Sign in to follow this  
NorseJedi

Scum Aces in Wave 9! (Alex and Frank - please read)

Firespray isn't amazing, but I wouldn't call it border-line useless.

Boba and Kath can both be flown at PS9. Both of them- when flown properly- get a 4 die primary. And if you are flying Boba properly, you also get a free Predator.

Boba- because of his ability and rear arc- can be built to tot care about stress. That means adding Zuckuss will be _very_ painful for your opponent.

Kath? She prefers to fire out the rear arc. She _has_ a rear arc. You know what can use a rear arc as well as a primary arc? Tactician.

And, of course, both pilots love Glitterstim.

Borderline useless? Not even a bit.

I know you may be reading these

They aren't.

here's some unsolicited ideas from a S&V aficionado.

aaaaaand this is why.

The legal departments of most major game companies prevent their R&D people from reading any unsolicited material. There are a number of reasons, most notably including copyright issues (do you own the idea or do they?) and licensing issues (Disney/LFL has to approve everything they do). Quite simply, no one directly involved with game design is likely to read this thread and even if they do, they won't be able to take any of your suggestions.

They are game designers, of course they follow the forums and mind player feedback. 

If you have a great idea, it might "inspire" the devs. Or maybe they will release something similar, as just "coincidence". 

They might look at the forums and I'm sure they look at feedback about what they have already released. They do not look at fan-created ideas for future products to release. They just don't.

This is both general practice in the game-design industry and specific to FFG.

It's general industry practice because if a person posts an idea online and the game developers see it and then later release a similar product, the original poster can claim ownership of the idea and have a decent case in court due to the time stamp on the post. Game companies don't want that to be possible, so their legal defense is that they don't allow game developers to look at fan-created ideas. They have plausible deniability by saying it's just a coincidence.

It's specific to FFG because I've literally spoken to someone from the company who told me the game designers specifically don't read forum posts about product ideas.

As far as your link to the Bomber/Defender expansion idea - that absolutely is a coincidence. The Imperial Veterans pack was certainly well underway, if not completely finished, before that post was made. FFG designs their products many months in advance. For reference, Wave 9 has been completely finalized and they haven't even made an official announcement of its existence yet.

I'm not trying to squash cool idea - I come up with my own ship, pilot, and upgrade ideas all the time! I just want to make sure people are realistic about it. Posting your ideas for other players to see them is great. Expecting that the game developers will see your ideas and actually make them is misguided.

Edited by RedSam

Scum Epic Ship: The Xiytiar Transport! http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Xiytiar-class_transport

It's not the epic ship we want, but it's the one we deserve.

I want the Wilde Kardde! With a nice Headhunter model and a Mara Jade Pilot Card :P 

Aces and Veterans have historically fallen outside of waves.

But we are already expecting a veterans set, so it will be between 9 and 10 perhaps, probably after 10.

Star Viper and M3-A are most likely candidates for sure far an aces.  There could be a couple pilots thrown in for Scum Falcon which would be very cool.

Scum Falcon and Scum YT-2400 ! Yes! 

They aren't.

aaaaaand this is why.

The legal departments of most major game companies prevent their R&D people from reading any unsolicited material. There are a number of reasons, most notably including copyright issues (do you own the idea or do they?) and licensing issues (Disney/LFL has to approve everything they do). Quite simply, no one directly involved with game design is likely to read this thread and even if they do, they won't be able to take any of your suggestions.

They are game designers, of course they follow the forums and mind player feedback. 

If you have a great idea, it might "inspire" the devs. Or maybe they will release something similar, as just "coincidence". 

They might look at the forums and I'm sure they look at feedback about what they have already released. They do not look at fan-created ideas for future products to release. They just don't.

This is both general practice in the game-design industry and specific to FFG.

It's general industry practice because if a person posts an idea online and the game developers see it and then later release a similar product, the original poster can claim ownership of the idea and have a decent case in court due to the time stamp on the post. Game companies don't want that to be possible, so their legal defense is that they don't allow game developers to look at fan-created ideas. They have plausible deniability by saying it's just a coincidence.

