Sign in to follow this  
Trumpet

Victory antenna

Hello ,

I've just got this and on my first play today I noticed the victory antenna had a white spot on the top of it that stood out on further investigation by referencing ffg product page etc it does look like a bit of antenna is missing there's nothing in the packaging and it's only regonisable from the top.

It's nothing a bit of grey paint will not sort out but is this normal or has my victory got a bit missing.

Had good fun playing though didn't actually destroy any ships just squadrons got to get used to the speed of the ships as the victory ended up nearly of the table due to bad command decisions ( or dodgy radio contact due to possible damaged antenna)that's my excuse anyway.

Hello ,

I've just got this and on my first play today I noticed the victory antenna had a white spot on the top of it that stood out on further investigation by referencing ffg product page etc it does look like a bit of antenna is missing there's nothing in the packaging and it's only regonisable from the top.

It's nothing a bit of grey paint will not sort out but is this normal or has my victory got a bit missing.

Had good fun playing though didn't actually destroy any ships just squadrons got to get used to the speed of the ships as the victory ended up nearly of the table due to bad command decisions ( or dodgy radio contact due to possible damaged antenna)that's my excuse anyway.

Broken Victory antennae are very common.  I would compare your VSD to images you can find online to determine its condition.

Edited by archeonlotet

I broke mine as soon as it came out of the box. I substituted an antenna from a model aircraft kit but last week I broke it again so I need to find another replacement.

I think there are quite a few people that have had the same problem.

Could you post a picture of your suspected breakage so that we can help further? But yeah, the battle damage excuse can be useful sometimes, especially on an old class of ship like the VSD.

Mine still have antenna ( one was bent and nearly broken but I used a layer of wood glue to thicken it a little) but if they break I'll just grey in the resulting white spot, maybe trim it a bit first, they're outdated and old by the time that star wars ( IV and onwards) take place so just immagine instead of a straight antenna it was dammaged in battle or it got some sort of coms/sensor upgrade that removed the large exposed parts.

I think there are quite a few people that have had the same problem.

Could you post a picture of your suspected breakage so that we can help further? But yeah, the battle damage excuse can be useful sometimes, especially on an old class of ship like the VSD.

How do you post pictures on here?

Edited by Trumpet

How do you post pictures on here?

Eh?

Oh, upload them to Photobucket or Imgur and then link them in using the tag. Or, I copy the "Direct" link from Photobucket and then paste in using the "Image" button here.

I have made replacement antennae that look pretty good IMO. Maybe I'll post a picture later along with some basic instructions. To be honest I like them better than the original. And they're made of metal so they won't break again. :)

Here's what the replacement antennae I've made look like prior to finishing:

qdkjUdU.jpg

Start with a wire, cut a short piece of tubing that perfectly fits it, and glue it on in the right spot. Then take smaller wire and cut different lengths and carefully glue those on. The purpose was to make it look like an array of antennae like many of the images I was finding on the internet--not just one big antenna.

To remove the old antenna I used pliers to gently rock the old antenna until it came loose. Then I was able to glue the new antenna into the hole. The end result is very sturdy because it's made of metal. I've bumped them a couple of times, and one time I knocked it out of the hole (probably because I didn't glue it in well enough) but the antenna stayed intact, so it was easy to glue it back in.

Here's what the finished product looks like:

kSmndHz.png

If you're interested I could find the exact sizes on the wires and tubing that I used. Mind you, by the time I finished it may have cost me more than getting a new VSD  :o because I had to buy the tubing cutter, some new pliers, and several sizes of wire as I experimented.

@miferr: Good solution. Has the antennae drawn blood yet?

I did piano wire antennae on my old Flames of War tanks and managed to have one go in just enough to draw blood.

I also have been reminded of my first ever game of Warmaster (GW's 10mm Fantasy game) where I was so into the game I didn't realise my glasses were bending the spear tips of the store models.

Do yourself a favor and just let them break off.  There is no solution to this dilemma.

This is the correct solution. The antenna is a weakness. Weakness will not be tolerated. Cut off your antenna to please the emperor.

Cut off Little Bender? Are you kidding? 

Mine broke off while traveling. I didn't notice until after I drove 1500 miles. So...now it's just battle damage.

Edited by WhatsArmadaWithYou