Sign in to follow this  
Orjo Creld

Perhaps I underestimated FFG

Possibly because the first two iterations, Edge and Age, sort of seemed, at least to some, to NOT want to do that, taking Star Wars, and then saying "lightsabers? No, you probably won't have one, and if you do, you won't be any good with it", and "Jedi? No, you can't be one, there aren't any, and your starting use of the Force, if you ever get it", will make you question why anyone wants this, and why you are even worse than the children Anakin slaughtered. Now note, I'm more saying voiced feelings from back then, as opposed to my own, or how the various rules, and certainly the Force book, have things going, but I can say that, when Edge of the Empire was still in beta, and I had to tell my friends, whom I would've been GMing for, that there was no "Jedi" class, you couldn't be a Jedi, or even really become one, and you will never be good with a lightsaber, unless you max out one Force power (Sense), or the GM caves, and gives out the Lightsaber skill, they all said no, and we still aren't playing, because I haven't grasped the rules, yet, and other stuff.

When they seemed to make a Star Wars game without Jedi, the Force, and lightsabers, as a rather central element, or somewhat even there, at all, it seemed hard to call it Star Wars. Thus, with this book finally giving out "Jedi-themed" stuff, all of the lightsaber goodies, more Force powers, and all, that might be what they meant; now it feel more like Star Wars, and they did a good job, too. Not sure, but that's what I hope, at least.

When they seemed to make a Star Wars game without Jedi, the Force, and lightsabers, as a rather central element, or somewhat even there, at all, it seemed hard to call it Star Wars. Thus, with this book finally giving out "Jedi-themed" stuff, all of the lightsaber goodies, more Force powers, and all, that might be what they meant; now it feel more like Star Wars, and they did a good job, too. Not sure, but that's what I hope, at least.

I think there are a lot of people who don't want to play as jedi straight away. The same ones who don't pick Fighter in DnD, they want something more interesting, or their favourite characters are: Han Solo, Lando, Leia, Jango/Boba Fett, C-3PO, HK-47, Clone troopers, Chewy etc. Swinging a lightsaber around is cool, but a lot of the other stuff is not so fun to roleplay, being all serene and stuff. There are many badass characters who we would favour more, and lets face it, first time roleplayers are not going to be serene, they are going to want to kill and wreck stuff. 

I honestly don't think F&D is necessarily

looking for answers to perpetuate the Jedi way

Unless you add them back in, the F&D PCs, by default, are not Jedi.  They are self-trained Force users trying to learn all about their own powers and picking through the bones of all the Sith and Jedi stuff from antiquity.

They have no big Orders telling them what to do and how to behave. They are looking for artefacts and lightsabers and stuff they can use, but they're under no compulsion to 'restart the Jedi order' or anything. 

Because the way the game focuses on the extremes of your own personality, 'Dark Side' here doesn't make you a puppy-eating monster, and it is a perfectly legitimate in-game choice to decide your character favours being reckless or obsessed or emotional or whatever.

One of the things I liked about it is that the game is - at least in part - a personal journey about yourself and your powers and you're not beholden to what the Jedi or the Sith or anyone else did. You might have to keep a low profile and keep under the radar of the Empire, but pretty much you're on your own, exploring the fringes and the galaxy's history.

Edited by Maelora

Well, certainly different people will have different thoughts, and I've played with people who never want to be Jedi characters, but IME, many of my friends said Star Wars is Star Wars because of Jedi, and their Force, their lightsabers, and such. Without them, it's just another space game, and you could, just as easily, be playing 40k, Star Trek, or something else that is "All Science! What's this magic thing?" Sure, there are plenty of games where you'd need to hide what you are, and the setting they push is one, for Jedi, like male Channelers in WoT, but Jedi make it Star Wars, or that's the opinion, at least. Even at the height of the Empire, there were still a few Jedi (Rahm Kota, before the de-canon, Kanaan, a few others), and people I've known wanted those options; whether they thought that the current system allowed for that, is up to them.

Like I said, most of what F&D, and even the other options, says/does, I actually like the ideas of, but the seeming absence of the iconic archetype, intentionally, threw a few of my friends off this game, especially before F&D. I worked on the idea that "magic" unbalances many systems, and if you remember how EotE beta changed, over time, it seemed they wanted to work out the rest of the system, and make sure its mechanics worked, before ading in the Jedi, their superpowers, and all. Your opinion may certainly vary.

I expressed alarm elsewhere that FFG had no release tied to Episode 7. And the lack of Jedi in the univrse

They did. For X-Wing. But as the RPG delves a bit into the lore of Star Wars, FFG couldn't release anything as they were as in the dark as the rest of us. Seeing as they quoted Maz in the announcement article for Savage Spirits, they're quick on the uptake, although seeing as books are in development a while before announcement, Savage Spirits won't likely have any ties aside from some fluff like that, unless they made some considerable last minute changes.

