Sign in to follow this  
HornedOwl

Question concerning Errata Version 1.5

Hi all,

My gaming group recently started playing Descent finally and have been really enjoying it.

In the "Errata and FAQ Version 1.5", on the 1st page under "Rulebook" where it states:

Page 18: Add "Two-Hero Game" section:

When playing with two heroes, the heroes recieve an additional advantage. Once during each heroes turn, that hero may perform one attack that does not require an action. This attack cannot be a special action that includes an attack ("Rage" or "Exploding Rune" for example); the attack must be a regular attack action. This attack can only be performed during the "Perform Actions"step of the hero turn and can be performed before or after either of his actions.

At the end of each heroes turn, if that hero did not or could not perform the free attack during their turn, they may instead recover 2(heart).

My question is why was this change added? It seems like it would make the heroes overpowered. The hero party essentially gets a 3rd hero without the Overlord getting the monsters for 6-actions worth of heroes.

Example: In Encounter 2 of Death on the Wing scenario, this change would make it possible for the heroes to run up and kill the boss Belthir before the Overlord even gets their 1st turn. This is of course assuming the Heroes won the Encounter 1 of this scenario.

Is there something I (we) are missing, doing wrong, or possibly not doing right?

I think it was to address ballance, but they just flipped the more overpowered side in a 2 hero game. Regardless, you should be using FAQ 1.6. It didn't change that specific rule that I remember, but it's more up to date.

I've been playing with these new rules (where I'm controlling two heroes vs my gf who's overlord) and I'm still getting my ass kicked!

Which campaign are you playing? Are you playing Heirs of Blood or Shadow Rune? (or a mini campaign?)

The rules don' make much sense for Shadow Rune in most missions (for my group at least).... but in Heirs of Blood it could work but never tried it.

My group mostly plays with 4 heros anyway so I never got to confirm it for Heirs of Blood. The rule was made for Heirs of Blood and the mini campaigns I think... the Shadow Rune isn't balanced at all if you don't play with 3 or 4 Heros in my opinion. Because some missions get like seriously screwed up if you only play with 2 heros...

Edited by Kaisho

The rule was introduced with Heirs of blood for balance issues. 2 heroes is widely acknowledged as being the hardest balance for heroes to deal with.

Action economy is a premium in descent and 2 heroes usually struggle to actually get stuff done. 

2 heroes is widely acknowledged as being the hardest balance for heroes to deal with.

hmm... oh so that is why I was constantly loosing a 2 heroes game to a newbie overlord...

I really do like Descent, but introducing a mayor rule change 4 years after release smells like something is seriously wrong with this game.

Edited by zinolau

2 heroes is widely acknowledged as being the hardest balance for heroes to deal with.

hmm... oh so that is why I was constantly loosing a 2 heroes game to a newbie overlord...

I really do like Descent, but introducing a mayor rule change 4 years after release smells like something is seriously wrong with this game.

It really works best with four heroes so you can have a party that complements each other (Healer, tank, dd). It is also very complex, and there is no computer that manages the game so sometimes things can become unclear. The problem of Descent is that it lacks a proper FAQ. But thankfully there is a good community for that:)

Keeping in mind that I am a Newbie; I am not sure I see it as a problem that the game does not balance as easy with only two heroes. It seems to me that the rules and game were designed for a team of skill sets best represented by four heroes, one from each of the Archetypes. By limiting the Heroes to 2 you clearly are sacrificing some of the skills needed, thus making the task harder. Seems o make sense to me.

Its hard to say whats causes people to lose in descent - there are so many variables including number of players, class choice, hero choice etc, before you even get to the respective skill of the individual players.

Simple maths however determines that fewer heroes struggle due simply to action economy.

2 heroes have 4 actions a hero round (abilities/feats/skills not withstanding). Looking at the original Shadow rune intro quest a the overlord would have 1 ettin and 3 goblin archers, 8 actions in his turn.

Now consider that each attack has a 1/6 (or thereabouts chance to miss) which essentially wastes an entire action which hurts a LOT more when you only have a 4 a turn.

Then consider that without a healer the heroes have very few ways to recover damage so if 1 of your 2 heroes isn't fixing you up your going to end up getting knocked down a lot (which wastes an entire turn if your partner cant pick you up.)

The game is essentially balanced and built around 4 heroes, the 3 player variant is usually in the heroes favor - for similar reasons - and the faq amendments address the biggest issue 2 hero games had quite well, the free regular attack or 2 heart recovery lets the heroes do more but not spam more powerful abilities.