Sign in to follow this  
Rebelinst

Don't forget to Recycle as you unbox!

People need to be reminded?

Glass, plastic (and tin cans, and plastic lined milk and other drink cartons), paper, organic, chemical and 'other', it's all separated and collected here. And by here, I mean the city, and most of the nation.

Remind everybody... great... to bad its useless ..

In the majority of U.S. major cities, the "blue" recycle bins are only for "redemption" marked beverage bottles/cans and paper. Everything else you throw in there is separated out and sent to the dump. Read the bin lids.. The city recyclers make no effort to help the environment, just make money off things we are to lazy to do.

But ya... holy trash heap Batman! This game we all love makes a lot garbage! No "green earth" award here!

In my opinion, the protection afforded by the plastic blister is simply perfect. You can buy one that has been exposed to avid hands for months in a store and it will be perfect, 100% brand new.

I don't know in other places, in my since circa 1995 there are yellow and blue recycle bins.

I would like other minis manufacturers to sell them in such HQ blisters.

Glass, plastic (and tin cans, and plastic lined milk and other drink cartons), paper, organic, chemical and 'other', it's all separated and collected here. And by here, I mean the city, and most of the nation.

In the majority of U.S. major cities, the "blue" recycle bins are only for "redemption" marked beverage bottles/cans and paper. Everything else you throw in there is separated out and sent to the dump. Read the bin lids.. The city recyclers make no effort to help the environment, just make money off things we are to lazy to do.

But ya... holy trash heap Batman! This game we all love makes a lot garbage! No "green earth" award here!

The Netherlands currently recycles over 50% of all waste, like 95% of glass and paper, 70% of plastics, that sort of thing.

The Netherlands currently recycles over 50% of all waste, like 95% of glass and paper, 70% of plastics, that sort of thing.

Mexico does the opposite. Carbon equality.

Id happily by 'veteran packs' at this point with the ship, cards and pilot chits in it only. If even pay the same money for it just to not hav to deal with my 300th cardboard focus token...

BUT WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT THE AAA TARGET LOCK TOKENS COMING IN WAVE 9?!

For serious: the Core set should come with 4 small bases and 2 large bases, plus pegs. 10-15 shield tokens, Stress tokens, ion tokens, etc. And that's it. No other ship should come with those. FFG can then sell separate packs with extra tokens- to go along with the packs of extra bases and dice they already sell.

I'd love to buy some of the colored bases, but I've already got 50 bases I never use. Buying more seems ludicrous.

... and when the recycle truck picks up the recycling, it spews black smoke out it's exhaust. Carbon equal???

Actually the catalytic reduction systems on modern trucks are incredibly clean, the air coming out the exhaust pipe on a heavy duty truck sitting in rush hour traffic is likely cleaner than the air around it. The problem is the darn things systems are so unreliable they cause nightmares for the people that depend on them.

Planets gonna die so why.....

In just a few billion years the planet will be incinerated by a dying sun. It's all essentially pointless anyway.

Of course, I would hope my futurama style head attached to a gigantic robot killing machine body would have a green and pleasant earth to enjoy until then.

yeah i have noticed that the wiz kids STAW stuff is packaged much more efficiently well the "Boosters" are. now if wizkids could just match FFG quality!!  also before you toss and recycle anything go through it all again to make sure your not tossing a dial snap or what ever they are called..lol  speaking from experience!!!  

Id happily by 'veteran packs' at this point with the ship, cards and pilot chits in it only. If even pay the same money for it just to not hav to deal with my 300th cardboard focus token...

BUT WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT THE AAA TARGET LOCK TOKENS COMING IN WAVE 9?!

For serious: the Core set should come with 4 small bases and 2 large bases, plus pegs. 10-15 shield tokens, Stress tokens, ion tokens, etc. And that's it. No other ship should come with those. FFG can then sell separate packs with extra tokens- to go along with the packs of extra bases and dice they already sell.

I'd love to buy some of the colored bases, but I've already got 50 bases I never use. Buying more seems ludicrous.

I honestly Cannot fathom why they have not gotten into the tokens and templates market. Even if they outsource it to say, Litko, and then just bulk order sets for imperial, rebel, and S&V they could do away with so much waste and turn a nice profit. Plastic packaging in general is ridiculous, but the problem is that people steal so it has to be a lot of times. 

