Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

Who has seen the official Rogue One trailer yet?

Right. Since we're on the subject....like this post if you want to see a strong, African-American female lead in the next Star Wars movie.

You know, I want to see the right person for the roll (whatever that roll may be). If they happen to be black, a woman, or an albino or whatever - then so be it. Just so long as they're good and they're right for the part.

First, it's "role" in this context not "roll". ;)

Second, while I genuinely believe your heart is in the right place, a culture persists that doesn't often bother to think beyond certain traditional modes.  Due to that, the idea of "right for a role" has many outdated assumptions in place.  Hollywood and many consumers need to be exposed to new ways of seeing and doing things in order to be able to make these sorts of calls.

I don't think all fandoms are the right place for such social-barrier experimentation...  But I, personally, think "Star Wars" is.

As role-players, we should understand the desire to "personalize" "Star Wars" better than most. :)

Regarding the Ghostbusters side-discussion...

Reitman, Ramis, Aykroyd, and Murray had all known each other personally and/or professionally for some time.  Ramis and Aykroyd wrote the movie.  Whatever else was going on in Hollywood in the 1980s, it wasn't sexism that resulted in the casting decisions for that movie. 

Regarding the Ghostbusters side-discussion...

Reitman, Ramis, Aykroyd, and Murray had all known each other personally and/or professionally for some time.  Ramis and Aykroyd wrote the movie.  Whatever else was going on in Hollywood in the 1980s, it wasn't sexism that resulted in the casting decisions for that movie. 

Oh, agreed absolutely.

I was simply refuting the notion that, perhaps, women read for the roles and "just weren't right".

On my own, "Ghostbusters" would not be my choice of example but I went with the one I was handed and at its time of creation... the 80's... the point about defaults still stands.

Edited by Aluminium Falcon

Right. Since we're on the subject....like this post if you want to see a strong, African-American female lead in the next Star Wars movie.

African or African-American?

That right there is the problem with the term African-American... I have seen so many people call Boyega just that...

Either way I thought Lupita knocked it out the park.

Oh, yeah! She was phenomenal!

Maybe not necessarily African-American specifically.

I think you know what I mean ;)

You know, I want to see the right person for the roll (whatever that roll may be). If they happen to be black, a woman, or an albino or whatever - then so be it. Just so long as they're good and they're right for the part.

I agree. But isn't it time that the right person for a leading role in a major movie was a black woman? 

Edited by Vestij Jai Galaar

Ok ass hats (I say that with endearment towards my fellow Star Wars geek) I just scrolled through 6 pages and recall perhaps 2 posts regarding Rogue One. Thanks for the waste of time.

Jagergryte initially started a Rogue One discussion thread then stopped since this one was started. Since this one is 99% off-topic, I'm taking my happy-ass over to the other thread. Please let this one die without its stink making its way over to a 2nd attempt at a Rogue One discussion thread:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/216587-rogue-one/

EDIT: Here's the thread I was looking for:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/216529-the-spoilerrific-super-duper-rogue-one-megathread/

Edited by Sturn

Ok ass hats (I say that with endearment towards my fellow Star Wars geek) I just scrolled through 6 pages and recall perhaps 2 posts regarding Rogue One. Thanks for the waste of time.

Jagergryte initially started a Rogue One discussion thread then stopped since this one was started. Since this one is 99% off-topic, I'm taking my happy-ass over to the other thread. Please let this one die without its stink making its way over to a 2nd attempt at a Rogue One discussion thread:

Yup. Definitely shoulda taken the left turn at Albuquerque an missed this one...

You mean third attempt. . . .

(Come join us talking about how much that guy is Kyle Katarn and not anyone else. You hear me - NOBODY ELSE!)

Ok, I watched the trailer yet again. And I got to say... I actually really enjoy how she delivered "I rebel", Acting the hell out of it with her expression and eyes..Subtle and intense at the same time. I didn`t think about it before.. But yea, it`s good.

Edited by RodianClone

As an aside... the trailer would have been letter with less klaxon.

