Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

x wing...parts and components non suitable for children under 14...

Just for laughts...

If you are in the USA and you play.with your 12 years old son...can somebody start legal actions against you???

Depends what your playing... :D

Cops and robbers with real guns

Cowboys and Indians (That's native american!)

but what about India? A cowboy can go to India. If he wants. I think.

FWIW, the reason is much more mundane.

Because the vast majority of the product parts are imported from China, and China has...let's say a reputation...for using hazardous chemicals in their products ,

Oh Dear God..... I guess I should stop holding pegs between my teeth when I'm switching out ships and base tokens.

Well, I did just learn today that some US bread (fast food buns mostly) contains chemicals that aren't allowed in EU yoga mats for their toxicity.

Because the vast majority of the product parts are imported from China, and China has...let's say a reputation...for using hazardous chemicals in their products ,

Oh Dear God..... I guess I should stop holding pegs between my teeth when I'm switching out ships and base tokens.

Well, I did just learn today that some US bread (fast food buns mostly) contains chemicals that aren't allowed in EU yoga mats for their toxicity.

While I'd be suspicious of that statement without a proper source... They really are that gross.

While I'd be suspicious of that statement without a proper source... They really are that gross.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/ada-yoga-mat-plastics-chemical-found-us-foods-what-health-risks-does-additive-have-270300

In 52 countries, girls under age 15 can marry with parental consent. X-wing is not suitable for children under 14 but in some countries they can get married. Something is wrong!

I'm not justifying young girls getting married but, growing up on a farm I was using an hand sickle, pitch fork, axe and hand saw at 12 and shot a gun at 13. A lot more dangerous than a X-wing toy.   

I'm think I read "contains peanuts" in jars of peanut butter, and "contains milk" in either milk or yoghurt containers.

Or the phrase "may contain traces of nuts or seeds" on a pack of peanuts.

I want more than 'traces' in my salted nuts.

The age thing on x-wing did worry my lad who loves the game (age 10).

it's true. I always double check my sources as I have a scientific degree and I know how many people get alarmed without a shred of evidence, but the FDA in USA is notoriously pretty lax and allows industries to use components disallowed by Europe, which is more consumer-centric with regard to food.

for example, it's little known that almonds, even organic almonds, are required by law in USA to be either steamed or exposed to a chemical gas. the reason of the idiotic law is a single case of salmonella happened on an almond farm that was using dubious hygiene practices. most almonds are not steamed but exposed to this gas which is forbidden in EU since it's toxic.

the crazy thing is the FDA allows this toxic gas almonds to be labelled as organic.

I make sure to buy my almonds directly from small farmers (you can find their websites online), since 1. you get better price, quality and much better taste than anything you can buy in store and 2. they are the only almonds that can be legally sold untreated.

Edited by XBear

I'm think I read "contains peanuts" in jars of peanut butter, and "contains milk" in either milk or yoghurt containers.

Or the phrase "may contain traces of nuts or seeds" on a pack of peanuts.

I want more than 'traces' in my salted nuts.

The age thing on x-wing did worry my lad who loves the game (age 10).

Peanuts aren't nuts.

i dont even know a kid under the age of 6 that would be dumb enough to try and eat a peg or the cardboard tokens. And i know some dumb kids lol.

Im used to only seeing that warning on things like Legos, and its 3 or younger.

You laugh now but if you are a kindergarten teacher, and you have a child with undiagnosed pica ( see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder)), well you can feel grateful of child safety laws when you discover that the said child pilfered a crayola markerin order to sneek off and suck out the ink. Sigh...

Go on and feel morally superior, but remember, a few generations ago, most humans did not make it to ten years old before dying of something we would find shocking.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-William Shakespeare

Probably the most frequently taken out of context quote in all of history.

In the context of the play, what is basically being said is

"If you want to destabilize a country and plunge it into anarchy, the first thing you do is kill all the lawyers"

Just for laughts...

If you are in the USA and you play.with your 12 years old son...can somebody start legal actions against you???

No.

That is the american way. You can sell toxic waste as food in america, as long as you warn your customers that it MIGHT be toxic. ;-)

It is not a bad way to handle things, it makes stuff a lot less bureaucratic, but it brings with it that you need "sometimes" a lawyer to sort stuff out, basically every time a company things they can get away with it.

Quite a little bit too much. When I was 12 I was delighted mixing flamable liquids in my chemistry lab "recomended ages 10+". I only burned myself four or five times...

On my opinion, a "normal" 12 years old boy will not eat a peg. Perhaps a little too restrictive. But the first time visited the USA I was surprised when I read "Caution - Hot" printed on a ready to take away coffe... Those funny lawyers...

as a note.  "Caution hot" is printed on McDonalds Coffee cups because when it gave an 80 year old woman 3rd degree burns on the bottom half of her body, the tempurature of the coffee in the paper cup that disintergrated (boba fett style) in her had was upwards of 180 degrees, close to boiling. the money she sued for was for pain and suffering, but the court deemed it suitable to add on a sizable amount of money for the surgeris to have skin grafts covered, as well as punative (punishing[ones]) damages. so .... maybe third degree burns is a good enough reason for "Caution hot"

to the above, she did not "spill it on herself" the cup gave out in her hand, causing it to spill in her lap, as it was handed to her.

