Sign in to follow this  
sinclair5150

A Bad Rule, an Unfortunate Situation, and a Misguided Choice.... Reflections from a Roanoke Regional Top 8

Thanks for posting this. Don't beat yourself up about it. What's done is done, and one way or that other I'm sure FFG has "gotten the message".

That's also disappointing to hear about the NOVA [squadron Radio] guys. However, I stopped listening to them after hearing them talk about

• taking two builds to a tournament and only choosing which one to fly after seeing what everyone else was flying, multiple times
  • congratulating each other on "playing so well" when winning with said list
  • and using a coin-flip to determine the outcome of not one but two games in a row at a major event (nationals, I believe)

If there's an antithesis to Fly Casual, it's those guys.

Edited by ObiWonka

Bravo, sir!

It's mature posts like yours which will help the community move forward and keep this game fun in both the casual and competitive spheres. We don't all have to agree about any "controversies" around tournaments, but we do need to be civil and mature about them.

Thank you for this non-inflammatory post which may bring some much needed perspective to the weekend's events.

Can't like this enough.  Or keep this bumped enough!  Thanks for your account of things!

It may not mean anything, but myself and another podcaster had a similar situation about a year ago in store champs.  16 people, we were both 3-0.  We looked over everything and decided we'd like to go grab a bite to eat before the next round, so we drew.  The TO noted that mathmatically, it didn't matter anyway and let us (he also runs MTG tournaments in his store).  Nobody else was going to be cut out of the top 4 because of it.  Numerous people commented on how yeah, our standing made 0 difference in the top 4 cut.  And to this day I've regretted that decision and swore to never let it happen again.  Even if it had been the rule at the time, its still not a good rule.  And I have faced that podcaster again in a similar situation, this year at another store championship.  We were both the only 5-0's (I think) and drawing would have made 0 difference on the top 8.  We played it out.  Not phenominally, mind you, but we played it out.

You have learned from your decision, and I applaud you speaking out about it!  Thanks for letting FFG know in a non-obtrusive way about this as well.  Hopefully it will lead to better tournament decisions for them too!

Thanks for writing this and don't feel bad about it. You meant well, and much as I disagree with the rule and thing it encourages behavior that's absolutely against the spirit of the game, it puts weird pressure on people to act in that way. It would be better if we could all act against our own interest to do what we see as right, but that's unlikely to happen on its own. Personally I've tried to have just good old fun times even while being competitive, and I usually run into someone or other who makes me feel like a patsy for doing so. I'm having a hard time continuing to give people the benefit of the doubt anymore, so it makes sense that people who've played more would probably have had even more of those experiences. I guess the point is that people will usually do the self-interested thing, even if they don't want to, a prisoner's dilemma sort of scenario, so that's why fixing this rule is important. 

Thank you for your voice, I think ot will help many in the online community understand at least one of the top 8's reasoning for IDing. I don't approve of the reason personally, but I respect your candor for coming out and talking about it.

If the correct number of rounds was run based on attendance (5 in this case) we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Actually i'd like to see the end of round4 standings, because it might have just happened in round5 in that case...

Eric not making it to KY or ATL?

lolol.

every time something absolutely ridiculous happens involving sh*tty people its always from my home town of roanoke.

That city has some of the most vile and despicable people to ever exist.  (not implying OP is said despicable people)

If the correct number of rounds was run based on attendance (5 in this case) we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Actually i'd like to see the end of round4 standings, because it might have just happened in round5 in that case...

The correct number of rounds was used based on the starting numbers of 45.

lolol.

every time something absolutely ridiculous happens involving sh*tty people its always from my home town of roanoke.

That city has some of the most vile and despicable people to ever exist.  (not implying OP is said despicable people)

So, have you found a more wretched hive of scum and villainy?

I don't think protesting and taking advantage of a rule are mutually exclusive. Just because a few nova members were genuinely using a legal way to guarantee top 8 and do not feel bad about it doesn't mean they don't also see he move as a way to push FFG to reconsider.

Looks like i was looking at the old recommended number of rounds.

now 25 recommends 5 rounds, dang used to be 33 for 5 rounds

I don't think protesting and taking advantage of a rule are mutually exclusive. Just because a few nova members were genuinely using a legal way to guarantee top 8 and do not feel bad about it doesn't mean they don't also see he move as a way to push FFG to reconsider.

I think they, at least those that have spoken out,  have been pretty clear that protest was not their motive.

To add, I think a taking an action that is beneficial, especially one you would have taken anyway, as a protest is misguided at best.   I'm not faulting the OP for thinking that as he had only a couple of minutes, but they could have taken a different action if they'd want to send a better message.   Again, not that this was their job or should have been.

Looks like i was looking at the old recommended number of rounds.

now 25 recommends 5 rounds, dang used to be 33 for 5 rounds

It's basically set up so that all X-1s make the cut.