Sign in to follow this  
Seastan

Enjoy the Journey

Interesting cards.  The developers seem to be trying to give other options for location control.  Quite a lot of cards have been focused on progress placement or location manipulation lately.  I still don't see a reason to stop using Asfaloth and Northern Trackers though :P

I do appreciate that the developers are at least acknowledging the prevalence of Northern Trackers/Asfaloth (in multi-player games especially) and looking at ways of making the players less reliant on them.

Edited by cmabr002

Mirkwood Explorer is really interesting. He can just build up progress tokens until you need him to clear out at nasty location. Might work best with a card like Hennemarth so you can decide if you want him to quest or save his exhaust.

Does the pattern of these cards indicate we are heading northeast next?

The Woodman guy seems rather strong, just as the other scout. I am just worried how often will a strategy of having a deck in focus on location explore be not redundant. I know there are many quests where it really, really makes things much easier, but there are more and more when it helps very little.

The Silvan attachment falls into the same category, maybe even more situational next to the allies who can actually do other things (quest well to say the least).

If i recall well, we get a bit of woodsmen lately which is interesting. The dcout could prove a very strong card indeed.

The attachment combos well with the Silvan scout ally, both spirit and 2 progress placed by them in a turn

I like the Mirkwood Explorer. He's great for turns 3 and on, especially for longer games that have some problematic locations hanging around towards the end of the game. You can quest well throughout the middle of the game and then really make good use out of him on those last quest cards. 

Huge fan of both 3 cost allies! More than 1 hitpoint, usually 2 willpower and the Spirit guy has a decent attack!

The Silvan allie will probably only see only Play if Location Control is REALLY needed or there are many forest Locations, only 1 Progress isn't worth it in my opinion.

(I think an Event that turns all Locations into forests for a turn or Phase could be cool)

Hithlain doesn't seem this great (compaired to the others). The effect isn't bad for 1 cost, but it takes up a Card Slot and doesn't provide repetitive value like allies or Asfaloth.

Sadly I don't think any of this Cards will bring down Northern tracker in a 3 or 4 Player game. There are just so many Locations in Play sooner or later that his value s jsut unbeatable. In Solo or Duo thinks look different though.

It's interesting what they say about Locations. I think the uncharted Locations are very cool and add much more Tension to travelling.

The ocean Locations on the other Hand don't look that threatening. I was allways happy revealing a Location during that quest instead of something else. 

I'm always happy to see alternatives to Northern Tracker and Asfaloth... I don't actually see Glorfindel in many of my 3-4 player games recently, many folks in our community around here seem to be trying some different things recently.  So I see less of Asfaloth, but I still include him in some decks even when Glorfindel is not round (1 progress per turn is still worthwhile, especially if you're combining with other forms of location control).

I do like each of these cards.  I actually really like the Woodland Courier, though she seems to be getting a mixed reception.  Great target for The Tree People, fits well into a lore/spirit deck, and almost certainly it will be combined with Celeborn in another deck (or in a tri-sphere deck), so I see this as a 1-cost card that has the potential to put 1 point of progress down several times per game (or 2, against many scenarios with Forest locations).  Similar to a Snowbourn Scout without the Theoden cost reduction, after a fashion, but with some actual utility outside of chump blocking (2 willpower, 2 attack on the turn entering play).

The closest comparable to Hithlain seems to be the Explorer's Almanach. Hithlain costs a resource and is less immediate in effect, but it adds extra progress (in a way). Different spheres of course, which is good.

The explorer seems very good. 3 WP for 2 resources is strong in lore, and then you get an extra reward for something you want to do anyway. The price tag means you probably want two or three lore heroes in the deck though.

Interesting cards.  The developers seem to be trying to give other options for location control.  Quite a lot of cards have been focused on progress placement or location manipulation lately.  I still don't see a reason to stop using Asfaloth and Northern Trackers though :P

I do appreciate that the developers are at least acknowledging the prevalence of Northern Trackers/Asfaloth (in multi-player games especially) and looking at ways of making the players less reliant on them.

And all those cards about progress on locations are lore. I thought it was competence from spirit sphere.

I like the Silvan cards.  Silvan has felt a bit formulaic to me, but it will be nice to give them more options to build around.

Mirkwood Explorer is a very cool card design.  3 cost is a little expensive, but I bet he'll see play.

I gotta say...I actually really like the silvan ally.  Assuming that you are using Galadriel and Celeborn with O Lorien in play, that is 1 cost for dropping a progress token (or 2) on a location and then questing for 2 without exhausting for a turn.  Granted, she is meant to go in and out of play (like all silvans) and is at her best the turn she enters play (like all silvans), but really on the right situation that makes her equivalent to a 1 cost 4 WP boost.  Not a power card for every deck and situation, but pretty cool...course I really like the silvan style of play so i'm a bit biased.

Oh yeah, Woodland Courier is great with Celeborn and Galadriel. 2 willpower 2 attack (or chump) on round one (possibly) is great. The only thing is that by now there are quite a few candidates for such a deck but even without the ability she is pretty good.

Edited by Fingolfin Fate

I gotta say...I actually really like the silvan ally.  Assuming that you are using Galadriel and Celeborn with O Lorien in play, that is 1 cost for dropping a progress token (or 2) on a location and then questing for 2 without exhausting for a turn.  Granted, she is meant to go in and out of play (like all silvans) and is at her best the turn she enters play (like all silvans), but really on the right situation that makes her equivalent to a 1 cost 4 WP boost.  Not a power card for every deck and situation, but pretty cool...course I really like the silvan style of play so i'm a bit biased.

Yea, I'm glad to see a few new Silvan cards as well.  I really enjoyed the trait/theme/decks I'd built with it, but without new cards to support it I haven't used them in awhile. 

I love the idea of Mirkwood Explorer. Banking tokens to be used for an awesome effect later really appeals to me. It reminds me of a charge counter deck for Magic I use to play a lot back in college. I just like the idea of amassing power. :D

He would be nice with side quests. You get a little bit extra out of him and if a location pops out, he's got your back.

FINALLY SOME NEWS!!

Still no word of whats going on with Flight of the Stormcaller though which is a bit worrying.

It also totally is just a filler news article because nothing else is going on.....

There is a lot of discussion about Mirkwood Courier. You guys know she was spoiled ages back right? I ran proxies of it a while ago.... fairly terrible in a non silvan deck but probably works like gangbusters in a silvan deck. Multiple progress placement because of bouncing in and out of play, boosted stats from Celeborn, potentially quest for 2 and then attack for 2 if running Galadriel hero etc.

Mirkwood Explorer is epic!!

Yes it takes a while to build up resources on him but if you got him out early game and just kept building resources on him you could take out a nasty location with like 6 or so quest points instantly with him. He is a great counter to that one awful location in each quest that needs to be avoided/explored asap. 2 Willpower combined with this ability is pretty nice too.

The only crappy thing is that you have to be careful with him as that awful location could appear during a turn you quest with him which means without readying you won't be able to use his ability to clear it until the following turn...

I quite like his art as well, love the pelt cape, long grey hair and headband.