Sign in to follow this  
Deathseed

Yet More Questions Regarding Abhoth

I love the AO, and his theme, but his implementation seems a bit sloppy in my opinion. So I have questions regarding his sheet and its wording.

1) Abhoth's cultist effect says you draw and resolve a "Spawn of Abhoth" special encounter but there are also "Deep Caverns" cards in Abhoth's Special Encounters deck? Are these kept separate? Do you draw only Spawn of Abhoth cards, or do you shuffle the entire Special Encounters deck as usual (both Deep Caverns and Spawn of Abhoth) and just draw whatever you draw from it (be it Deep Caverns or Spawn of Abhoth)?

2) Abhoth Awakens: It says, "Then spawn all but 3 Cultist Monsters from this sheet, each on a Wilderness space that does not contain a Cultist Monster." This leads to two questions. When it says, "from this sheet" is it referring to the pool of 8 Cultist Monsters that the Setup rules have you set aside? Also, is the Wilderness space in question randomized or chosen by the Lead Investigator?

It also refers to Cultist Monsters "on this sheet" under The Source of Uncleanliness, is that also referring to the 8 set aside cultist monsters from Setup?

For (1): You draw just from the "Spawn of Abhoth" special encounter cards.  The  "Deep Caverns" encounter cards are only for use with the associated Mystery.  Abhoth is not the only AO with multiple special encounters sets (e.g. Yog Sothoth has "Key and the Gate" as well as "The Void between the World" special encounters).

For (2): Yes "From this sheet" refers to the Abhoths sheet where you initially set aside 8 cultist monsters.  (Not sure what other sheet it could be referring to.)  As the directions don't explicitly call out "random wilderness location", it's been my opinion with that you are free to select.  

Last, regarding "The Source of Uncleanliness" reference - I've assumed it's also referring to the 8 set aside cultist monsters as nothing else seems to make sense.

For (1): You draw just from the "Spawn of Abhoth" special encounter cards.  The  "Deep Caverns" encounter cards are only for use with the associated Mystery.  Abhoth is not the only AO with multiple special encounters sets (e.g. Yog Sothoth has "Key and the Gate" as well as "The Void between the World" special encounters).

For (2): Yes "From this sheet" refers to the Abhoths sheet where you initially set aside 8 cultist monsters.  (Not sure what other sheet it could be referring to.)  As the directions don't explicitly call out "random wilderness location", it's been my opinion with that you are free to select.  

Last, regarding "The Source of Uncleanliness" reference - I've assumed it's also referring to the 8 set aside cultist monsters as nothing else seems to make sense.

Aye, straight from FFG:

During setup, players should separate the card decks by unique back as instructed in the Rulebook. This includes separating the Special Encounters by unique back. This is true for any Ancient One. For Abhoth, this means the Spawn of Abhoth Special Encounters and Deep Caverns Special Encounter cards will be separated into two decks.

When an effect on the Ancient One sheet refers to a Monster token “on this sheet” or “from this sheet” it is referring to the Monster tokens that are set aside.

The Wilderness space is chosen by the Lead Investigator.