It's specific to FFG because I've literally spoken to someone from the company who told me the game designers specifically don't read forum posts about product ideas.

As far as your link to the Bomber/Defender expansion idea - that absolutely is a coincidence. The Imperial Veterans pack was certainly well underway, if not completely finished, before that post was made. FFG designs their products many months in advance. For reference, Wave 9 has been completely finalized and they haven't even made an official announcement of its existence yet.

I'm not trying to squash cool idea - I come up with my own ship, pilot, and upgrade ideas all the time! I just want to make sure people are realistic about it. Posting your ideas for other players to see them is great. Expecting that the game developers will see your ideas and actually make them is misguided.

You overestimate ideas. An idea, if not applied (or patented), has no owner and worths nothing.

No one can trademark a custom X-Wing Miniature game card or idea. 

FFG can use what they want - it's their game. If they happen to release the Assault Gunboat or the TIE/sf with these exact same stats/abilities, they own me nothing. 

PS: and sure, they will say "don't send us suggestions". But they are not disconnected from the community, isolated in a high tower of game designing omnipotence. Trust me, the gods are watching. ;)

Edited by Odanan

You overestimate ideas. An idea, if not applied (or patented), has no owner and worths nothing.

FFG can use what they want - it's their game. If they happen to release the Assault Gunboat or the TIE/sf with these exact same stats/abilities, they own me nothing. 

PS: and sure, they will say "don't send us suggestions". But they are not disconnected from the community, isolated in a high tower of game designing omnipotence. Trust me, the gods are watching. ;)

That's actually not exactly true. In the US, at least, published ideas generally have a one-year grace period in which they cannot be used by another party even if they have not been patented. The idea that anyone can steal your ideas and use them is actually only true if you *don't* publish them publicly. Once it's been published, you have the legal right to say "look, I came up with this idea first and here's the published proof."

Trademarking isn't really relevant here. A registered trademark protects things like names and logos. Game idea would fall under copyright, which does not need to be registered in any way. As soon as you publish something in a public place, you have the copyright over that thing (unless you expressly agree to give up that right).

I haven't looked into FFG as closely, but to give an example, here's an excerpt from the Wizards of the Coast terms of service page:

11. Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy. NEITHER WIZARDS NOR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES ACCEPTS OR CONSIDERS UNSOLICITED MATERIALS PROVIDED TO WIZARDS REGARDING THE SITES, THE SITE CONTENT, WIZARDS, OR THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES OF WIZARDS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, PLANS, NOTES, DRAWINGS OR OTHER ARTWORK, DEMOS, PROTOTYPES, SAMPLES, ORIGINAL OR CREATIVE MATERIALS, OR SIMILAR INFORMATION (COLLECTIVELY, "SUBMISSIONS"). PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY SUBMISSIONS TO WIZARDS OR ANYONE AT WIZARDS. IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THIS DIRECTION AND SEND A SUBMISSION TO US, WIZARDS WILL NOT TREAT YOUR SUBMISSIONS AS CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY AND MAY DISCLOSE YOUR SUBMISSIONS TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY, WHETHER PUBLICLY OR PRIVATELY. WITH RESPECT TO ANY SUCH SUBMISSIONS YOU PROVIDE THAT WIZARDS ACCEPTS INADVERTENTLY OR OTHERWISE CONTRARY TO THE ABOVE POLICY, YOU HEREBY GRANT AN IRREVOCABLE, NONEXCLUSIVE, PERPETUAL, WORLDWIDE, ROYALTY-FREE AND FULLY SUB-LICENSABLE LICENSE TO USE, PRACTICE, MAKE, HAVE MADE, REPRODUCE, MODIFY, ADAPT, PUBLISH, TRANSLATE, CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS FROM, DISTRIBUTE, PERFORM, AND DISPLAY YOUR SUBMISSIONS AND THE INVENTIONS EMBODIED THEREIN FOR ANY COMMERCIAL OR OTHER PURPOSE, WITHOUT ACKNOWLEDGMENT OR COMPENSATION TO YOU.