If you want to be a bit needlessly mean to Ep7, it basically IS Ep4, which is well covered in the books. Palpatine is Snoke, Ren is Vader, Leia is Leia, I mean Mon Mothma, blah, blah, blah. So much is similar, it's literally just change some names.

Now, if you were doing Legacy, you might have a slightly harder time; I know it can as easily be a change "sub this name for that", but I don't know if their Inquisitor builds could cover the likely much more powerful, more numerous Sith Lords, under Darth Krayt, and I'm under the impression their take on Vader was "Stats? Nope, you don't need them. Did they run? They probably lived. Did they run? No? They got hurt! Next round, did they run? No? TPK!", so making rules to represent Darth Talon, Nihl, Wyrlok, and some of the other "Vader-lite-analogues" might be hard. I don't think Force Awakens introduced much that was new, and thus the book already sort of feels like it dealt with it. My opinion, of course.

but Jedi make it Star Wars, or that's the opinion, at least.

For me, I'd say The Force is what makes Star Wars unique.  And F&D gives you The Force, in spades. 

I can take or leave Jedi. But F&D lets you do whatever you want with them. Want the other traditions to shine? This is the ideal era.  Want to rebuild the Jedi? No problem. Want to run it in another era where the characters are backed by a huge Order and beholden to all their rules? The GM Screen suggests how you can do this.

By default, the game assumes you are playing Force-adepts exploring history and your own personality. I like how the game gives you space to explore a more personal journey without the baggage of the Jedi in the way.

But heck, you can use the rules to portray any era or any setting you wish. The game I've run for over 2 years now has the Empire in pieces, Palpatine and Anakin killed by the Jedi long before Order 66, and the Jedi are the main antagonists for all other factions, a ruthless end-justifies-the-means secret Illuminati trying to restore the Old Republic by force, stamping out other traditions and burning apostates at the stake.

FFG just gives us the rules and a default setting, which is the one familiar to most people and the least controversial era.

The rest is up to you.

Edited by Maelora

I expressed alarm elsewhere that FFG had no release tied to Episode 7.

What would you include that can't be done with the existing core books? Stormtroopers, X-Wings, droids and wookiees are still the same, right?

The odd new race or bit of gear? They'll include that at some point I'm sure, as they've done with the cartoons, the pre-sequels and the EU. 

And the lack of Jedi in the universe

By default, it's set the original movie era, so Jedi are conspicuous by their absence.

If you want to include them, go ahead.   I did.   It's your game.

Edited by Maelora

I always laugh when I see comments along the lines of "Star Wars isn't Star Wars without Jedi or lightsabers" like the idea of space knights is a new one. Sorry it is not. Star Wars is what it is because of so much more, not to mention an amalgamation of so many previously conceived ideas. George did a really good job putting them together in such a way to grab everyone's attention. That's not to say people do not enjoy some aspects more than others, but those aspects can vary just much as there are so many different fans out there. Comments like "this is not Star Wars because there are no Jedi" have been around since the beta dropped. The game, though, seems to be doing very well even with such criticism. So it has obviously struck a chord with enough fans that FFG feels their choice of direction is the correct one. And I have to say I agree.

I expressed alarm elsewhere that FFG had no release tied to Episode 7. And the lack of Jedi in the univrse

Episode 7 is the first part of a Trilogy that Disney are keeping as close to their chest as possible.

We're being introduced to new species new villains and force traditions, as well as vehicles and weapons.

But there's 2 more films to come out where we will likely learn more about the things we've seen so far and more.

Until they're released FFG don't have a huge amount of new trilogy to work with.

That said its a really easy conversion to the time period

I always laugh when I see comments along the lines of "Star Wars isn't Star Wars without Jedi or lightsabers" like the idea of space knights is a new one. Sorry it is not. Star Wars is what it is because of so much more, not to mention an amalgamation of so many previously conceived ideas. George did a really good job putting them together in such a way to grab everyone's attention. That's not to say people do not enjoy some aspects more than others, but those aspects can vary just much as there are so many different fans out there. Comments like "this is not Star Wars because there are no Jedi" have been around since the beta dropped. The game, though, seems to be doing very well even with such criticism. So it has obviously struck a chord with enough fans that FFG feels their choice of direction is the correct one. And I have to say I agree.

Well, it should be interesting to see what those folks' reactions are when Rogue One drops in December, as thus far the only hint of a Force user we really have is the possibility of Darth Vader making an appearance.