Sign in to follow this  
droz69

Can we discuss the costing of the G-1A Starfighter?

Let's compare this to a B-Wing.  

B-Wing has the following slots:  2xtorp, cannon, system.  5s3h (8HP), 3 attack, 1 defense. Base cost is 22 for a Pilot Skill 2.  

G-1A has the following slots:  Crew, System, Illicit. 4s4h (8HP), 3 attack, 1 defense. Base cost is 23 for a Pilot Skill 3.           

Compare the dials of both, the G-1A has a better dial, hands down.

While the torp slots are considerably more useful at this point, basic overall cost, naked, is very much in the G-1A advantage.  I can't say I agree with the cost used for the G-1A, being only 1 more point than the B-Wing.  I'm beginning to thing the B-Wing maybe should either cost 2 points less, or 1 points less and the crew slot is free without using the modification slot (e3 should be a title).  Thoughts?  I was rather shocked at how versatile that G-1A dial us over the b-wing.  Both fighters are comprable to each other in every respect, imho.  Thoughts?

Welp, even better, you get a barrel-roll for 1 point, and the tractor beam, with the title on the G-1A, bringing it's cost to 24 even at it's basic form.  Still very low compared to the B-Wing, imho.  Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the ship, it's deadly.  I've had tons of fun with it, but I can't help but think that's it's severely undercosted compared to the b-wing.  On top of that, it has an evade action, something the B-Wing doesn't have, and can negate a single damage every turn with it whereas the b-wing would need to spend 3 points (e3 mod plus jan ors) to get an evade.  I also don't feel the 1 to 1 difference on the hitpoints is going to play into account enough.  Higher pilot skill, immensely better dial, crew, and a 1 point barrel-roll and tractor beam combo still make it a better ship, as the b-wing tuns into 23 points with the tractor beam, making it almost the same ship again.  

B-wing's got the 2 speed K-turn, which is pretty **** awesome.  The B-wing was already a little undercosted when it came out (hence it replaced the X-wing as the rebel's mainline 3-dice jouster) so I don't see it as being not good.

The Mist Hunter title (unique) is the only way that a G1-A can take a cannon, and then it can only take a very situational 1 point cannon that cant deal damage.  All B-wings can take any cannon

B-wing has 2 torp, system, and a cannon, giving it a lot more offensive versatility. And giving it a crew takes up the mod slot and a point.

G1A with the crew baked in and illicit has more role customization.

Plus, if you drop the B-wing price, you mess up the X-wing even more.

This has already been done. Yeah I find it funny so what is that extra point paying for? Well 1 more pilot skill but 3 is nothing to be impressed about. Maybe to make it better against all those skill 2 y-wings that we see now, but other than that I don't see much. The dial isn't that much better. Me personally I think the 2K on the B-wing is one of the best maneuvers out there. Having a second K-turn instead isn't that good especially when we now have all those s-loops and white reversals (Ello Astey, Jumpmaster). The evade actions is really good on a 1 agility ship (just take a look at the falcon) problem is now the meta has been shifted to beat up defensive tokens. If this came out in Wave 7 or 6 it would have been a much different story.

Yeah I don't know what makes it cost 1 more point. The crew I guess but the B-wing also has cannons that is not the tractor beam. I don't think it came in when the B-wing is dead but now thanks to TLT Y-wings all lists are designed to kill 8 hit points 1 agility so the G-1a entered a fight everyone was already skilled against. Kind of like taking TIE swarm to last year's worlds.

Edited by Marinealver

Bwing is a bit better jouster with the barrell roll and cannon. G-1A is a better support ship with native crew and evade. Once scum gets more and more crew, G-1A will become more useful, because of that evade, they can live longer with that support. A PS5 generic with an EPT for just 25pts aint bad either. Bwings dont have that!

Refreshing to see a thread that thinks the g1a is UNDERCOSTED compared to the bwigng instead of another saying its undercosted

So it is undercosted to a ship that cost LESS and performs worse than a B-wing? :blink: That's like saying the stats with 1 more hull for 1 less shield is better. :wacko:

Edited by Marinealver

One of many problems is that its competing against some really great ships, the U-boats, YV666, IG2000, Y-wing TLT, Z95's, firesprays, etc. The pilots are so so for the ability and cost. The crew however are underated. Every ship cannot be amazing in the final product of this game. I can't see FFG giving it anymore attention. They will boost the Starviper and Scum interceptor before the misthunter.

The G-1A is priced very competitively. It gets a lot of additional bonuses on the PS3 model for the 1 additional point that it's costed at, over the B-Wing. I think they couldn't possibly have priced it more aggressively without directly slapping B-Wings across the face. That said, it's a well designed jouster in a meta where 100pt lists can't afford to take high HP jousters of this kind.

.  Both fighters are comprable to each other in every respect, imho.  Thoughts?

Barrelroll+Advsensor, K-turn2 are B-wings bread and butter for knife fight.

G1-a lack them, trading them for +1 PS and evade action, both of which it needs not, entirely.

???

B-wing wins

B-wing works best as a generic.

Hunter works best as a unique.

If you're looking to spam or fill a list, the B-wing easily takes it, and if you're looking for an elite pilot, the Hunter wins, through customisation and two excellent pilot skills.

The G-1A is priced very competitively. It gets a lot of additional bonuses on the PS3 model for the 1 additional point that it's costed at, over the B-Wing. I think they couldn't possibly have priced it more aggressively without directly slapping B-Wings across the face. That said, it's a well designed jouster in a meta where 100pt lists can't afford to take high HP jousters of this kind.

It is not that the meta is designed against high hit point jousters, but it is designed against high hit point 1 agility jousters mainly the Y-wing. Again the 8 hit points is like wearing chainmail when you already know the opposing side has longbow archers with arrows known to go through chainmaial.