If unsolicited game ideas held no legal ownership, they would not feel the need to add this to their ToS document - especially not in full caps (I didn't add that emphasis). You can see the source here: http://company.wizards.com/policies/web/tou

The game designers at WotC repeatedly state that they are not allowed to look at unsolicited ideas and that this is prohibited by their own legal department to prevent any copyright issues.

Yes, Fantasy Flight is a different company, but if these kind of laws apply to and are taken that seriously by one company, it's pretty likely that the same laws apply to another company in the same industry.

One thing is that only those fixes for the ships mentioned above is not enough to fix them. Scum has now similar amount of ships than rebels and imperium, buy when you are looking the pilots, scum is lacking in them badly!

So I am hoping that Scum Aces and hopefully one day Scum Veterans would add more pilots for especially to StarViper, M3-A and some others too, maybe Kihraxz, but mostly the problem is with StarViper and M3-A.

I would love to see Scum Aces coming up on wave 9, but I doubt that a bit, hopefully they would get released in this year tho. But good thing is that finally Scums are very close to the same competitive level with other faction. Just more Ace pilots!

What comes to the Mist Hunter ship is that it's been out for such a short time that people are still finding the right builds and tactics for it! It is very good ship, but really it needs just good tactics to get over that one green dice..

What comes to Epic ships, I personally don't care that much, because there is things to be fixed before that.

Ps. I hope that YT2400 and YT1300 will stay rebel only, just because!

Y'all remember that designing a card, a single card, is a reward for winning worlds, right?

I mean, I enjoy throwing out random upgrade cards plenty, bit simply begging the designers to do it is a little bit nuts. ;)

*is so determined to fix the StarViper that he wins worlds just to design the card that will do it*

;)

I hope the Aces are the M3-A and HWK-290.

"Dirty Scyk" Interceptor

M3-A Interceptor Only. Title.

Your upgrade bar gains [illicit] icon.

Increase your Hull value by 1.

1 Point.

Reserve Battery

(Illicit)

At the end if the combat phase, if you have no Shield tokens, discard this card and receive 2 Ion tokens to increase your Shield value by 1.

2 Points.

Extra Stash

Scum Only. (Modification)

Your upgrade bar gains [illicit] icon. You cannot equip two of the same Illicit upgrades.

2 Points

"Steel Pecker"

HWK-290 Only. Title.

Increase your Attack value by 1.

1 Point.

That's actually not exactly true. In the US, at least, published ideas generally have a one-year grace period in which they cannot be used by another party even if they have not been patented. The idea that anyone can steal your ideas and use them is actually only true if you *don't* publish them publicly. Once it's been published, you have the legal right to say "look, I came up with this idea first and here's the published proof."

Trademarking isn't really relevant here. A registered trademark protects things like names and logos. Game idea would fall under copyright, which does not need to be registered in any way. As soon as you publish something in a public place, you have the copyright over that thing (unless you expressly agree to give up that right).

I haven't looked into FFG as closely, but to give an example, here's an excerpt from the Wizards of the Coast terms of service page:

11. Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy. NEITHER WIZARDS NOR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES ACCEPTS OR CONSIDERS UNSOLICITED MATERIALS PROVIDED TO WIZARDS REGARDING THE SITES, THE SITE CONTENT, WIZARDS, OR THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES OF WIZARDS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, PLANS, NOTES, DRAWINGS OR OTHER ARTWORK, DEMOS, PROTOTYPES, SAMPLES, ORIGINAL OR CREATIVE MATERIALS, OR SIMILAR INFORMATION (COLLECTIVELY, "SUBMISSIONS"). PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY SUBMISSIONS TO WIZARDS OR ANYONE AT WIZARDS. IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THIS DIRECTION AND SEND A SUBMISSION TO US, WIZARDS WILL NOT TREAT YOUR SUBMISSIONS AS CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY AND MAY DISCLOSE YOUR SUBMISSIONS TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY, WHETHER PUBLICLY OR PRIVATELY. WITH RESPECT TO ANY SUCH SUBMISSIONS YOU PROVIDE THAT WIZARDS ACCEPTS INADVERTENTLY OR OTHERWISE CONTRARY TO THE ABOVE POLICY, YOU HEREBY GRANT AN IRREVOCABLE, NONEXCLUSIVE, PERPETUAL, WORLDWIDE, ROYALTY-FREE AND FULLY SUB-LICENSABLE LICENSE TO USE, PRACTICE, MAKE, HAVE MADE, REPRODUCE, MODIFY, ADAPT, PUBLISH, TRANSLATE, CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS FROM, DISTRIBUTE, PERFORM, AND DISPLAY YOUR SUBMISSIONS AND THE INVENTIONS EMBODIED THEREIN FOR ANY COMMERCIAL OR OTHER PURPOSE, WITHOUT ACKNOWLEDGMENT OR COMPENSATION TO YOU.

