Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

Who has seen the official Rogue One trailer yet?

Squeeeeeeeee

Yeah, I saw it. Just after finishing playing a session tonight. **** Hutts are hard to kill. we had four PC's wailing on him with Blasters and Vibro-Weapons. Our bounty hunter was Crit'ing nearly every shot, the Marauder sundered his weapons, the Hutt begged for Ransom once his bodyguards went down and eventually he was cornered and shot, beaten and hacked to death. It was horrible to be a the table. 

The trailer was a complete change in mood.

I am VERY excited. I've kept away from most things about it but couldn't resist watching. Did I spy Moff Tarkin in there? Very very thrilling. 

Ugh...I'm not convinced by the "I'm supposedly kickass but I still know how to pout" lead.  Didn't know Forrest Whitaker was involved though, so that could be a positive.

I may have to wait to rent it.

To be honest, this was the one thing that really concerned me - I have a very low opinion of Forrest Whitaker as an actor unfortunately. But on the flip side, this is the first I knew of Donnie Yen being in it! :D 

I haven't got much of an opinion on the lead yet, I don't really know anything about Felicity Jones - not sure I've seen her in anything

I am excited.  The potential to see Vader again chasing after them.  Han Solo's new casting possibly being in it. I think it'll be fun as hell.  

I am really hoping after (before is also acceptable) this movie debuts they will start talking the Netflix shows.  It seems to me a live action one related to the civil war would be a natural option for that.

Edited by 2P51

Ugh...I'm not convinced by the "I'm supposedly kickass but I still know how to pout" lead.  Didn't know Forrest Whitaker was involved though, so that could be a positive.

Rebellious and troubled youth are allowed to "pout"... Are your sure this isn`t because she is another girl lead in your Star Wars tree house and you are afraid of rebel cooties? ;)

Edited by RodianClone

Rebellious and troubled youth are allowed to "pout"... Are your sure this isn`t because she is another girl lead in your Star Wars tree house and you are afraid of rebel cooties? ;)

Not remotely, and if it weren't for that winky I'd be offended.  I'm quite happy with female leads.  Ahsoka, Ventress, Sabine, Hera, Leia, Rey...great characters all, and it's fantastic to see more.

It's not about the gender, it's about the acting, the voice quality, and the direction.  Some directors do this thing where they don't use the actor's natural voice qualities to best effect, they make them try to sound "menacing" by forcing them to drop an octave...it just doesn't work, it either sounds petulant or airy.  Ironically, that's a male-dominated executive type of decision that displays their inherent chauvinism.

Filoni and Abrams (and Lucas, as far as I know) don't seem to do this, they let the actor find their strength.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but...if you've ever read Blink, maybe I'm not...

I guess they are running out of male heroes in the Star Wars galaxy.

God forbid we have two women leads in this franchise!

What? TWO female leads in a row? WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? ... They`re not even princesses! RAGE!  It`s not like it`s 2016 or anything.. Wait, it is? Oh, never mind then....

Edited by RodianClone

I liked it.  I think it's got a good tone to it.   I'm not bouncing in my seat excited, but I'm definitely intrigued.  

If the movie actually carries the tone of the trailer, I feel I will have many moments in the film where they will start smacking my Awesome Button in my brain like a monkey with a bone.

I don't have a problem with female leads or any other deviation from the admittedly predominant 'white male' star. If a part in a story is written for them, then great! Im a fan!

What I do have a problem with, and I hope I dont offend anyone here, is when a role seems to be filled with an unexpected deviation in actor preference.. well just because you can and ... as above... its 2016 and we have to recognize our diversity or whatever. 

The recent trend of well known, established and traditional heroes and characters suddenly changing race, gender or sexual preference just for the hell of it is pretty disappointing. 

A female X wing pilot? Awesome!

An ethnic Grand Moff? Cool!

A gay bounty hunter? Sure, whatever, fine!

But if a film rendition of "Heir to the Empire" presents Grand Admiral Thrawn as an oriental lesbian... well I'll have to off myself.

After Googling Felicity Jones... The Worst Witch,,, YES! I remember watching that tbh it was a pretty good tv series and she ain't too shabby :D

...and she was in Feory of Everyfink... which I haven't seen

and Chalet Girl which I have seen,,, which is a 7/10

Edited by ExpandingUniverse

I don't have a problem with female leads or any other deviation from the admittedly predominant 'white male' star. If a part in a story is written for them, then great! Im a fan!

