Sign in to follow this  
slowreflex

What individual cards should I acquire beyond the expansions?

I'm planning on buying every expansion.  What I want to know, is beyond owning every expansion, what cards should I look to have more of?  i.e. Lets say if I owned every expansion, I would have 2 Veteran Instincts, but there is reason to have 4, then I should look to acquire 2 more.  Obviously I don't need to worry about unique cards as I plan on buying all the expansions.

Put another way, what individual cards, besides unique cards, should I be looking to buy off eBay (or elsewhere)?

This is across all factions to basically be in a place where I have everything I need to make any legal squadron.

Hope that makes sense...

Edited by slowreflex

I can't recall how much of what is where but here are some you'll see listed:

PtL:  Probably not, you get three if you buy everything.  One with the A-Wing and two with Imperial Aces but maybe you want to run something that can use four of them.

Autothrusters:  You get 2 with the StarViper but I believe that is the only place to get it.  Some squadrons want to run more including the possible Avenger w/ AT x5 list.

Integrated Astromech:  Only found in the T-70 expansion but something you want for pretty much every X-Wing you'll play.

While I'm typing I see some additions made.

Predator: Defender and the Scum Ky**** ship (can't remember how it's spelled)

Crack Shot:  Only one source for this I believe but you may want multiples.

I might say that many of the Systems Upgrades are found in few ships but you may want them in multiples.  Advanced Sensors and Accuracy Corrects plus maybe the Targeting Computer.

I'm planning on buying every expansion.

That's a loooooooot of money right off the bat. Ebay's also going to give you terrible prices.

What sort of tournaments are you planning on going to? And if you're not, you don't need redundant copies of every card.

Of the most useful cards I can think of,

You'll never need more than two vi at any given time unless you run something like Vader + whisper + thurr

Ptl is also a twofer usually; you should have more than enough

You'll want 4-6 crackshots if you want to run a crackshot tie/awing swarm or miniswarm

Thrusters depend on the list. 1-2 is generally more than enough unless you love flying heaps of interceptors and/or awings

Personally never seen a list that needs more than two engine upgrades

If you're planning on going after every expansion, then I'd theorycraft some lists and start there, making sure you aren't going to overlap down the road (i.e. wasting money). No sense in buying singles for something you're going to buy two or three of anyway...

That's a loooooooot of money right off the bat. Ebay's also going to give you terrible prices.

What sort of tournaments are you planning on going to? And if you're not, you don't need redundant copies of every card.

I didn't say right of the bat.  :)  I plan on buying 2-3 expansions a month.  I also won't be buying the expansions off eBay, was just talking about individual cards.  Haven't seen another place in the UK to buy individual cards, but maybe there is.  That being said, my family lives in the US and it might make sense for them to buy cards/expansions there and mail them to me.  They are light in general, so it's probably worth it.  Haven't really looked into it.

When you say you are looking to buy every expansion, does that include the epic ships as well?

Yes.  The ship might just end up on eBay or being my sons toy though.  Not sure if I'll be playing any epic games.  I'm assuming those take awhile and I generally don't have long amounts of free time.

If you're already planning on buying at least one copy of each expansion, I wouldn't recommend buying singles of anything. In the rare times it constrains your list-building, think of it as a challenge to your creativity.

Well this is kind of why I want to buy everything, so I can use my creativity to put any squadron I want together.  No need to challenge my creativity when I don't have to.  ;)

Not sure on that, its about 2 decent swords and still less than one good starter road bike. X-Wing is a rather cheap hobby. Though I still can not really recommend buying upgrade cards of ebay. In most circumstances proxies are just fine, in rare cases like FFG tournaments it usually is easy enough to get help from the community if you really want to fly a list which is not covered by "one of everything" and lastly just buying downright a few expansions extra offers usually better value than buying cards from ebay. Which seems to reason most card sales on ebay are from stores who make a profit from selling expansions separately. 

Just found this resource which helps a lot with this.  Apparently to buy both core sets and all expansions, looking to pay around $820.  That's not that much really.

Though after I'm done with that, I have a feeling I'll want to start buying multiples of expansions.... Sounds like the advice is that that is a better plan than buying individual cards anyway.

