Sign in to follow this  
MajorJuggler

2016 Regionals Results

How many byes were used at greenfield?

From what I have seen second hand according to the instructions that come with the Regional kit, when determining the total player count for cut purposes, each 2 byes count as as one additional player for determining round and cut purposes, rounding up. NY also did a Top 8 cut that should have been a Top 16 according to the FFG instructions.

Part of the problem is that the tournament document doesn't reflect this, it's only in the kit instructions. It's water under the bridge, but there was a 5-1 player that missed the cut in NY as a result.

they took the byes into account when determining the cut to 8. even with the byes the number still did not hit the ffg number for top 16

Actually, they didn't.  I didn't realize that this was a rule, but 10 players used byes.

The "problem" was that there was an accident on the highway, so they were expecting players to show up late (they even delayed the start time).  When they went over the tourney stuff (during the "player meeting") they had >80 people registered and paid to play, so they announced 6 rounds, cut to top 16.

However, 8 of those players didn't show, dropping us down to somewhere between 70 and 75 players (I know for a fact at least 70 because there were 35 tables playing at Round 3).  If you take the 70 and add 10 for the byes, then we'd be at "80 players" for the cut purposes.  

But as a closing note, I'm not sure why anyone's upset about how that was all handled.  As it was, every single 5-1 player made it, no 4-2 players made it, ID's where held to a minimum (only the two 5-0 players took an ID the last round).  This sounds like it worked perfectly.  And this is coming from someone who finished in the 9-16 range and would have loved to have played the following day.

I actually think, based on what MJ said, that 2 byes count as an additional player, so you'd still have been at 75 (and I think the top cut there is still 8?).

From what I have seen second hand according to the instructions that come with the Regional kit, when determining the total player count for cut purposes, each 2 byes count as as one additional player for determining round and cut purposes, rounding up. NY also did a Top 8 cut that should have been a Top 16 according to the FFG instructions.

Part of the problem is that the tournament document doesn't reflect this, it's only in the kit instructions. It's water under the bridge, but there was a 5-1 player that missed the cut in NY as a result.

I think the problem was it was announced at a cut to top 16 at the start because they had 77 players but then changed their mind as players started to drop and made it top 8.

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts, but someone in our facebook group posted it at 11:22, right around when the first round started, and it was mentioned it was because of no-shows and not drops, so it sounds like the TO did things right.  

It was announced right before round one started but most people did not here it... he stated again after round one as well... 100% sure on this as to I was right there by him. 

Yeah, I just meant it wasn't because of drops or in the middle of the tourney.

Edited by AlexW

they took the byes into account when determining the cut to 8. even with the byes the number still did not hit the ffg number for top 16

Actually, they didn't.  I didn't realize that this was a rule, but 10 players used byes.

The "problem" was that there was an accident on the highway, so they were expecting players to show up late (they even delayed the start time).  When they went over the tourney stuff (during the "player meeting") they had >80 people registered and paid to play, so they announced 6 rounds, cut to top 16.

However, 8 of those players didn't show, dropping us down to somewhere between 70 and 75 players (I know for a fact at least 70 because there were 35 tables playing at Round 3).  If you take the 70 and add 10 for the byes, then we'd be at "80 players" for the cut purposes.  

But as a closing note, I'm not sure why anyone's upset about how that was all handled.  As it was, every single 5-1 player made it, no 4-2 players made it, ID's where held to a minimum (only the two 5-0 players took an ID the last round).  This sounds like it worked perfectly.  And this is coming from someone who finished in the 9-16 range and would have loved to have played the following day.

I actually think, based on what MJ said, that 2 byes count as an additional player, so you'd still have been at 75 (and I think the top cut there is still 8?).

Yup, 70 + roundup(10/2) = 75.

It takes 77 players to trigger a Top 16 cut, so it sounds like it was done correctly.

Long Island New York had 74 players, plus a bunch of byes, so they should have hit the 77 player # to trigger a Top 16. They also started 2 hours late and didn't finish until 3:30am, so a Top 8 in that case was probably for the best.

