Sign in to follow this  
Ailowynn

Be Excellent to Each Other

I want to co-opt "Fly Casual" to mean "You should fly casual games of X-wing, not 100 pt tournament mode".  :)

You might as well. I have a feeling that attempts to use it in its (presumed) original meaning are going to be especially hollow after hothie's "you people are not flying casual!" rage-out.

I will be excellent to all my opponents because they are human beings worthy of a basic level of respect and courteousy until they do something I see as morally not excellent in which case I will hold personal judgement to them that I won't feel the need to attack them about or divulge publicly, because how I feel about them is my deal and no one else's. 

I will also expect them to fly excellent as I fly excellent but give a chance if they are stressed or overwhelmed and might need a reminder or two on how to excellently work with their list.

I think it's excellent that you guys are doing this totally rad post about how bogus personal attacks are and how players might learn to interact in a bodacious way. 

Edited by CheapCreep

That's the family friendly version, the grown-up version is "Don't be a ****".

Really... that's masked?  Well it starts with a "D" and rhymes with lick.

Edited by slowreflex

I want to co-opt "Fly Casual" to mean "You should fly casual games of X-wing, not 100 pt tournament mode".   :)

You might as well. I have a feeling that attempts to use it in its (presumed) original meaning are going to be especially hollow after hothie's "you people are not flying casual!" rage-out.

Yeah, pretty much this. Fly Casual is getting to mixed up in too many things, and hothie -- the great proponent of Fly Casual -- has not really been helping with all of the . . . slander.

So yeah. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. Flying casual gets mixed up in a lot of rubbish, when the whole sentiment is just to ensure that everyone is having fun.

Maybe I missed something, but what gives?

You want the long version, or the short version? Basically a bunch of arguments blew up over intentional draws, leading to no small amount of personal attacks -- much of it based on people's sentiment that taking an intentional draw is fundamentally anti-Fly Casual.

You want the long version, or the short version? Basically a bunch of arguments blew up over intentional draws, leading to no small amount of personal attacks -- much of it based on people's sentiment that taking an intentional draw is fundamentally anti-Fly Casual.

In all fairness I think most people are unhappy with the ID rules and their implementation more than the players themselves (I'm in that camp).  Granted, there were a number (too many) personal disparagements thrown around as a result of the Roanoke Incident - but those were actually pretty small in number (not making excuses for the naysayers) compared to the number of players unhappy with the rules as they are.

In all fairness I think most people are unhappy with the ID rules and their implementation more than the players themselves (I'm in that camp).  Granted, there were a number (too many) personal disparagements thrown around as a result of the Roanoke Incident - but those were actually pretty small in number (not making excuses for the naysayers) compared to the number of players unhappy with the rules as they are.

Absolutely. And I want to encourage the former -- get angry at the game, if you want, but not at the players. There may not be a whole lot of hate, but it's a lot louder than anything else.

That's the family friendly version, the grown-up version is "Don't be a ****".

Really... that's masked?  Well it starts with a "D" and rhymes with lick.

You can say ***** with impunity.

How should we discuss the Scimitar Assault Bomber otherwise? Important Star Wars related vocabulary.

I try to do this in games.

The problem is when my opponent or someone observing the game considers denying a missed trigger to be impoliteness and responds with anger or insults.

It would depend on if its a casual game or a tournament setting. I have made mistakes with the dial when I was still learning, like 4 games into the system. my opponent didnt let me do what I meant to do, it was obvious what I meant to do. It set the tone for the rest of the match, which really annoyed me as I didnt want to play that way, but I wasnt going to let them off if they made a mistake. *** for Tat and all that.