people's facial features change as they mature. You're also presupposing that kids always resemble their parents. While most kids do look like one of their parents, not all do. Michael Douglas certainly resembles Kirk Douglas, as does Kiefer Sutherland and Donald Sutherland as well as Scott Caan and James Caan. Charlie Sheen, for the most part, looks like young Martin Sheen. Emilio Estevez, also a son of Martin Sheen, not so much.

Second, you're assuming that most people have flawless memories, and that human memory recall is independent of contextual clues. Recognizing someone as an adult instead of as a child is much easier if they're standing next to another family member than if you meet them at random in a restaurant or walking past you on a city sidewalk. Given a contextual relation, the human mind can make a connection. Absent the context, the connection is orders of magnitude more difficult to make. And the longer the time span, the more difficult it becomes, exponentially. Human memories fade. You're not playing back a video recording. Memory is fuzzy. Which is why eyewitness testimony is so unreliable.

Lastly, you're assuming that J.J. Abrams pays attention to small details like how good a Wookiee's sense of smell is, and that C-3PO hasn't had his memory wiped (again) or that C-3PO's facial recognition software also has age progression/regression built in.

I'm not the one making wild assumptions.  Plus really, you're using actors as examples?  People who get paid money to look and act like other people and tie their appearances to every fashion trend of the day? Gimme a break.

Edited by 2P51

The star wars movies are about the Skywalker Legacy.

Doesn't mean she has to be a Skywalker, just that she's part of the Skywalker Legacy.

Also, need I remind you that Kylo Ren is a Skywalker?

So even if Luke died in the first 5 seconds of episode 8, as long as Kylo Ren is in the movies, they're still about the Skywalker bloodline.

But like I said, it doesn't have to be about someone related to the Skywalker family, just their legacy, which would include the last jedi trained by a Skywalker.

Because the movies HERO doesn't have to be a Skywalker, because I surely wouldn't call Anakin a hero in any of the prequels (especially not in episode 3)

Oh and, as 2P51 mentioned, NOBODY even SLIGHTLY remembers her... not even the SLIGHTEST suspicion when they hear where she's from or her name or anything.

And as someone who's worked with children for the past 20 years, I can tell you that you DO recognize people after they've grown up if you knew them when they were a child.

Sure, it might take you a minute or two to place their face, but you DO recognize them.

Edited by OddballE8