Sign in to follow this  
Steel Cavalry

Tests of the Force

Hi everyone, GM dilemma here. I have a couple characters who have the Bravery v Anger and the Independence v Coldness morality traits, and I just cannot come up with a force trial that tailors to these themes. Any advice?

To give you an idea of what I am going for, here are the trials for 2 of the other force users in the party with other traits.

Pride v Arrogance- Comes before a large chasm, which looks like a strong individual could jump. Does he arrogantly believe he could do it without a problem, considering his force enhanced strength, or does he stop by the ledge where there is a place to meditate and take pride in his connection with the force to guide his way?

Caution v Fear- Enters a room with 10 doors, and a high pedestal to meditate on in the room's center. Either he can try and use the doors, which are trapped, or meditate and cautiously allow the force to show him the way even as the room fills with water.

Failure in both trials wouldn't allow for PC death, but waking up back in the starting chamber alive but unsuccessful.

Any help given is appreciated, game is Thursday April 14th so I would love to hear everyone's feedback ASAP!

I don't mean to be the "is it plugged in" guy, but have you taken a look at the Force and Destiny GM Screen adventure? It suggests a Force trial for each emotional weakness as the players hunt through caves for lightsaber crystals. The extension to the Beginner Set has a few suggestions on that as well, I think...

Those are more geared to the idea of tricking the player into believing they are engaging their strength while really tapping into their weakness. They say "I am being Brave" or "I am being Cautious" but really they're giving into Recklessness and Fear. Personally, I like this way of looking at it, because it shows that the Strength/Weakness are two sides of the same coin for the player. That said, it looks like you're going for a "give in to the easy path of weakness or do something harder that engages their strength". That might require more roleplaying from the players, since it might be easier to metagame and intentionally engage what they believe is their strength. But I'm not here to judge, and your trials are definitely interesting. If you want something more similar to that, what about this?

Bravery v Anger - Comes up to a clear and easy path towards their goal, but it is guarded by an imposing but defeatable sentinel who tells the player that they "aren't worthy" or says something to egg them on and refuses to allow them entry. They can attack this person, and the person will defend themselves, but they find that they are having no effect on the guardian while the guardian is "really" hurting them. Alternatively, there is a path that appears winding and dangerous and like it might not take them the right way. If they don't give in to anger and choose the tougher path, they are being Brave by taking the high road and quickly find their goal.

Independence v Coldness - Finding a small group of sentient-seeming creatures, the player initially believes the creatures are able to lead the way to their goal. As the player follows the creatures, the little critters start falling to terrible fates. The player can keep going, sacrificing their lives to find the goal, but if they do eventually the last one falls and they are lost, only able to find the starting cavern. However, if they elect to do it alone because the creatures aren't capable of braving the dangers with him, his sacrifice and understanding that sometimes things must be done alone - and that things can be done alone without the leaving in itself being Cold - they find the goal by themselves.

For the Bravery vs Anger...

You could have the player be witness to an old man beating a young woman with a whip.

If the character attacks the old man, the old man dies because he's too frail.

If he tries to aid the woman, he's the one getting whipped and will suffer for it, but that is being brave.

Edited by JP_JP

For the Bravery vs Anger...

You could have the player be witness to an old man beating a young woman with a whip.

If the character attacks the old man, the old man dies because he's too frail.

If he tries to aid the woman, he's the one getting whipped and will suffer for it, but that is being brave.

Well, I would point out, that Bravery/Courage is usually defined as "being afraid/scared, but facing a threat anyway".   So if that's the definition the OP would use, it might be a good idea to try and set up a Fear/Inaction vs Bravery/Helping  dynamic in the test.       

Not sure how to have that reflect Anger, as that's more of a Bravery focused test, but perhaps separate them out.  Have tests for strengths, and test for weaknesses.