Edited by slowreflex

Individual cards off eBay are much more expensive in the long run than buying one of each expansion, and then maybe a second or third of a particular expansion if a particular squad you have in mind requires something in that expansion.

For example, for a time I wanted to get one Autothrusters card from eBay. Adding together the price of the card from the seller, plus the posting fees, it went up to 17€!

Instead, for 20€ I could buy a StarViper expansion that comes with TWO of that card, plus also other useful cards like Calculation, Accuracy Corrector, Hull Upgrade or Inertial Dampeners. Plus of course, the miniature.

Individual cards off eBay are much more expensive in the long run than buying one of each expansion, and then maybe a second or third of a particular expansion if a particular squad you have in mind requires something in that expansion.

For example, for a time I wanted to get one Autothrusters card from eBay. Adding together the price of the card from the seller, plus the posting fees, it went up to 17€!

Instead, for 20€ I could buy a StarViper expansion that comes with TWO of that card, plus also other useful cards like Calculation, Accuracy Corrector, Hull Upgrade or Inertial Dampeners. Plus of course, the miniature.

Here in Germany I have seen people paying 20€ for a card when the mini costs only 15€. OK to be honest it was a card in German and at the time the ship was sold out and only available in English as a set. But there are people out there skimming every where they can

Here in Germany I have seen people paying 20€ for a card when the mini costs only 15€. OK to be honest it was a card in German and at the time the ship was sold out and only available in English as a set. But there are people out there skimming every where they can

It must have been a person with a particular obsession in keeping his collection German-only at all cost.

Interpreter droids are common in Star Wars (C3PO), and every of my pilots speaks whatever language they know (sometimes Swedish, sometimes Spanish, sometimes English) depending on from where I recruited them, and no problems so far.  :D

You should have enough Crack Shot, VI, PTL and Predator with one of each expansion. Personally I'd like a few more of Integrated Astromech, Juke, Comms Relay, Sensor Jammer and Tactician.

When I first started I made up my squadron and made a list of what I needed. A few months later I think the only expansion packs I don't have is the M-3A Scyk, E Wing, Rebel Transport, Corellian Corvette and the Ghost... Be careful this path you tread....RUN YOU FOOLS!!!!

I didn't say right of the bat.  :)  I plan on buying 2-3 expansions a month.  I also won't be buying the expansions off eBay, was just talking about individual cards.  Haven't seen another place in the UK to buy individual cards, but maybe there is.  That being said, my family lives in the US and it might make sense for them to buy cards/expansions there and mail them to me.  They are light in general, so it's probably worth it.  Haven't really looked into it.

If you're already planning on buying at least one copy of each expansion, I wouldn't recommend buying singles of anything. In the rare times it constrains your list-building, think of it as a challenge to your creativity.

Well this is kind of why I want to buy everything, so I can use my creativity to put any squadron I want together.  No need to challenge my creativity when I don't have to.  ;)

Getting the whole 9 yards is a very nice goal, but that would leave you with one ship of each (except offcourse the tie-fighter and x-wing plus the aces and most wanted sets) which DOES constrict your squad options a bit. The really good squads often contain the same ships. It really depends on your own style and likings. So trying to build some squads before you go buying ships is a very good tip! That way you can start playing first and build up the collection later. A very good site for doing this: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/  It is updated often, it has an option to save your purchases and it shows you the sets that each upgrade comes in. 

If you're not gonna play epic, you can also put them on display. They are of high quality finish, like most of the models!

I would also recommend to buy an extra expansion to aquire a specific upgrade rather than looking on e-bay as those are often way over-priced. The only ones really worth a look on e-bay are those that only come in the epic ship expansions (c-3PO, the TIE Advanced upgrades,...).

Also don't forget to accessorize :P A good map with a nice print and maybe a Line Laser Pointer will come in really handy once you start playing.

To return to the original question: 

Good to have upgrades are: Veteran Instincts: Autothrusters, Push The Limit, Twin Laser Turret, Engine Upgrade, Crackshot, Predator,...

