APseudonym

Campaign set completely on Weik

So I was reading through the Force and Destiny core rulebook because I wanted to potentially start a Force-centric game and was instantly inspired by Weik's entry. I thought it would be cool to have a fantasy DnD-ish campaign with FaD rules set completely on Weik and a group of (possibly Force-sensitive) adventurers. There'd be Star Wars species, creatures, a few weapons and, of course, the Force, but all in the fantasy setting of Weik. I'm not sure how well it would work, or how much information Nexus of Power gives about Weik, which also happens to not be canon as far as I can tell, but I think it could be pretty cool, if not for a full campaign then a one-shot adventure with fresh, Weik-based characters.

Of course, some skills, talents etc. would have to be changed or removed, and some things might have to be added (Medieval weapons, for instance) but that shouldn't be too hard.

Any input of any kind would be welcome.

Ohhhhh snap that would be a really cool campaign. You'd probably need to re-flavor a lot of stuff, like you suggested. You could definitely do "specially forged" Ancient Swords for your Force-sensitive characters. As for other weapons...

It would be pretty easy to re-skin (or use as-is) the Arg'garrok , the Ascian Throwing Dagger, the Blade-Breaker, Bola/Net, Ceremonial Blade, Combat Knife, Corellian Compound Bow, Corellian Cutlass, Cortosis Shield, Cortosis Sword, Diiro, Electro Staff, Energy Lance(?), Force Pike, Gaffi Stick, Longeing Whip, Parrying Dagger, Punch Dagger, Riot Shield, Ryyk Blade, S-1 Vemblade, Sith Shield, Staff of Office, Sword Cane, Truncheon, and Tuskbeast Pike.... Not sure what weapons are in Nexus of Power.

You could change any of the vibro- weapons (like the awesome vibro-rapier) without to much difficulty. Remove the "Pierce" and "Vicious" qualities and lower their price? Ranged weapons would be the hardest. Maybe you could use Slugthrowers? I'm not wholly sure. And you'd probably need to adjust from "credits" to a different currency, but you probably wouldn't need to change the costs too much unless you really wanted to make a new economic system. Why bother?

It looks like there's already a lot of material for session ideas hiding in Weik's info page. A Dark Side warlord in charge of a raiding group attacks the player's village. A criminal leads a group of bandits with his "light gun", and needs to be brought to justice. There's some power struggle between the enclaves of the different races, and the players need to solve it. The wielder of one of the ancient lightsabers of legend, a Light Side knight, goes missing, and the players have to find out what happened to him, maybe claiming the lightsaber in the process. Late in the campaign, maybe an exploratory ship shows up, and you have the players deal with the tumultuous experience of dealing with the "alien" outside galaxy. 

If you really wanted, you could eventually have the players be in charge of a small village. You can use the Homestead rules (or talk to ThePatriot about his proposed village/city rules here). If they're Force-sensitives, then they're probably going to be revered somehow. Maybe even use the Reputation system from Keeping the Peace for them

I think you've got enough for a campaign. Definitely more than a one-shot. The only true downside I can see is that you'd have to limit player races to what is on Weik. As for canon... well, ignore that. The system itself is mixing old canon EU and new canon Disney as it sees fit, and I can see no reason for you to not do the same. All the GMs I know either ignore all but the movies and "chart new territory" or they pick and choose whatever fits the fun and flavor of their story. I personally don't think there's enough world-building (yet) with new canon, and I scour old EU sources for background information to make my campaigns and personal characters deeper. Gather all the information on Weik you can! Ignore what doesn't seem awesome to you (if you're comfortable)! Fill in the gaps how you want! And, you know, have fun.

Pardon the ranting. It's either do that or do actual work. ( :o) Good luck with your campaign! Tell us how it goes!

It's certainly possible to do a campaign set entirely on Weik, so long as you have the buy in of all your players.

Nexus of Power is very handy to have since it provides a lot more information on Weik, stuff that would be useful for a GM to have.

One thing I'd suggest keeping in mind though is that eventually the players may tire of playing in a setting that's not really Star Wars, and may well get the itch to leave Weik and go so see other parts of the galaxy.  That in and of itself isn't a campaign killer, and could actually be quite interesting as the PCs have to try and adjust to a galaxy where technology is much more common and what they considered rare trinkets are dime-a-dozen items, to say nothing of the concept of using credits.