Top 8 at the Murray Regional:>

1 - Gordon Berg

Zuckuss - 33

FCS

4-LOM

Mist Hunter

Tractor Beam

Tel Trevura - 40

Dead Eye

R4 Agromech

Proton Torpedoes

Extra Munitions

Guidance Chips

Boba Fett

Palob Godalhi - 20

VI

TLT

2 - Mark Moriarty

Darth Vader - 35

VI

X1 Title

Adv Targeting Comp

Engine Upgrade

Inquisitor - 31

PTL

V1 title

Autothrusters

Valen Rudor - 31

PTL

V1 Title

Autothrusters

Proton Rockets

3 - Joseph Franchino

Lothal Rebel - 43

FCS

Autoblaster Turret

Hera

Ezra

Lothal Rebel - 42

FCS

Autoblaster Turret

Intel Agent

Dash

Prototype Pilot - 15

Chardaan Refit

4 - Mike Gott

Contracted Scout - 33  (x3)

Deadeye

Plasma Torpedoes

Extra Munitions

Guidance Chips

R4 Agromech

5 - Jason Ferguson

Zuckuss - 33

VI

Dengar

Mist Hunter

Tractor Beam

Contracted Scout - 34

Deadeye

R4 Agromech

Plasma Torpedoes

Extra Munitions

Guidance Chips

4-LOM

Contracted Scout - 33

Deadeye

R4 Agromech

Plasma Torpedoes

Extra Munitions

Guidance Chips

6 - Jared Van Winkle

Inquisitor - 31

PTL

V1 title

Autothrusters

Omega Leader - 26

Juke

Comm Relay

Wampa - 14

OGP - 29

Palpatine

7 - Tommy Adams

Tel Trevura - 53

Predator

R5-P8

Feedback Array

Hull Upgrade

Punishing One

Bossk - 47

Crack Shot

Mangler Cannon

4-LOM

Zuckuss

Dengar

Feedback Array

8 - Matthew Wilkes

IG88-B - 49

Wired

Adv Sensors

Mangler Cannon

Prox Mines

IG-2000

Autothrusters

IG88-C - 51

Predator

Adv Sensors

Hvy Laser Cannon

IG-2000

Autothrusters

Thanks! To confirm then, the results including standings after Swiss were:

Murray, Kentucky, United States
May 14
Dragon's Hoard Gaming
Players: 52 (13 byes used)
Winner:
  • Gordon Berg (#2 Swiss): Zuckuss + VI + FCS + Title + Tractor Beam + 4-LOM; Tel Trevura + Deadeye + R4 Agro + Proton Torps + EM + GC + Boba Fett; Palob + VI + TLT
Runner-Up:
  • Mark Moriarty (#1 Swiss): Vader + VI + Title + ATC + EU; Inquistor +PTL + Title + AT; Rudor + PTL + Title + AT + Prockets
Top 4:
  • Mike Gott (#3 Swiss) 3x Contracted Scout + Deadeye/Plasmas/EM/R4 Agro/GC
  • Joseph Franchino (#5 Swiss): Lothal Rebel + FCS + Autoblaster Turret + Hera + Ezra; Lothal Rebel + FCS + Autoblaster Turret + Intel Agent + Dash; Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit
Top 8:
  • Jason Ferguson (#4 Swiss): Zuckuss + VI + Dengar + Mist Hunter + Tractor Beam; Contracted Scout + Deadeye + R4 Agromech + Plasma Torpedoes + EM + GC + 4-LOM; Contracted Scout + Deadeye + R4 Agromech + Plasma Torpedoes + EM + GC
  • Jared Van Winkle (#6 Swiss): Inquisitor + PtL + title + AT; Omega Leader + Juke + Comm Relay; Wampa; OGP + Palpatine
  • Tommy Adams (#7 Swiss): Tel Trevura + Predator + R5-P8 + Feedback Array + Hull + Punishing One; Bossk + Crack Shot + Mangler Cannon + 4-LOM + Zuckuss + Dengar + Feedback Array
  • Matthew Wilkes (#8 Swiss): IG88-B + Wired + Adv Sensors + Mangler + Prox Mines + title + AT; IG88-C + Predator + Adv Sensors + HLC + title + AT
Edited by MajorJuggler

I think the problem was it was announced at a cut to top 16 at the start because they had 77 players but then changed their mind as players started to drop and made it top 8.