Also the recycling plant emitting more carbon than it saves is pretty ridiculous. What you are forgetting is that if those materials aren't recycled new materials have to be created whose process creates WAY more carbon. So instead of the same materials being used twice essentially you are doubling the carbon every time you throw something away. But in the end, the BEST way is to re-use yourself. There is absolutely no substitute.

The recycling trade is done on such razor thin margins that even slight contamination results in the unit being deemed waste. I.E. if you leave the plastic bag around the cardboard tokens when you put it in the recycling a lot of recyclers will say BUMP THAT and toss it. Also, NEVER put your recycling in a black bag. Becomes automatic trash at the plant. 

I personally want to thank any of you who even make the attempt at recycling though. That right there is 90% of the battle. 

Edited by Timathius

I understand that FFG is stuck in the middle.  The packaging / included materials need to be:

• efficient for shipping
  • look good on the shelf
  • be cost effective
  • protect from damage
  • include everything that you would need for a complete play experience with that expansion

They are doing the best that they can too meet the criteria each of those categories. Except recyclable zip lock bags for the cards.

Alex and Frank, I know that you guys read these: Maybe a "Recycling Reminder" in with the Wave 9 stuff???

The recycling trade is done on such razor thin margins that even slight contamination results in the unit being deemed waste. I.E. if you leave the plastic bag around the cardboard tokens when you put it in the recycling a lot of recyclers will say BUMP THAT and toss it. Also, NEVER put your recycling in a black bag. Becomes automatic trash at the plant. 

:o

They don't really care about black bags here, it's all plastic. Then again, the bin for plastic is also the bin for cans, and drinks cartons.

Dagonet, on 08 Apr 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

random.brown, on 07 Apr 2016 - 9:10 PM, said:

You know that recycling centers create as much pollution, if not more, than is saved by the act of recycling?

:rolleyes:

Nonsense.

As a guy who has worked in the industry... he is right.  The cost to recycle is greater than what is saved for most products (aluminum the big exception).  Most of what you recycle ends up in a landfill anyway.  No market for clear glass, almost none for colored.  Metals will get pulled for resale.  Plastic... if you only knew how little was actually re-used.   Most of the waste is generated from hauling the stuff back and forth, running the processing center, and then shipping most of it back to a landfill.

A few places are starting to play with pyrolysis boilers to reduce plastics and organics to bio char, bunker oil, and heavy metal salts.  Others (google Ames Iowa and their power plant) have other methods.  Several  landfills were compromised by Katrina and had to undergo similar 'cleanups' as the fill near Ames.

On the positive and practical note, my brother in law cuts washers out of the case plastic and puts them in between the cardboard of his dials to reduce wear and tear.  Thinking about doing that myself.

Edited by Cr0aker

You know that recycling centers create as much pollution, if not more, than is saved by the act of recycling?

Nonsense.

As a guy who has worked in the industry... he is right.  The cost to recycle is greater than what is saved for most products (aluminum the big exception).  Most of what you recycle ends up in a landfill anyway.  No market for clear glass, almost none for colored.  Metals will get pulled for resale.  Plastic... if you only knew how little was actually re-used.   Most of the waste is generated from hauling the stuff back and forth, running the processing center, and then shipping most of it back to a landfill.

A few places are starting to play with pyrolysis boilers to reduce plastics and organics to bio char, bunker oil, and heavy metal salts.  Others (google Ames Iowa and their power plant) have other methods.  Several  landfills were compromised by Katrina and had to undergo similar 'cleanups' as the fill near Ames.

He said specifically that it is more pollutant to recycle, which is incorrect. COST is another matter, like I said margins are razor thin. I also work in the industry and you're right it really is a lot more wasteful than most people think (as I said contaminated items, black bags, etc.) but insinuating that it is worse for the environment than just throwing things away IS just nonsense. 

Nonsense.

Paper packaging contains over 90% recycled paper, glass about as much, metal is hard to tell as it's all thrown on a big heap with new, plastic bottles about 25%, bags around 90, pallets even more.

Here anyway.