What I do have a problem with, and I hope I dont offend anyone here, is when a role seems to be filled with an unexpected deviation in actor preference.. well just because you can and ... as above... its 2016 and we have to recognize our diversity or whatever. 

The recent trend of well known, established and traditional heroes and characters suddenly changing race, gender or sexual preference just for the hell of it is pretty disappointing. 

But if a film rendition of "Heir to the Empire" presents Grand Admiral Thrawn as an oriental lesbian... well I'll have to off myself.

This kind of assumes that the "default" position for a hero is male, and/or white to be honest.    I don't see how a new story, with new characters, is an "unexpected deviation".  I have zero expectation of who the protagonists are, and why, and I don't care.   I personally don't care if they never show me another white male protagonist again, as long as the characters they do show me are actually written well.   If they're poorly written, 2 dimensional cliches, it doesn't matter what race/gender/sexual orientation they are, they're going to suck, and I'm going to be annoyed.

Besides, an asian lesbian Thrawn might actually make that character interesting.   He was terribly over the top with his "oooh, mmmm, I've studied their aaaarht, so now I know their combat strategies, mmmm, yessss."  attitude.  Oh, and that line was said with a Stewie Griffin accent, for extra sass.   Even when i was 12 years old and reading that series, I thought he was terrible.   So sure!  Bring on a lesbian Thrawn!  It can't be any worse than the original!  :D

But there's no gender swapping or race swapping in this trailer. At all. These are original characters.

The idea behind all this "diverse" or "politically correct" stuff is to make it so that it is normal for women to be leads in movies like this. Did you have a problem with the first six movies in a row having male leads? No? Then that is what we as a society are going for in regards to female leads, as well. The more female leads we have in movies, the more commonplace and unremarkable it becomes. When you don't even notice if a movie has a male or female lead, then we are done.

What's wrong with Oriental Lesbians?.... *goesoffandhasacoldshower*

This kind of assumes that the "default" position for a hero is male, and/or white to be honest.    I don't see how a new story, with new characters, is an "unexpected deviation".  I have zero expectation of who the protagonists are, and why, and I don't care.   I personally don't care if they never show me another white male protagonist again, as long as the characters they do show me are actually written well.   If they're poorly written, 2 dimensional cliches, it doesn't matter what race/gender/sexual orientation they are, they're going to suck, and I'm going to be annoyed.

Besides, an asian lesbian Thrawn might actually make that character interesting.   He was terribly over the top with his "oooh, mmmm, I've studied their aaaarht, so now I know their combat strategies, mmmm, yessss."  attitude.  Oh, and that line was said with a Stewie Griffin accent, for extra sass.   Even when i was 12 years old and reading that series, I thought he was terrible.   So sure!  Bring on a lesbian Thrawn!  It can't be any worse than the original!   :D

And there you go. Laugh

My comment on unexpected deviation was referring to what one would expect of an actor picked to play a role where certain traits were already established. (gender, race etc.)

I would be just as upset if  Mon Mothma was suddenly a grey haired old man or Lando Calrissean turned white!

Edited by ReallyoldGM

What? What trend? When would that ever be a thing and an issue? Who would cast Han as a little black girl or Lando as an old transgender asian? That is just silly. "Hey, guys, Chewie is a llama now."

So, Nick Fury is black in the marvel movie universe, he also was in the Ultimates universe, but still is white in the original Earth 616 universe. They don`t change continuity within the same universe.

So Hermoine was black on stage, so what? She was never described as white in the books and she will still be white in the movies?

So what trend? Does this trailer feature any established character who had a gender change? Star wars soerly needed more, and still needs more, female leads. Some more minorities would be nice too.

But what I want, are more droid and alien leads... No, really! :D

Edited by RodianClone

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2013/05/25-movie-characters-that-inexplicably.html#.VwaLddIrJ2Q

This was just my first google. But nuff said really, Im not looking for an argument.

It just seems odd to me that if Im in charge of casting on a motion picture derived from a previously written work that I would arbitrarily make a major change to a character, just because. 

Consider if they had cast a little white, blonde headed girl to play the part of Mowgli in the Jungle Book film.

And none of this has anything to do with the casting in "Rogue One", its looks great. Cant wait!  I was just a little surprised after Rey that they did it again so soon.

Edited by ReallyoldGM