Oh, that 'Woooo' sound? That was just a stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun!

ric-flair-o.gif

(subtitle: The Nature Boy Ric Flair, the Dirtiest Player in the Game)

Edited by Desslok

As an aside... the trailer would have been letter with less klaxon.

Oh, that 'Woooo' sound? That was just a stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun!

ric-flair-o.gif

(subtitle: The Nature Boy Ric Flair, the Dirtiest Player in the Game)

I like the sh*t hittin the fan sound.  

Ugh...I'm not convinced by the "I'm supposedly kickass but I still know how to pout" lead.  Didn't know Forrest Whitaker was involved though, so that could be a positive.

I may have to wait to rent it.

Rebellious and troubled youth are allowed to "pout"... Are your sure this isn`t because she is another girl lead in your Star Wars tree house and you are afraid of rebel cooties? ;)

Just felt too Disney for me.  I mean she seems "kickass" but that makes the pouting kind of uhm, well it breaks my suspension of disbelief.  Not that she needs to be a sociopath but if someone is "on their own from the age of 15" they tend to grow the **** up.  Most of the people I know who have lived that experience are very independent and motivated individuals.  They are certainly anything but "undisciplined" because you don't live very long that way.  Also if your "undisciplined" I doubt you would ever have the capacity to acquire the skills necessary to beat a stormtrooper in melee combat, let alone a squad of them.  Now who knows why she lived on her own, backstory is lacking to so circumstances may make this more understandable to me.

On a side note I'd really like them to have Imperial Army troopers play the incompetent enemy forces for once; because the film stormtroopers are laughable as a special forces level of unit. I also found it very hard to believe that someone abducted and trained from infancy like Finn from Force Awakens would be so incompetent. The training program must be pretty crap, all like ~16 years of it he received (I have no idea what his canon age is). He sees his friend die and then decides to stop fighting, uhuh; furthermore later he essentially is fine with killing his old friends and allies throughout the movie with no moral or emotional conflict. He should at least become a corpsman (medic) or something to emphasize his dislike of violence, or you know a nerf herder.

Most people I have met that have been one their own since 15 have done nothing of the sort. They may not have established family role models, but they pretty much always have help. Of course, I live in the USA, so I'm not talking some raised in the wild Jungle Book boy or someone on the streets of Mogadishu.

There are many degrees of special forces.  They certainly aren't SAS, SEALs, Spetsnaz, etc but they should be about special forces level even if they aren't a trained enough to be in a specialized elite unit.

There are many degrees of special forces.  They certainly aren't SAS, SEALs, Spetsnaz, etc but they should be about special forces level even if they aren't a trained enough to be in a specialized elite unit.

>stormtroopers

>special forces level

drugs are bad bro

haha, well that's the point, they are so freaking bad its laughable to think they've even fired a blaster before.

Maybe they were just taught how to stand in neatly shaped squares on parade grounds.

However they are repeatedly both in old and new canon referred to as "elite shock troops", "elite soldiers", etc.

Even the AoR CRB says that the average citizen is only likely to ever see Imperial Army Troopers (infantryman); implying that stormtroopers are a much more select group.

Edited by Vrussk

haha, well that's the point, they are so freaking bad its laughable to think they've even fired a blaster before.

Maybe they were just taught how to stand in neatly shaped squares on parade grounds.

Well of course the bad guys are bad shots, this isn't unique to star wars. All protagonists are immune to random mook fire. If they weren't we would have nothing but dead heroes

The only two emotional stormtroopers we see are Finn and "TR-8R", I doubt we'll ever see both sides of the coin in the same movie, a stormtrooper avenging his fallen brethren by slaying some rebel scum.  Guess thats what I like RPG for.

On a side note I'd really like them to have Imperial Army troopers play the incompetent enemy forces for once; because the film stormtroopers are laughable as a special forces level of unit.

Oh, you mean the incompetent soldiers that were able to take a fortified position through a choke point with minimal losses? The ones that totally curb stomped the rebels on Hoth? Those incompetent soliders?