Sign in to follow this  
keschnell

Painted Imperial figures

If anyone is on the fence, painting these minis is a lot faster than Imperial Assault. You can just do base coats, drybrushing, and washes and make it look nice fast enough.  For the storm troopers I just primed white, did a black wash and touched up a few black details on the mouth and eyes plus retouched some white.

I think the only thing that will be really tough to paint will be the Rebel Troopers.QGDgBzQ.jpg

Edited by keschnell

Thanks.  I'll see if I can post close-ups later.  It's always a little hard with only a cell phone camera at night.

As far as colors/methods:

I primed everything black except the stormtroopers (actually, I did prime them black and tried drybrushing white and didn't like the effect, so I reprimed the troopers white). I googled a lot of the ship and vehicle photos for the Imperials and noticed that some photos had more of a gray tone, while others had a bluish gray or even purplish gray look to them. So I mixed up the colors a little bit (adding a bit of blue or purple to the gray) to add variety to base colors for the death stars, (super) star destroyers, AT-STs, AT-ATs, and imperial assault carriers. I then did some drybrushing of lighter gray. Not shown--I painted the exhausts on the star destroyers light blue with whitish blue centers. As far as the stormtroopers I used a black wash over the white primer to give it a worn look and also to do a lot of the work for me by filling in where black is on the suits (painting tiny black lines everywhere would have been painful and not looked great). Then I just touched up the black lines with a fine detail brush (in the mouth eyes, and under the chin mostly) and then lightly brushed white on some of the highlighted parts so the troopers weren't THAT dirty. Then I based everything to give it some variety (I prefer basing if it makes sense), some with indoor floors and others with outdoor terrain, since they are going to travel to a variety of planets.

For the stormtroopers, I washed the entire mini, which mostly took care of all black lines I needed to do.  Then I just retouched some of the white.  These minis are so small that details aren't nearly as plentiful as in a larger scale like Imperial Assault.

These look SOO GOOD.  I have never painted a miniature before, but after seeing these I started watching how-to paint mini's videos on YouTube.  Gonna invest in some supplies and take up a new hobby!  Looking forward to seeing the Rebel figs.

Thanks for the compliments.  I posted the entire painted set in this thread:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/217907-completed-star-wars-rebellion-miniatures/

I did lightly wash the ships and Death Stars, although the heaviest washes were with the stormtroopers.  I tried varying the colors a bit so some of them have a more bluish or purplish tone to match colors I saw in online images.