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts, but someone in our facebook group posted it at 11:22, right around when the first round started, and it was mentioned it was because of no-shows and not drops, so it sounds like the TO did things right.  

He is getting his info from me because neither I, nor the other 2 guys who drove with me, heard the supposed 1st announcement of changing the cut and we were scattered around the room at that time. Not saying it wasn't made, as people make mistakes and recollections become hazy when witness' share information, but I have informally been asking around and there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to when the announcement happened.

The frustration is that I would have made a top 16 cut, but missed the 8. As I have said, that could have been solved if I had just won one more game....

***EDIT *** Removed pointless snark comment****

Edited by loki_tbc

Top 8 at the Murray Regional:>

1 - Gordon Berg

Zuckuss - 33

FCS

4-LOM

Mist Hunter

Tractor Beam

Tel Trevura - 40

Dead Eye

R4 Agromech

Proton Torpedoes

Extra Munitions

Guidance Chips

Boba Fett

Palob Godalhi - 20

VI

TLT

2 - Mark Moriarty

Darth Vader - 35

VI

X1 Title

Adv Targeting Comp

Engine Upgrade

Inquisitor - 31

PTL

V1 title

Autothrusters

Valen Rudor - 31

PTL

V1 Title

Autothrusters

Proton Rockets

3 - Joseph Franchino

Lothal Rebel - 43

FCS

Autoblaster Turret

Hera

Ezra

Lothal Rebel - 42

FCS

Autoblaster Turret

Intel Agent

Dash

Prototype Pilot - 15

Chardaan Refit

4 - Mike Gott

Contracted Scout - 33  (x3)

Deadeye

Plasma Torpedoes

Extra Munitions

Guidance Chips

R4 Agromech

5 - Jason Ferguson

Zuckuss - 33

VI

Dengar

Mist Hunter

Tractor Beam

Contracted Scout - 34

Deadeye

R4 Agromech

Plasma Torpedoes

Extra Munitions

Guidance Chips

4-LOM

Contracted Scout - 33

Deadeye

R4 Agromech

Plasma Torpedoes

Extra Munitions

Guidance Chips

6 - Jared Van Winkle

Inquisitor - 31

PTL

V1 title

Autothrusters

Omega Leader - 26

Juke

Comm Relay

Wampa - 14

OGP - 29

Palpatine

7 - Tommy Adams

Tel Trevura - 53

Predator

R5-P8

Feedback Array

Hull Upgrade

Punishing One

Bossk - 47

Crack Shot

Mangler Cannon

4-LOM

Zuckuss

Dengar

Feedback Array

8 - Matthew Wilkes

IG88-B - 49

Wired

Adv Sensors

Mangler Cannon

Prox Mines

IG-2000

Autothrusters

IG88-C - 51

Predator

Adv Sensors

Hvy Laser Cannon

IG-2000

Autothrusters

Thanks! To confirm then, the results including standings after Swiss were:

Murray, Kentucky, United States
May 14
Dragon's Hoard Gaming
Players: 52 (13 byes used)
Winner:
  • Gordon Berg (#2 Swiss): Zuckuss + VI + FCS + Title + Tractor Beam + 4-LOM; Tel Trevura + Deadeye + R4 Agro + Proton Torps + EM + GC + Boba Fett; Palob + VI + TLT
Runner-Up:
  • Mark Moriarty (#1 Swiss): Vader + VI + Title + ATC + EU; Inquistor +PTL + Title + AT; Rudor + PTL + Title + AT + Prockets
Top 4:
  • Mike Gott (#3 Swiss) 3x Contracted Scout + Deadeye/Plasmas/EM/R4 Agro/GC
  • Joseph Franchino (#5 Swiss): Lothal Rebel + FCS + Autoblaster Turret + Hera + Ezra; Lothal Rebel + FCS + Autoblaster Turret + Intel Agent + Dash; Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit
Top 8:
  • Jason Ferguson (#4 Swiss): Zuckuss + VI + Dengar + Mist Hunter + Tractor Beam; Contracted Scout + Deadeye + R4 Agromech + Plasma Torpedoes + EM + GC + 4-LOM; Contracted Scout + Deadeye + R4 Agromech + Plasma Torpedoes + EM + GC
  • Jared Van Winkle (#6 Swiss): Inquisitor + PtL + title + AT; Omega Leader + Juke + Comm Relay; Wampa; OGP + Palpatine
  • Tommy Adams (#7 Swiss): Tel Trevura + Predator + R5-P8 + Feedback Array + Hull + Punishing One; Bossk + Crack Shot + Mangler Cannon + 4-LOM + Zuckuss + Dengar + Feedback Array
  • Matthew Wilkes (#8 Swiss): IG88-B + Wired + Adv Sensors + Mangler + Prox Mines + title + AT; IG88-C + Predator + Adv Sensors + HLC + title + AT

Correct Sir!

I was the head TO at greenfield.

82 tickets sold, 12 no-shows, 70 actual players, and 10 bye cards (counting at 0.5 players each for determining number of rounds). All counted and determined during the player meeting, prior to round 1 pairings, following 2016 Tournament Regulations and 2016 Regional Championship Enrollment Procedure. Those are the facts, because I was there. The cut was determined correctly.

If you weren't there you can't judge or say anything. This event was 100% correct. We announced and changed to top 8 before round one pairings were posted. I'm not going to lie some people were salty and booed when the announcement was made but we didn't design the structure we just enforced what FFG requires.

Gordon here.  I ran the scorekeeping, made the announcements, and calculated the cut.

Yes, we advertised this everywhere as having a top-16 cut.  Frankly, we simply didn't imagine getting fewer than 77 players.  Didn't enter our minds.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, we had 82 registrants, 12 of which did not show.  70 players were in the event.  We collected 10 bye cards, which means that we had 75 effective players for the purpose of calculating the number of rounds and the cut per the FFG tournament rules.  This meant we had 6 Swiss rounds followed by a cut to top-8.  This was part of the opening announcements, and was specifically confirmed prior to the start of round 1 - the crowd responding with groans of disappointment.

Frankly, I suspect no one was more disappointed than I.  I wanted those 12 people to play.  They didn't.

I even went over, in depth, the FFG tournament rules with a player in the middle of the event in an attempt to find a loophole where we could count those missing players for the purposes of round calculation.  However, a "player" is defined as someone in the event who has an X-Wing squad and submitted a squad list.  Therefore, we had 70 players, +5 for byes, and that means a top-8 cut per the FFG tournament rules.

Thanks,

-G

Gordon here.  I ran the scorekeeping, made the announcements, and calculated the cut.

Yes, we advertised this everywhere as having a top-16 cut.  Frankly, we simply didn't imagine getting fewer than 77 players.  Didn't enter our minds.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, we had 82 registrants, 12 of which did not show.  70 players were in the event.  We collected 10 bye cards, which means that we had 75 effective players for the purpose of calculating the number of rounds and the cut per the FFG tournament rules.  This meant we had 6 Swiss rounds followed by a cut to top-8.  This was part of the opening announcements, and was specifically confirmed prior to the start of round 1 - the crowd responding with groans of disappointment.

Frankly, I suspect no one was more disappointed than I.  I wanted those 12 people to play.  They didn't.

I even went over, in depth, the FFG tournament rules with a player in the middle of the event in an attempt to find a loophole where we could count those missing players for the purposes of round calculation.  However, a "player" is defined as someone in the event who has an X-Wing squad and submitted a squad list.  Therefore, we had 70 players, +5 for byes, and that means a top-8 cut per the FFG tournament rules.

Thanks,

-G

Did you guys end up selling out of registrations?