If unsolicited game ideas held no legal ownership, they would not feel the need to add this to their ToS document - especially not in full caps (I didn't add that emphasis). You can see the source here: http://company.wizards.com/policies/web/tou

The game designers at WotC repeatedly state that they are not allowed to look at unsolicited ideas and that this is prohibited by their own legal department to prevent any copyright issues.

Yes, Fantasy Flight is a different company, but if these kind of laws apply to and are taken that seriously by one company, it's pretty likely that the same laws apply to another company in the same industry.

Are you saying that, if I post here any custom card and if FFG later adds something similar I can sue them? Because I did a LOT of custom cards and some will eventually coincide with what the FFG devs add to the game.

When you say publish, I don't think any of the custom stuff here in the forums apply. I have no right to publish anything about this game.

The thing is that StatViper has very nice dial, good red dice, good green dice, actions are not horrible either and their overall hit points are decent. Main issue is pretty much their price tag and lack of pilots. I would like to see honestly tittle that would shave points off and add something to the ship, maybe illicit, EPT or System upgrade! Pilot with free evade action or something like that or more creative would be great. There should be one Ace with skill 9 and one with skill 6 to get that variety going too. Princes skill is so dominating that there is not really many ways to build squad with him. Guri is awesome except that his skill is just 5 and it really sucks! Otherwise it is **** good.

The M3-A is a bit harder because they have a tittle already and that is pretty crucial to the ship in a way, but maybe just shaving off points would be enough in similar manner tham A-wing has and would like to get few good ACEs too, maybe another with skill 8..

I am happy that wave 8 really did so good for Scums! I love JumpMaster, so many good ways to build it, cheap and full loaded expensive ones.

Just like Alex said about X-Wing being much more than just dice game, skill really matters a lot! Every squad needs their specific style of tactics. I have seen so much complaining about Kihraxz and Yv-666, but those are one of my favorite ships and I have come to 4th place with five generic Kihraxz and 3dr place with squad with Bossk.

Yv-666 has a place and is good ship for some lists. I have 2 of them.

Cobra is great. Running all generic Kihraxz is eh kinda ok.  Overall Kihraxz is good ship that needs better pilots who are priced better.

M3-A flat out sucks.  Star Viper just isnt good enough for the points needs a boost.

They aren't.

aaaaaand this is why.

Haha, first time seeing this. Wow, what a coincidence.. 

Don't worry, the fixes for the Starviper, M3-A and the Kihraxz will come in the Scum Epic ship. It will make Palpy look like a piker.

Good point, and I hope they include a multi-crew slot Jabba! I'd love to stick him on a Slaver and have the scum eqilibrator of the Palpmobile!

He is so large he will only fit on the 666 with 3 crew slots.

Don't worry, the fixes for the Starviper, M3-A and the Kihraxz will come in the Scum Epic ship. It will make Palpy look like a piker.

Good point, and I hope they include a multi-crew slot Jabba! I'd love to stick him on a Slaver and have the scum eqilibrator of the Palpmobile!

I could totally see that, but then he would have to have a ludicrously awesome ability to justify 3 slots. What would it be....?

My vote is still for 2 crew slots, but I think he should:

1. Discard one astromech per face up damage card you dealt to an enemy ship. Or...

2. At the end of activation phase, you may place a thermal detonator token behind one enemy ship at range one. (This has some scummy risk of damaging youself). Or...

3. Death mark: At the start of the first round, choose 1 enemy small or large ship. When attacking that ship, you may change 1 of your results to a crit. (A scum parallel to Agent Kallus)

I like #3 or #2 best since the empire doesn't have droids.

