Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

Message to new players: this game is primarily CASUAL.not TOURNAMENT.

Make it a single malt scotch and I'll supply the pizza! An EBA, large.

Edited for grammar.

I find that based on the types of whiskey that is entered into tournaments in my area .....that any of the single malts younger than 12 years are typically overcosted by roughly 4 points. According to scotchsniffter 2.0 single malts start to earn their points cost by about the 15 year mark.

Make a single malt scotch and I'll supply the pizza! An EBA, large.

****, I can't drink, but that sounds good right now.

Not at all? That sucks. I have an occasional snort but my drink of choice is NUTTIN BUT coffee. NO cream, NO sugar, NO caffeine. NUTTIN but coffee.

Edited for grammar.

I find that based on the types of whiskey that is entered into tournaments in my area .....that any of the single malts younger than 12 years are typically overcosted by roughly 4 points. According to scotchsniffter 2.0 single malts start to earn their points cost by about the 15 year mark.

True but as you pointed most this is mostly casual so a young single malt is acceptable. Or Makers Mark will do if you want to step up from casual.

young single malts.........flavored vodka....... nut but coffee.....all are super competitive in my local meta. 

i don`t sweat whats in the mug, just whats on my mug. a sloppy grin sometimes contorted into a " now whats this dude thinking of doing this turn" type of smirk.

I am thinking about firing up a game night with all the fun.  super crazy good times galore formats. Anyone have ideas to turn the good times up to 11?

my first idea is ALL SHIPS get `expose` on their action bars.and ...only....expose.

Expose yourselves super naked funtimes format.

I would go so far as to say that tournaments should be similar in attitude to the kitchen table, save that official components are required and there hopefully won't be too many cats. But tournaments should just be fun games where you bring your best effort and try your skills against some really good players. Prizes are just a cool memento to remember the fun.

I would go so far as to say that tournaments should be similar in attitude to the kitchen table, save that official components are required and there hopefully won't be too many cats. But tournaments should just be fun games where you bring your best effort and try your skills against some really good players. Prizes are just a cool memento to remember the fun.

fortunately...they are! We can go to the tournaments and smile and kick ass and have ass kicked. its a blast!

Prizes and competition is all good. I mean that......it REALLY is good. it`s fun and lots of folks dig it. I just think it can be done better by ourselves. Look at this marek stele stuff. I mean as far as prizes and whatnot go.....its lightyears ahead of what the game company can do for the store tourneys and stuff. The game company can`t be dropping the sort of money on fancy pint glasses and high end artwork that a small group of folks can do on their own.

( I may be wrong, but i feel like the stele open event is kind of a privately organised thing open to the public but put together by fans of the game)

thats the kind of thing i can really get behind. people having fun doing it their own way.

anyways, i`m not saying the competitive scene is all busted and wrong and casual is where its at.

I`m trying to say `Do it your own way . make the game what you want it to be. and for new players comming into the game, hopefully you arent overly put off by recent events. do it your own way. it really doesnt matter whats going on in tournament land.it doesnt matter how they play in a faraway land. it really doesnt matter whatthe podcasts talk about. or if a fella named Paul matched his socks to his shoe laces or not. these people don`t lead me. they don`t lead you.

these people play x-wing. good for them. I play x-wing too. so do YOU.

we are all playing it the way we enjoy. its all good.

***Also, in order to avoid an overly koombaya, free love, lets hug and be friends kind of vibe...I would also like to note that I am better at this game than some other dude someplace. and.....whoop deeeeeeee do!  ****

Agreed.  95% of the people on the forums are competetive.  That's why they are here: to learn, talk strategy, compare 8===D size, etc.  Not that any of that is a bad thing.  It's fun for them and the casual players who come here get to learn good strategy too.  But it's too serious for a lot of casual players.  I think it may scare some away.

But I would say the competitive players only make up 5% of the entire playerbase.  So, that makes 95% of the entire x-wing population casual players.  Players new to the forums need to understand that the forums aren't a true and total representation of the game.

Stouts and Porters are the prefered drink in my house.

Casual players are probably the silent majority.  

Still, tournament play is really important for raising the profile of the game, and the balancing done with tournament play in mind also applies to casual play.  Balanced play is fun play, so that's a good thing.  

We do not fly casual. We ARE casual.

we ARE casual AND take Mr. Stele to the final table of SC. I believe to be the only one, worldwide :P

Btw, can confirm (from south europe) plastic toys and wine is a perfect mix.

epic thread @velvetelvis

I was going to like this thread until you repeatedly used the term "whiskey" when referring to Scotch.

WHISKY.

Cheers

Baaa

Edit: Even though you only did it once, this is the Internet and hyperbole rules.

I had a friend once who maintained that some Irish Whiskey (I forget which one) was in general better than than Scotch Whisky as it was tripled distilled.

I pointed out to him that if they can't get it right after 2 attempts they should give up.

Edited for grammar.

I usually fly with Wild Turkey but like all the best things, it's usually just a single point over what's allowed in dogfights.

Great post, home brew beer and cider is is the fuel for our casual flying down here in Stratfod NZ ;-)

Can't touch hard cider. Goes back 50+ years when I helped my uncle cleanup 6 gallons that had exploded in his basement. It was still "working" when it was bottled. I can still smell it. (Shudder)