Anywho, Welcome to the community :P

You get 3 TIE Interceptors, you get 2 Defenders, you get two bombers, you get 5 TIE-Fighters, you get 2 TIE Advanced, you get two T-70 X-Wings, you get 3 or 4 T-65 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 3 Headhunters. I would say you get plenty of fillers for squad building. You might want sometimes to add an extra expansion here and there for specific lists, but you really are covered with a lot of two of this + one + one of this lists.

Yes, a few generic mini-swarms do not work out of the box with one of each and you might want to buy another one or two TIE-Fighter for a full TIE/LN swarm, but overall those few exceptions are minor in the grand picture of possible decks and even more minor in the picture of competive decks, maybe with the one single exception of brobots. You really want IG-2000 none or at least two of those. 

Getting the whole 9 yards is a very nice goal, but that would leave you with one ship of each (except offcourse the tie-fighter and x-wing plus the aces and most wanted sets) which DOES constrict your squad options a bit. The really good squads often contain the same ships. It really depends on your own style and likings. 

My style is doing whatever pops into my mind.  I like to learn by self-discovery and not by copying anyone else's discoveries.  I actually do my best to avoid learning about "proven" strategies.  Someone had to try those strategies before they knew they were good.  i.e. There are likely plenty of strategies that are just as good (or better) that simply haven't been discovered yet.  That's my view anyway.  May take longer, and result in a lot more losses, but it's more fun to be personally.  Each person is different in this regard though as you say.

You get 3 TIE Interceptors, you get 2 Defenders, you get two bombers, you get 5 TIE-Fighters, you get 2 TIE Advanced, you get two T-70 X-Wings, you get 3 or 4 T-65 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 3 Headhunters. I would say you get plenty of fillers for squad building. You might want sometimes to add an extra expansion here and there for specific lists, but you really are covered with a lot of two of this + one + one of this lists.

I know that TIE Fighters and TIE/FO Fighters aren't the same ship. But after buying 1 red core, 1 blue core, the TIE Fighter pack, the TIE/FO Fighter pack, and the Assault carrier pack, he will have 5 TIE Fighters and 3 TIE/FO Fighters.

That is 8 TIE fighters only from buying one of each. I don't know about other people, but I will be glad if no other expansion includes any more TIE Fighters...

Getting the whole 9 yards is a very nice goal, but that would leave you with one ship of each (except offcourse the tie-fighter and x-wing plus the aces and most wanted sets) which DOES constrict your squad options a bit. The really good squads often contain the same ships. It really depends on your own style and likings. 

My style is doing whatever pops into my mind.  I like to learn by self-discovery and not by copying anyone else's discoveries.  I actually do my best to avoid learning about "proven" strategies.  Someone had to try those strategies before they knew they were good.  i.e. There are likely plenty of strategies that are just as good (or better) that simply haven't been discovered yet.  That's my view anyway.  May take longer, and result in a lot more losses, but it's more fun to be personally.  Each person is different in this regard though as you say.

If it is the fun and casual flying you are after, then getting it all once might work out just fine for you!

Though for your very first purchase, pick a faction and buy a few of those, so you can at least build one varied 100pt. squad. Then after you can just buy all the rest and increase the fun :)

I also like to make my own squads and experiment with various combinations, it's more fun than those built-to-win meta's

I know that TIE Fighters and TIE/FO Fighters aren't the same ship. But after buying 1 red core, 1 blue core, the TIE Fighter pack, the TIE/FO Fighter pack, and the Assault carrier pack, he will have 5 TIE Fighters and 3 TIE/FO Fighters.

That is 8 TIE fighters only from buying one of each. I don't know about other people, but I will be glad if no other expansion includes any more TIE Fighters...

Standard TIEs? Yeah we got enough of them.

And FOs? They are imo useless without Juke and Comm Relay anyway, which means you get 3 TIE/FO and can only use Omega Leader once and nothing else, because FOs from the core set are overpriced and unter equipped garbage which only useful purpose is to be used either as proxies for good TIE-Fighters (TIE/LN) or with at least with a proxy Omega Leader in cases people did not bother to actually buy the decent TIE/fo expansion.

Oh and I did forget in my list:

2 B-Wings and 2 A-Wings.  :)

Edited by SEApocalypse