I could totally see that, but then he would have to have a ludicrously awesome ability to justify 3 slots. What would it be....?

1. Discard one astromech per face up damage card you dealt to an enemy ship. Or...

2. At the end of activation phase, you may place a thermal detonator token behind one enemy ship at range one. (This has some scummy risk of damaging youself). Or...

3. Death mark: At the start of the first round, choose 1 enemy small or large ship. When attacking that ship, you may change 1 of your results to a crit. (A scum parallel to Agent Kallus)

My favorite jabba crew ability idea is still "Once per round, after a friendly ship discards an Illicit upgrade card, flip that card face-up." (or reword however they might reword tomax now that you don'tj ust flip cards when discarding them)

My favorite jabba crew ability idea is still "Once per round, after a friendly ship discards an Illicit upgrade card, flip that card face-up." (or reword however they might reword tomax now that you don'tj ust flip cards when discarding them)

I almost wish it didn't have the once per round thing. Or, perhaps, that it was regenerating once per round, but could be spent previously: That way your whole band can shoot off their Inertial Dampers in one turn, but they still only recover one per round afterwards.

I say this because the Emperor has a bit of an odd pressure - you want him in a list with fewer ships, because he can only be used once a turn. I'd rather Scum was more amenable to miniswarm stuff, and not punishing you for using two illicits in a single turn (instead of one per turn, and only one per turn) would be helpful accordingly.

I mean, the fact that he'll show up on a 29pt Slaver (ie: The entire price of the Palpmobile to begin with) will be pushing lists towards two-ship builds as it is, and we don't want to encourage that even more, y'know?

Edited by Reiver

I almost wish it didn't have the once per round thing. Or, perhaps, that it was regenerating once per round, but could be spent previously: That way your whole band can shoot off their Inertial Dampers in one turn, but they still only recover one per round afterwards.

I say this because the Emperor has a bit of an odd pressure - you want him in a list with fewer ships, because he can only be used once a turn. I'd rather Scum was more amenable to miniswarm stuff, and not punishing you for using two illicits in a single turn (instead of one per turn, and only one per turn) would be helpful accordingly.

I mean, the fact that he'll show up on a 29pt Slaver (ie: The entire price of the Palpmobile to begin with) will be pushing lists towards two-ship builds as it is, and we don't want to encourage that even more, y'know?

Could easily be changed to "Once per round, you may flip an Illicit upgrade card face-up".

They aren't.

aaaaaand this is why.

That's not true actually. Alex Davy and Frank Brooks have stated in several interviews that they read the forums, and even praised Millennium Falsehood's repaints. As for game design ideas, I've seen several ideas suggested by forum members (myself included) turn up in the game, albeit not exactly the same, but extremely close. And why shouldn't they do that, these forums provide insight into what the players want and think the game needs. I seriously doubt there could be any legal issues since we all had to agree to terms of use, and none of us are copyrighting our idea before we post them.

Here's a few ideas I was working on recently (which will probably get ignored as people argue my previous paragraph, lol):

* Stolen Astromech

Scum only. Small ship only.

"Your upgrade bar gains the (Rebel Astromech) upgrade icon. You cannot equip unique astromechs."

Slot: Salvaged Astromech

Cost: 1

Hardwired Astromech

Small ship only.

"Your upgrade bar gains the (Salvaged Astromech) upgrade icon. Treat equipped Salvaged Astromech as unique."

Slot: Illicit

Cost: 1

* Engine Thrusters

Small ship only.

"After you perform an action you may perform a free Boost action, and receive 1 stress token. Then roll one attack die, on a (hit) result receive 1 stress token, on a (crit) result discard this card."

Slot: Illicit

Cost: 2

* Enhanced Shield System

Small ship only.

Side 1:

"When defending, you may cancel one of the attackers dice results. Then flip this card over. You cannot equip this card if your shield value is 2 or higher"

Side 2:

"Action: Recover 1 shield (up to your shield value), then discard this card.

Slot: Modification (Dual Upgrade)

Cost: 3

Edited by Radarman5