If you did, too bad. I ended up finding out an hour after I registered that I couldn't actually attend. I called back but you guys wouldn't let me cancel... and this was six weeks out. I understand that it's important to have an accurate head count before an even of this size but to have a flat no-refund policy was silly.

Was this matching filmed? I'd love to see it.

Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
May 14
Board Game Barrister
Players: 70
Winner:
  • Nathan Eide (#6 Swiss, 25 / 882): Jax; Inquisitor; 3rd Ace (Vader?)
Runner-Up:
  • Trandoshian Slaver + Zuckuss + 4lom + Dengar; 2x Scouts + deadeye + plasma + R4 + EM + GC

May 14
Board Game Barrister
Winner:
Runner-Up:
  • Trandoshian Slaver + Zuckuss + 4lom + Dengar; 2x Scouts + deadeye + plasma + R4 + EM + GC

Yes it was and I believe the link is earlier in this thread.

123 registered for the NC regionals.  I think that's the biggest so far.

Love me some Atomic Empire, but that's a lot of people in that store....

the beer line is going to be just atrocious hahahaha

Heh. I've been to some events about that big at Atomic, but this one is wigging me out a bit because it's a one day event and we're planning to do it in one day, 3-hours drive each way. The final is probably not over until 2-3 in the morning at best.

This weekend there is also a small regional in Madrid (Spain) of just 200 players :P. It actually started as a 160-player tournament, but due all the demand (sold out months ago in a single day, with a gazillion reserves) they decided to go bigger to fit in most of the wait list.

Also, unless some technical problem **** it up, it should be streamed here: https://www.twitch.tv/firstearth

Edited by Kharnete

How many have signed up for Springfield, OH?

When I pre-paid for Springfield, OH last week, I may have been #97 or #98 out of 100. I doubt all pre-payers will show up though, so if anyone on the wait list shows up, they should be able to play.

Edit: just called the Springfield, OH store and there are 105 signed up (pre-paid?) out of 130. They recently expanded it of course.

Edited by Franch

Love me some Atomic Empire, but that's a lot of people in that store....

the beer line is going to be just atrocious hahahaha

Heh. I've been to some events about that big at Atomic, but this one is wigging me out a bit because it's a one day event and we're planning to do it in one day, 3-hours drive each way. The final is probably not over until 2-3 in the morning at best.

Yea we are heading down night before but planned on driving back to Baltimore after. So even if we don't make the cut, thats still 1 am getting home most likely. gonna be rough. 

Youtube.com/BoardGameBarrister

May 14

Board Game Barrister

Winner:

Runner-Up:

Yes it was and I believe the link is earlier in this thread.

Also FYI Picasso was kind enough to get us the rest of the Top 8 lists at Greenfield:

May 14
Board Game Barrister
Featured matches links: Youtube.com/BoardGameBarrister
Winner:
  • Nathan Eide (#6 Swiss, 25 / 882): Vader + adaptability + EU + title + ATC; Inquisitor + PtL + AT + title; Carnor Jax + PtL + Hull + AT
Runner-Up:
  • Kristopher Otremba (#5 Swiss, 25 / 911): Trandoshian Slaver + Zuckuss + 4lom + Dengar; 2x Scouts + deadeye + plasma + R4 + EM + GC
Top 4:
  • Matt Froom (#7 Swiss, 25 / 843): Biggs + R4D6 + IA; Gold + TLT + BTL-A4 + R3-A2; 2x Blue B-wing + FCS
  • Joe Castiglione (#8 Swiss, 25 / 721): Dash + PTL + Kanan + EU + outrider + HLC; Lothal Rebel + Han + Hera + FCS + Auto Blaster Turret

Top 8:

• Carson Wray (#1 Swiss, 28 / 792): IG88B&D + HLC + crack shot + gliterstim + title + AT  
  • Zachary Bart (#2 Swiss, 26 / 928): Jake + PtL + VI + proton Rockets + AT; Poe Dameron + VI + R5P9 + AT; Kyle Katarn + Auto blaster Turret + moldy crow + adaptability + Chewbacca
  • Joseph Topczewski (#3 Swiss, 26 / 888): Biggs; 2x Blue Squadron; 2x Tala 
  • Nathaniel Moore (#4 Swiss, 25 / 969): Torkil Mux + TLT; Trando slaver + gunner + inertial dampeners + bossk + Zuckuss; Thug + TLT + Unhinged; Binarye pirate

#1, 2, 3, and 4 all got knocked out in the first round!

