Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

Other things that are technically legal but MIGHT be shady....are they shady?

Lets get all the grievances aired and over with so we can move on to the feats of strength and other festivus activities.

point 1-

taking two lists to a store tournament...walking around and seeing what other people brought, then picking your list and locking in for the day.

shady?    

I don`t know...

point 2-  

switching to a different list is not the same as `tweaking` a list.

plan of action.......just fill out your squad sheet,turn it in and leave your stuff in a box until its time to play the first round and nobody needs to worry about some dude scoping out the action and going back to his car to get the list tht counters the days `metawhatevah`

problem solved...

NEXT!?!?! 

Isn't this the basis for Hangar Bay?

This would be "hangar baying" when there is no hangar bay. Basically, one person decides to change their list last minute after seeing what everyone else is flying, and no one else is able to change their list since they've already submitted their list. To me, it's an obvious unfair advantage and it's unethical to take it. My thoughts are in the reflections on the Roanoke top 8 thread if anyone wants to read my thoughts.

Isn't this the basis for Hangar Bay?

i dont know, not familiar with it. thats the `bring two lists and the opponent picks one for you to fly`?

I'm not sure either but it is better to do the "bring two lists and see your opponent's two lists and then decides which of your lists you are going to fly."

If you want very shady but apparently perfectly legal I'd say that deliberately "skipping over" any triggers without getting verification that they are deliberately being skipped.

or you can be super sneaky and have on full display a list that you are NOT flying.... then just before the game you get the list you are actually using.. The one that actually matches what you turned into the store T.O..  

I am probably too lazy to go to this much trouble but I love the idea of it.  

Greatest application ever would be to hollow out a Ghost and hide your five A-wing list inside it.

or you can be super sneaky and have on full display a list that you are NOT flying.... then just before the game you get the list you are actually using.. The one that actually matches what you turned into the store T.O..  

I am probably too lazy to go to this much trouble but I love the idea of it.  

Greatest application ever would be to hollow out a Ghost and hide your five A-wing list inside it.

Isn't the Ghost dying so A-wings might live the opposite of what's meant to happen?

My thoughts, along with Kdubb's and ObiWonka's are in that same thread. I suppose we now have a more appropriate location to continue now.

I think the potential benefits of doing your own private "hangar bay" switcheroo are vanishingly small when you consider the role of chance in being assigned your pairings.

Plus, the detriment you do to yourself in making a last minute switch to the list you went to bed thinking about, combined with the inevitable second guessing you will saddle yourself with as things start to go pear-shaped, make it a worse idea for yourself than whatever unfair advantage you may technically be getting.

A decent rule would be that to gain entry to the venue, you have to turn in your list at the door.

My thoughts, along with Kdubb's and ObiWonka's are in that same thread. I suppose we now have a more appropriate location to continue now.

I think the potential benefits of doing your own private "hangar bay" switcheroo are vanishingly small when you consider the role of chance in being assigned your pairings.

Plus, the detriment you do to yourself in making a last minute switch to the list you went to bed thinking about, combined with the inevitable second guessing you will saddle yourself with as things start to go pear-shaped, make it a worse idea for yourself than whatever unfair advantage you may technically be getting.

A decent rule would be that to gain entry to the venue, you have to turn in your list at the door.

THIS. makes sense as a easy fix. 

I brought two lists to my last SC....and sweated over wich one to use for the day the ENTIRE DRIVE THERE. 

I sat in the car when i got there and made up my mind. THEN walked inside with it. 

I sat down and started laying out my cards and obstacles to fill out the sheet then realsised that wave 8 had come out two days earlier, and I cold now use adaptability instead of VI.  I did make that `tweak` in order to make a crew change on my other ship.

then filled  it out and turned it in.

I am pretty sure i was not shady, My decision was based on remembering new material was available. not what was on tables around me. 

in hindsight....maybe i should have used the other list. (looking back at how my day matched up)

but I have no regrets.

Flying 4 TLTs is legal and shady. Flying palp aces or palp mini-swarm is legal and shady. Flying triple toilet seats is legal and shady.

Accept that I pretty much rolled over two of these lists this weekend at one of the larger CAC tournaments (UBoats and palp aces) and the only list that truly beat me was a brobots list.

Edited by Sephlar

Done it.

Do you NOT have to have your list submitted before an event starts, reguardless of bye or whatnot? Thought that was the case.....

sort of.... you have to have it registered before the event itself begins. But theres like an hour or so where the door is open...people are setting up. going through their stuff. so one could walk into the room. take a stroll around and see what everyone is using....THEN go to the registration table and register a squad. so bringing a few choices and having them in the car or whatever beforehand.

In all honesty...this is one of those....who cares kind of things.. Im sure people do it. It IS shady...it is LEGAL....it has countermasures if someone is REALLY that concerned about it ( see some of the above options).  I carry my squad around in a closed box. not for this reason, but i guess it works as a little security blanket of secrecy for before the event begins.but i open it early and set up stuff anyways.

I like the calm before the storm of squads being put together. its fun to look around and see the different paint jobs and get a peek at whats going to be there for the day.

I can`t see myself doing that and then deciding to quick pick a list thats stronger against what ive seen. to me its past that point...by that ...eh...point.

Do you NOT have to have your list submitted before an event starts, reguardless of bye or whatnot? Thought that was the case.....

Most places have about an hour so for registration before the tournament starts. You could show up, hang out, scope out what everyone brought for 30-40 minutes before turning in your sheet.  I don't know that switching up lists will buy you much though.

I guess I could see having one list to use it if seems like half the crowd is running whatever the current forum boogeyman is (3xScouts these days, 4xTLT 3 months ago) and the squad you really want to fly if it looks like there's a normal distribution of stuff being played.