Actually, the jury awarded around $2,700,000 and the court reduced the award to $600,000, saying the initial award was excessive.

Now they print "hot" on their cups and got their bases covered the next time the exact same thing happens. ;)

In 52 countries, girls under age 15 can marry with parental consent. X-wing is not suitable for children under 14 but in some countries they can get married. Something is wrong!

I'm not justifying young girls getting married but, growing up on a farm I was using an hand sickle, pitch fork, axe and hand saw at 12 and shot a gun at 13. A lot more dangerous than a X-wing toy.   

That is what they want you to believe, but in reality the X-Wing plastic will make you infertile, while the sickle only achieve this when misused. ;-)

But hey, I don't plan on having kids anyway and the plastic is everywhere already anyway. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

Just for laughts...

No.

That is the american way. You can sell toxic waste as food in america, as long as you warn your customers that it MIGHT be toxic. ;-)

It is not a bad way to handle things, it makes stuff a lot less bureaucratic, but it brings with it that you need "sometimes" a lawyer to sort stuff out, basically every time a company things they can get away with it.

Quite a little bit too much. When I was 12 I was delighted mixing flamable liquids in my chemistry lab "recomended ages 10+". I only burned myself four or five times...

On my opinion, a "normal" 12 years old boy will not eat a peg. Perhaps a little too restrictive. But the first time visited the USA I was surprised when I read "Caution - Hot" printed on a ready to take away coffe... Those funny lawyers...

as a note.  "Caution hot" is printed on McDonalds Coffee cups because when it gave an 80 year old woman 3rd degree burns on the bottom half of her body, the tempurature of the coffee in the paper cup that disintergrated (boba fett style) in her had was upwards of 180 degrees, close to boiling. the money she sued for was for pain and suffering, but the court deemed it suitable to add on a sizable amount of money for the surgeris to have skin grafts covered, as well as punative (punishing[ones]) damages. so .... maybe third degree burns is a good enough reason for "Caution hot"

to the above, she did not "spill it on herself" the cup gave out in her hand, causing it to spill in her lap, as it was handed to her.

Actually, the jury awarded around $2,700,000 and the court reduced the award to $600,000, saying the initial award was excessive.

Now they print "hot" on their cups and got their bases covered the next time the exact same thing happens. ;)

"Your honour, my client was handed a cup of boiling hot coffee which disintegrated in her hand and burned most of the flesh off of her body."

"Your honour, the defence would like to point out that the cup said the coffee was hot!"

--------------------------------

The advantage to the components being labeled as unsafe for children under 14 is that you can get your 12-year old to choke on one, and then sue you for negligence for letting him/her play.  As long as you have a good enough insurance policy, you can get enough money to pay for college!

(don't actually try this)

Hahah, I completely agree.  The funniest one to me is McDonalds' coffee is on their menu as "Hot Coffee" and they have a sign in every restaurant that says, "Warning, McDonald's hot coffee is hot"

I decided the world was crazy when McD's started putting those signs up, and the ones that advise spilling hot coffee on your lap will hurt. Seriously? As a child I touched a hot iron, not needed warning that hot things should be treated with caution since. The nanny state and pc has gone way past "normal"

I decided the world was crazy when McD's started putting those signs up, and the ones that advise spilling hot coffee on your lap will hurt. Seriously? As a child I touched a hot iron, not needed warning that hot things should be treated with caution since. The nanny state and pc has gone way past "normal"

It has nothing to do with nanny state (and how you can drag pc into this is beyond me). It does have a lot to do with clever people manipulating laws and courts for monetary gain.

You laugh now but if you are a kindergarten teacher, and you have a child with undiagnosed pica ( see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder)), well you can feel grateful of child safety laws when you discover that the said child pilfered a crayola markerin order to sneek off and suck out the ink. Sigh...

Go on and feel morally superior, but remember, a few generations ago, most humans did not make it to ten years old before dying of something we would find shocking.

I know in the UK there used to be child labour, chimney sweeps etc, but "most" not living past 10yrs old? I doubt it, or there would have been no next generation.

Edited by Grumpy54

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-William Shakespeare

Probably the most frequently taken out of context quote in all of history.

In the context of the play, what is basically being said is

"If you want to destabilize a country and plunge it into anarchy, the first thing you do is kill all the lawyers"

iirc, wasn't there a similar quote in Arnie/James Belushi Red Heat? They were discussing drug dealers and Arniw said along the lines of  in Rissia they'd just shoot them, JB replied the lawyers would never go for that in US, and Arnie suggested shooting them first?

I know in the UK there used to be child labour, chimney sweeps etc, but "most" not living past 10yrs old? I doubt it, or there would have been no next generation.

It is an uninformed statement, life expectancy at birth has always been at least 30 to 40. The human lifespan hasn't changed much the last millennia, only the infant mortality number.