Sign in to follow this  
Kdubb

It's time to get back to enjoying... X-wing

This post is simple. And I would appreciate it if everyone who even takes a peek at this thread, for the sake of the community, takes the opportunity to reply. It doesn't have to be long, or funny, or clever, it just has to be positive and remind us of what really brought us altogether. So the question is simply this-

What do you love most about this game?

For me, I love it when I come up with a new build that works, but it has to be something I think no one else has ever thought of. Then, I slap it on the table against Brobots, or Palp Aces, or TLT spam, and somehow, I pull out a win. Sure, maybe I lose with it the next 4 games, but for that moment in time after that first game, I was the X-wing mastermind. I did the unthinkable and made the Scyk or ORS work. And let me tell you-it feels sooooo good.

So what about you?

Me? The arc dodgers. I know some people hate them but I love that aspect of the game, trying to predict where your opponent is going and outmaneuvering them. One of my favorite lists I ever made was 4 A-wings- Tycho, Jake, and two prototypes. I did okay with it, winning about half my games and losing half, but win or lose every game was a blast.

Fel's Wrath. And always pointing him out to my opponent. It messes with some of them so bad.. and when I pull off a win the look on their faces is priceless.

Man, any time I see Fel's Wrath on the table, I immediately think, "Either this guy is really really new to the game... Or... He's already won..." :lol:

I love the theme. I love it when the mechanics and the cards fit the theme perfectly (I'm actually going to be starting an article series about the theme in X-Wing). 

The theme (mostly) is always spot on in this game and when you have a close match with great moves is when that really shines and when this game is it's most fun. 

Flying my favorite ships.

Since I was a kid I've loved the Y-wing. In XWM, I've flown them since before they were "viable," before the title, and before TLT. I happily took 5 Ys (without turrets) to a tournament, and had a blast going 2-2.

This is the rare game that's also a good Star Wars experience.

I love when the game gets to the point where my opponent and I both have no idea what's going to happen next, and we're both busting out laughing over the ridiculous shenanigans occurring on the table. Last week it was my full health Jumpmaster against a half health whisper blocking her over debris after debris, but ultimately unable to do any damage with my dinky two dice turret. The last game of my first store championship ended with Arvel Crynyd chasing my mostly healthy IG-88B around the board before blowing up. Both those games stick with me because my opponent and I were just laughing and having fun the entire time, not caring in the end who won.

I love Epic! Or not even 'proper' Epic, just busting all the huge ships onto the table and having a blast. This weekend I played a 750 a side Epic match with four Epic ships on the table and it was awesome, it feels so much more 'Star Wars' than the tournament format games, I love it!

I love the trepidation as a new list that has you excited first hits the table.

I love the fact that, not once when I've been teaching the game to friends, have they ever had to look at a rule book.

I love the tournament format, it plugs into that competitive idiot part of me in such a hamless and fun way.

I love the way the game scales, from super serious to beer and pretzels, and works great any which way.

I love the game design that is elaborating a brilliant game from simple and elegant mechanics.

And yes, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I love flying Soontir Fel. There. I said it. ;)

Playing with my 9 year old son!  :) Taking him on in a space dog fight and see his excitement as he takes my TIE-fighters down. Even though sometimes I may let him...  ;)

This is it for me too! I play with my 5 year old and it is super awesome to me to watch him as he learns to play. And of course I love sharing this game with friends. I have gotten three different groups of friends into this game and have made more friends along the way. Very cool.

I've enjoyed learning about the lesser know ships, pilots and crew that FFG has put out. I had read a few books, but I really didn't know much about the Expanded Universe until some of these pieces came out.

The ships themselves are fantastic, I've used for X-Wing and for Edge of the Empire gaming as well. It's amusing when I bring out ships for the role playing game, and the players all stop to admire them. And, yes zoom them around making pew pew pew noises.

There's really so much to love in both this game and the community around it- I love the way the designers so lovingly incorporate the Star Wars theme in each ship, upgrade and crew card. I love recreating (or creating) thematic battles in a galaxy far, far away on my table, and watching as the table makes no narrative distinction. The heroes aren't protected by plot armor, and sometimes, Han Solo gets blown to pieces by Darth Vader. Every game reveals a scenario that could have played out, but in most cases never did.

To be fair, I liked Ep. VII, but playing this game feels more like going back to the Star Wars I've loved since I was a kid than that movie did.

Being my first miniatures game, I was very impressed at the ease of mechanics and how simple the list building structure is..everything seems to have a place in this game, but it's up to the individual to put together that puzzle, I'm not just talking about 100pt or Epic, if you have a favorite Star Wars ship with tons of open upgrade slots, you have the freedom to put whatever you want on your own custom spaceship. It's very complex however it can be as simple as putting a few models on a table and just going at it. That is why I love this game.