Also noteworthy, according to my records Nathan is the only one who has won a Regionals using Imperial Aces without Palpatine. Until this last weekend, non-Palp Imperial Aces were dramatically underperforming after they made the cut. They got a #1 and #2 finish which helped their stats, but they're still looking pretty weak after they make the cut, averaged across the entire season. I'm compiling some stats which I'll publish soon.

Edited by MajorJuggler

Also FYI Picasso was kind enough to get us the rest of the Top 8 lists at Greenfield:

May 14
Board Game Barrister
Featured matches links: Youtube.com/BoardGameBarrister
Winner:
  • Nathan Eide (#6 Swiss, 25 / 882): Vader + adaptability + EU + title + ATC; Inquisitor + PtL + AT + title; Carnor Jax + PtL + Hull + AT
Runner-Up:
  • Kristopher Otremba (#5 Swiss, 25 / 911): Trandoshian Slaver + Zuckuss + 4lom + Dengar; 2x Scouts + deadeye + plasma + R4 + EM + GC
Top 4:
  • Matt Froom (#7 Swiss, 25 / 843): Biggs + R4D6 + IA; Gold + TLT + BTL-A4 + R3-A2; 2x Blue B-wing + FCS
  • Joe Castiglione (#8 Swiss, 25 / 721): Dash + PTL + Kanan + EU + outrider + HLC; Lothal Rebel + Han + Hera + FCS + Auto Blaster Turret

Top 8:

• Carson Wray (#1 Swiss, 28 / 792): IG88B&D + HLC + crack shot + gliterstim + title + AT  
  • Zachary Bart (#2 Swiss, 26 / 928): Jake + PtL + VI + proton Rockets + AT; Poe Dameron + VI + R5P9 + AT; Kyle Katarn + Auto blaster Turret + moldy crow + adaptability + Chewbacca
  • Joseph Topczewski (#3 Swiss, 26 / 888): Biggs; 2x Blue Squadron; 2x Tala 
  • Nathaniel Moore (#4 Swiss, 25 / 969): Torkil Mux + TLT; Trando slaver + gunner + inertial dampeners + bossk + Zuckuss; Thug + TLT + Unhinged; Binarye pirate

#1, 2, 3, and 4 all got knocked out in the first round!

Also noteworthy, according to my records Nathan is the only one who has won a Regionals using Imperial Aces without Palpatine. Until this last weekend, non-Palp Imperial Aces were dramatically underperforming after they made the cut. They got a #1 and #2 finish which helped their stats, but they're still looking pretty weak after they make the cut, averaged across the entire season. I'm compiling some stats which I'll publish soon.

#3 conceded, I believe as he had to drive home.  Minor point.

but they're still looking pretty weak after they make the cut, averaged across the entire season.

I have to wonder why this is, maybe just they are less strong against players who can anticipate their movement better?

One of the problems I find when I run triple aces is that they all have the same strength and weaknesses.   A reason that Palp Aces works well, in addition to Palp being fantastic, is that the shuttle brings health and low PS blocking that the other ships don't have.  It's a more balanced list in a lot of ways.  What that means is that if you have something that can handle one ace, you probably have ships that can handle multiple aces to skew the match in your favor.   

It's probably also true that top players, both their lists and experience, are already coming with a plan to deal with Palp Aces, so that strategy carries over and is probably more successful without the Palp backup.

Edited by AlexW

San Diego is this weekend. 130 prepaid with a bunch on the wait list. Can't wait to play.

Last year, the Dallas (Plano) regional was the largest with 115. We'll see where they land this year but the speculation is it will again be the largest in the US.