I am running a story arc where our characters enter the Unknown Regions and discover the "Dragonstar Empire" and will have to over throw the Ancient Red Dragon Mezzenbone with the help of some locals on an outland world where the believe in "magic"

Great idea, Its probably one of those things where you could run an entire Episode on Weik, then "Visitors" arrive throwing the entire world and the PC's into turmoil. Or have a complete government coverup where the rulers believe the people are better off keeping out of the rest of the galaxy, they have large defences set up around the planet to prevent visitors, and the PC's eventually uncover the truth...

Ever seen The Ring? 

Just like the ending, stepping out into the real world.

Special Modifications has rules for primitive bows under crafting ranged weapons (the projectile ranged weapon template) that you can use. They're easy to make, Short Range, Dam 4, Crit 5, Enc 3, HP 0 Ranged (Light) weapons, listed as Limited Ammo 1. The same stats are suggested for javelins, slings, and a blowgun.

If you were going to use bows extensively, I'd have those be "basic bows". Apply the advantage/Triumph features for better bows from more skilled craftsman - maybe a Longbow has the "Increased Range" and "Destructive" qualities. Personally, on crafting, I'd say the check to make the bow includes the bow and 5 arrows, and any arrows after can be the same check (5 more arrows) or an easier check (1 arrow). Maybe a more difficult/expensive check for "craftsman arrows" if you want to put more exotic effects on them. Then I'd have "Lightweight", "Customizable", "Increased Range", "Destructive", "Schematic" and "Integrated Attachment" available for use on the bow, and everything else - like "Ion" and "Vicious Quality" - applied to arrows. That way people can live out their Arrow/Hawkeye fantasies. =D

There are also rules for crafting Shields, Bladed Weapons, and Blunt Weapons that you can tweak into basic medieval weapons the same way.

All in all, the crafting system not only gives you rules for basic things you might want, but provides an easy framework to create custom weapons. Maybe you want a "large/powerful projectile ranged weapon" template that's more difficult/expensive but crafts a Greatbow that defaults to more damage and a longer range or something. It's a good read, I'd pick it up.

EDIT: Or just read Nexus of Power. On second review it contains a lot of those weapons.

Edited by Kestin

Old topic, I know, but I just got Nexus of Power earlier this week and I have a campaign setting that with some tweaks would be perfect as a separate continent on Weik! It is something that I am super jazzed about running.

Most of the tweaks are races, and even then not much! Tieflings replaced with Zabraks or Duros, and the other races mixed in. Change the effects of a taboo region of psionics to radiation sickness, and the empire of undead turned into a Sith Empire analog. Presto!

Edited by Meribson

Old topic, I know :P but this is the only Weik thread I found and people might have some experience. I was thinking about doing a fantasy styled campaign set on Weik, but I can't help but wondering how certain skills work out, so I hoped someone might have input on these adjudications:

Computers: On a primitive world this seems unnecessary, but in Nexus of Power there's much talk about techno-relics, so using them could require the computers skill?

Piloting Planetary / Space: Don't really know what to do with them. I was thinking Planetary for carriages and siege weapons, and Space for ships. The other option would be to replace Planetary with Riding, and use Space for everything else, but then not a lot of FaD specs would have access to riding and theres a overlap with Survival for riding mounts. Variation of this is just have both Survival and Planetary as riding skill, might be best i think. Vehicles would have to be homebrewed of course.

Ranged combat skills: Light for thrown weapons, Heavy for Bows and Crossbows. Gunnery is weird, but could be used for siege weapons, or primitive ship cannons. Also, the occasional techno-relic blaster uses the usual skill, so theoretically Gunnery can be used for that sweet artifact repeating blaser.

Knowledge Core Worlds and Outer Rim: I was thinking Core Worlds for cities, Outer Rim for wilderness regions, or less civilized areas.

Any help would be appreciated.

With the full warning that Players have about the setting I see no reason to change any skills at all. They can easily avoid the Gunners, Heavies and Pilots and Starfighter Aces, interested choosing appropriate specs to the setting.

Perhaps Piloting would be the exception. Land based vehicles use Planetary while water based vehicles uses Space. Riding is still Survival.

Ranged Light is still thrown weapons, Heavy is Bows/Crossbows, Gunnery is Siege and Cannons.

Astrogation is Astrogation, navigating by the stars.

Computers is interacting with ancient technology, probably the least used skill in this setting, do Slicer is probably a bad pick, Droid and Cyber Tech too.

Your idea for knowledge seems spot on, Education would be for current "medieval" knowledge whilst Lore would be knowledge of high tech things. 

I would certainly recommend picking up Nexus of Power, it's got more on Weik with more detail and ideas.